Riding Clothes - In Praise of Clown Suits

Alaskan

People poke fun at roadies with their "clown suits" I ride three time a week with groups of roadies and have realized that there is a method to their madness besides the great convenience of the three pockets on the back.

I've been collecting garish, fun and very visible vintage bike jerseys on ebay, the more brightly colored, the better. I want all the elements possible to make sure I am seen by motorists...lights, lazers, reflective stripes & sidewalls and yes...clown suits.

ashdad.jpg

20191003_070100.jpg

20191003_070150.jpg

IMG-2165.JPG

Last edited:
I wear an ANSI yellow safety vest with reflective stripes: https://www.mcmaster.com/8324T15
Worn by serious contruction workers everywhere.
Over long sleeve cotton red top mechanics tunic, long dickies polyester/cotton pants. which prevented pavement burns when I was knocked off the bike by a car labor day. Also numerous other pavement encounters. The dark blue clothing prevents sunburn, as well as wicking the sweat effectively.
I'm happy you never get thrown or knocked off to the ground.

Attachments

• vest-hivis-ansicl2-mcmaster.png
    vest-hivis-ansicl2-mcmaster.png
    65 KB · Views: 472
I 100% agree with that type of clothing. No more cargo shorts binding on my legs, the cycling jerseys wick off sweat (despite the disdain of sweating by a lot of eBike riders), and with colder weather coming up, easier to layer! I also ride a tad pole eTrike. The first and last time I had to stop on the trail to drop my shorts to get a big bug out, the cycling shorts have been worn every time since. Cargo shorts on a tadpole make a great air scoop for flying insects! And lastly the padding in cycling shorts makes those 40 mile rides on my eBikes much more pleasurable.

People poke fun at roadies with their "clown suits" I ride three time a week with groups of roadies and have realized that there is a method to their madness besides the great convenience of the three pockets on the back.

I've been collecting garish, fun and very visible vintage bike jerseys on ebay, the more brightly colored, the better. I want all the elements possible to make sure I am seen by motorists...lights, lazers, reflective stripes & sidewalls and yes...clown suits.

View attachment 39450View attachment 39451View attachment 39452View attachment 39453
You will not pass unseen ;)

No biking jerseys here yet -- though once or twice I wouldn't have minded a pocket on the back!
Like @indianajo, I wear a screaming safety-yellow vest with reflector stripes seen in, from Dicks Sporting Goods I think -- I think it is stocked there for hunters? It more or less my year-round top layer.
Although I like his vest better -- mine isn't nearly as "meshy" and so I feel like it doesn't breathe as well as his would -- it can contribute to warmth I don't want, in summer.
I wear an REI synthetic t-shirt under that, which wicks and dries pretty well. I tend to wear loose basketball shorts (at least, spring-to-fall) and that's more or less my standard biking outfit all through the 3 temperate seasons, for commuting to/from work, and leisure rides.
(PS - I have padded bike shorts, but I only wear them on my Bianchi, which has a firm saddle, vs my ebike, with a Cloud 9... I find the padded shorts + Cloud 9 are NOT a good long-ride solution for me.)

If I'm in shorts, only MTB shorts that are long. But much more often I'm in bike commuter pants (Arcteyrx A2B) that are appropriate to walk into and out of the office with (en route to the gym to change to appropriate attire). Much prefer the jogger's or trail runner's multi-purpose lines of clothing to cycling jerseys or roadie-bike-specific clothing. Shoes are Etnies BMX. I often ride home in my office clothes (nicer jeans and a polo...). My choice for tomorrow which will be 45F upon departure is a SWIX jacket I found on the clearance rack at REI for about $45 (a steal!) over a runner's long sleeve jersey (New Balance) and a baselayer. I really prefer trail runner's or jogger's shirts (always buy reflective) to cycle jerseys. I don't miss the 3 pockets on the back thanks to a small slingbag from Blackburn Design.
1570148554693.png

Gramicci gusseted trousers, Pataguchi cool weather gear, Lee Parks riding gloves, and Birkenstock shoes. All earth tones and neutral colors. I save the scary shirts for pajamas to keep the boogie man at bay.

Attachments

• 0DDA0687-DAC1-48E4-B5AB-AA763FC6551E.jpeg
    0DDA0687-DAC1-48E4-B5AB-AA763FC6551E.jpeg
    969 KB · Views: 467
Oops forgot. The helmet I never admit to wearing is blaze yellow.

Attachments

• BF23A17A-4140-412A-B7CD-5760954C2102.jpeg
    BF23A17A-4140-412A-B7CD-5760954C2102.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 431

View attachment 39450View attachment 39451View attachment 39452View attachment 39453
Just found this thread . Do you get a real strange reaction walking into a bar or shop dressed up in that ? Grin.
Bikers in my area are often dressed in Traditional styles. Like the couple in the buggy passing my LBS below.
20200731_144249.jpg

Last edited:
Many decades ago I developed a theory that being seen doesn't help - you need to be noticed.( motorbike commuting on a bike that looked similar to the police....)

I guess the clown suit might get you seen , but It'd be fascinating to do a trual comparing a clown suit to, eg , a criminal hoodie , or a g string and fishnet stockings? Measure distance given by cars / record laughter volume / rear facing go pro so you can see how many drivers activated record on their dashcam.....

Just please don't post pictures

Many decades ago I developed a theory that being seen doesn't help - you need to be noticed.( motorbike commuting on a bike that looked similar to the police....)

I guess the clown suit might get you seen , but It'd be fascinating to do a trual comparing a clown suit to, eg , a criminal hoodie , or a g string and fishnet stockings? Measure distance given by cars / record laughter volume / rear facing go pro so you can see how many drivers activated record on their dashcam.....

Just please don't post pictures
Not recommended but there are "Bike Naked Day Rides" photos online. Not Safe For Anyone, I suspect.

Not recommended but there are "Bike Naked Day Rides" photos online. Not Safe For Anyone, I suspect.
WNBR day is late May. **** it, my gut flab doesn't burn off until August! And Nutrogena just came out with SPF 100 sun screen.
When I fall off, I always hit my arms & chin. Everything else is safe from road burn.
Can't start summer training rides to camp yet, it is going to be 39 tonight out there. Walls & floor leak air, no point in heating that trailer. 43 several nights next week. !@#$$#% global warming.

OTOH .. A Cape ?

Attachments

• rain cape.jpg
    rain cape.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 265
I've been trying for quite some time to find the company that makes my avatar's biking jersey. Pinterest shows it as a cyclegarb.com product, but I can't find it on their website.
Can you tell I'm a Walking Dead fan? 😄

YBw6bFf.png

Back