Riding Clothes - In Praise of Clown Suits

I found out a lot about goretex. the stuff thats been around for many years only starts breathing when it gets damp on the inside. so there is no way around that. but now they have several types like packlite thats really thin fully waterproof and breaths well but it is not strong. then active that breathes the best of them all but again is pretty thin only 2 layers the pro thats good for both waterproof and breathabily and durability but it is really expensive. then aother one thats mostly for wind and only water resistant but it breathes great. one i have for when it is between 50 and 60 called shakedry it breathes really well and it is waterproof and you just shake the water off of it. Plus it packs up really small not durable but great to have on hand when the weatehr can change and it fits in a small space. then they can combos of them. I found a active three layer from REI I would have gotten but it as black.
Most of the kayakers around here (Bellingham) wear Gore Tex dry suits, which mostly function very well. The GT that they use for a dry suit is about the ultimate, as it has to keep you dry while totally submerged (unless you fail to close the zipper all the way). My experience with it, even on a warm day, is that you sweat and feel too hot for the first 15 minutes or so, then the temperature diffferential (beteen inside and outside) starts to work, and you suddenly feel comfortable, even though you may be working strenuously. I sent in my penultimate (next to last) suit for new latex gaskets, and they determined the GT had started to delaminate, so they sent me a new dry suit. That is a serious warranty; on the other hand, the first cost is so high that you've probably paid for at least 2 if not 3 suits with your first purchase.
On my first paddling trip to Alaska (Kenai Fjords), the leaders advised against any wet suit or other protection as "You'll die within a few minutes, the water is so cold up here." But I think a good drysuit would have made survival at least possible.

This is not a clown suit or particularly garish, but since we're talking specialized biking clothes, I thought I should add my favorite lightweight sun shirt from Club Ride:

sunShirt.png

This thing is awesome for riding in warmer weather where you need some protection on your arms. Others like it for protection from the sun, but where I ride it's mosquito-infested woods that it does a great job of providing protection. Also protects arms from small branches as you're zipping by.

My wife and I have a full collection of Hi-vis t-shirts, sleeved shirts and jackets along with Hi-vis helmets and gloves.

We never ride “invisible.”

https://pandomoto.com/blog/product-by-tag/cordura-motorcycle-jeans/ Can anyone recommend if these jeans are worth getting for riding? I'm new and starting to look for clothes. Thanks!
Motorcycle jeans would be awful, really awful. I wear mountain bike shorts myself.

I ride motorcycles and have Kevlar lined Cortech jeans with knee armor, they are HOT and HEAVY. But offer much more protection than regular thin cotton blue jeans. I wouldn't wear armored or lined street motorcycle gear on a bicycle. I have a friend who wear casual slacks, never seen him in shorts. Lots of light weight pants to choose from, I don't use much bicycle specific clothes unless I'm going on a long distance ride and need actual bicycle shorts. In the winter I wear athletic style sweat pants with padded bicycle shorts underneath.

Back