Riding barefoot

paraganek

Just curious if anyone else prefers riding barefoot weather permitting.
I have been running barefoot for over 7 years and hardly ever use shoes now.
Anything on my feet feels uncomfortable so I ditched shoes when commuting on my bike as well.

P1220923.JPG

I broke a few bones in my foot a couple of years back and have been working my way towards a minimalist sole for cycling - trying to get my foot muscles back into shape. My dream is to one day be able to pedal in some xero shoes, but feet are way too complicated for me to consider sliding down the road without some sort of abrasion resistance!

Think I'll try this sometime. But the thought of touching gravel and dirt is not appealing. So would prob be on a quick ride that avoids this...

When I was pre-teen growing up in SoCal I used to ride my bicycles every now and then without shoes. I used to hardly wear shoes. I remember a few times having some pretty bad scrapes and road rash on my feet. So I always ride with some type of closed toe shoe. I guess also my experience as a motorcyclist and seeing what happened to people's feet who wore flip-flops or their motorcycles and having some incident, not even a crash, that involved their feet being "mangled", also has me wearing shoes all the time...

I'll take safety over comfort every time...

No shoes might be barely doable with disk brakes, as you have. With rim brakes, on rainy days I had to put my foot down on the ground sometimes to avoid running in front of something dangerous. Don't fall; I don't even wear shorts or short sleeves because I do sometimes.

Flip flops maybe, but not barefoot....

I hate shoes. If it were not for broken glass, thorns and other road nasties I would gladly leave the shoes at home.

I upgraded my pedals to BC extra wide platform and they have razor sharp shoe spikes. I went the opposite direction and purchased Northwave MTB Escape Evo shoes when I ride. Too much of a tenderfoot baby to go barefoot other than at home on the carpet (still wear sock in winter at home).

That would be about the worst way for efficient pedaling. You would loose effort to the soft tissue compressing with effort. I ride a long paved greenway. Putting my bare foot on hot asphalt at the street intersections has no appeal to me.

I'm also a barefoot/minimalist runner (barefoot once a week or so with Luna sandles the rest of the time). I also don't like having my feet in restrictive shoes/socks. However, my commute is long and I've been using clipless pedals for 25 years, so I purchased a used set of Sidi Mega shoes off of ebay. They are extra wide and have plenty of room in the toe box. With those and my toe socks (Injinji), my feet are comfortable.

Fascinating, @paraganek !
I cannot fathom riding barefoot. But then I’m comfy in shoes normally and have very sensitive / ticklish feet. I’ve been glad to have shoes on during the minor mishaps on my bike—branches or briars too close to the trail, a pedal slipping out from underfoot and spinning around to whack my shoe, or sudden stop needing a hasty foot-down.
More power to ya if it works for you!

I grew up nearly always barefoot when at home, and rode bikes barefoot till I got my Schwinn 10-speed which had TEETH on the pedals. Oops!

If you're riding barefoot, what kind of pedals are you using?

I ride in sandals and flip-flops, but only those with a firm sole--otherwise my feet cramp up.

I grew up nearly always barefoot when at home, and rode bikes barefoot till I got my Schwinn 10-speed which had TEETH on the pedals. Oops!

If you're riding barefoot, what kind of pedals are you using?

I ride in sandals and flip-flops, but only those with a firm sole--otherwise my feet cramp up.

My pedals have spikes on them. I don't mind those on flat terrain but since half of my daily commute is pushing hard uphill (1500 feet)

I put thin foam covers over the pedals to get better grip with my bare feet. I cut those out of a yoga mat.

pedal covers 02.jpg

I'm also a barefoot/minimalist runner (barefoot once a week or so with Luna sandles the rest of the time). I also don't like having my feet in restrictive shoes/socks. However, my commute is long and I've been using clipless pedals for 25 years, so I purchased a used set of Sidi Mega shoes off of ebay. They are extra wide and have plenty of room in the toe box. With those and my toe socks (Injinji), my feet are comfortable.

Thank you Citycrosser. Will have to check out those when winter hits.

That would be about the worst way for efficient pedaling. You would loose effort to the soft tissue compressing with effort. I ride a long paved greenway. Putting my bare foot on hot asphalt at the street intersections has no appeal to me.

I am aware of losing some pedaling efficiency when riding barefoot. But it's the price I am willing to pay for the extra comfort I get :)

Back