Ride1Up Rear Brake Pad 500ST

GoinGrey

Anyone having an issue trying to adjust the rear brake pad near HUB motor? Using stubby and low profile wrenches wont fit. Being advised to buy a grinder by CS to grind down the hex wrench even more. You should be able to make adjustments with caliper in place without removing completely. Shouldn't have to spend money to make a specialty tool to maintain a simple task adjusting the brake caliper.

Last edited:
I had the same problem. You can grind your hex wrench into a pile of dust but it will never fit. The gap is just too small. I fixed my problem by purchasing Shimano 203mm disks and a proper spacer. Clearance of the 203 spacer required me to file down the outside corner a bit. The brake went on easily and is now simple to access the adjustment hex AND the braking is phenomenal. Have over 1,200 miles since the upgrade and very satisfied with the results. Cost to upgrade was about $30. Uses the same brake pads and calipers.

I had the same problem. You can grind your hex wrench into a pile of dust but it will never fit. The gap is just too small. I fixed my problem by purchasing Shimano 203mm disks and a proper spacer. Clearance of the 203 spacer required me to file down the outside corner a bit. The brake went on easily and is now simple to access the adjustment hex AND the braking is phenomenal. Have over 1,200 miles since the upgrade and very satisfied with the results. Cost to upgrade was about $30. Uses the same brake pads and calipers.
C2717A4E-023B-4251-9ECE-D14B1EE28E42.jpeg

Here’s the upgrade. Ride1up 500ST. I kept the front brake stock at 180mm. Don’t fix what ain’t broke logic.

Thanks for the fix and appreciate it, But sold the bike it was junk compared to even my cheaper ebikes I have, nothing but problems. Sounded like a bag of rocks and very disappointed upon delivery. I am very familiar with bikes and ebikes. CS just kept stringing me along with stupid ideas and responses. Maybe I got a lemon. For me I am a First time and last time buyer of a Ride1Up product.

Thanks for the fix and appreciate it, But sold the bike it was junk compared to even my cheaper ebikes I have, nothing but problems. Sounded like a bag of rocks and very disappointed upon delivery. I am very familiar with bikes and ebikes. CS just kept stringing me along with stupid ideas and responses. Maybe I got a lemon. For me I am a First time and last time buyer of a Ride1Up product.
Hope you found something that you like. I have enjoyed riding both my ebikes and get the exercise I need (70+ with mobility issues). Tough to walk or stand but I can ride with no problems. As you can figure, I don’t ride anywhere other than paved roads and groomed trails.

My 500 ST came with 160mm disks. I tried some cheap 180mm disks. It pulsated badly on the front so I switched back to the 160. The back worked fine and now has easy access to the adjuster.

Back