Ride1Up E-Bikes

Sandstone

Yesterday, I hit the "Buy" button for a pair of the Ride1Up 500 Series MTB for $999 each after seeing them mentioned on the Black Friday Deals Forum here. Shipped out of Oakland the day I ordered them and expected for UPS delivery Friday! In spite of no reviews and no brand specific forum thread on EBR, I was able to find several YouTube evaluations and got more info on their site at https://ride1up.com/. I had been looking at Rad Power, M2S, Voltbike, Juiced Bikes, etc. but liked the non fat tire model sold here at what seems like a great price with pretty solid components and a good fit for a range of rider sizes in a 1 sized frame fits most riders package. For Black Friday, they even threw in the $75 upgraded display. I'd love to hear form other Ride1Up buyers and hopefully find enough interest to set up a brand specific forum on this site. Hope that Court will get with the developer of this bike who has apparently been trying to get EBR to do a review of this bike.

Attachments

• DSC_0648-600x400.jpg
    DSC_0648-600x400.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,580
If you want a bike brand talked about here, you did the right thing in starting a thread including the brand name. Whomever is interested can easily find your thread by searching by the brand name.

BTW, I have no connection to the business end of things here at EBR. I'm a volunteer who enjoys participating in conversations about ebikes and ebiking!

I read a comment from another ride-1up customer on a different forum that he incurred some broken spokes on the drive wheel. As part of your assembly check out, you might want to get a spoke wrench and make sure none of them are loose or wiggling.

It takes some experience to true a wheel, but it requires none to fix spokes that are loose. Just snug them up if you find them.

Looks like a good buy. Hope you enjoy it!

Update - We received our new pair of Ride1Up E-bikes on the third day after ordering them via UPS. One box had a corner torn part way up, but no harm resulted to the bike which was wrapped in thin foam padding. Assembly was pretty simple with only the seat, pedals, front wheel and handlebar assembly to put on; air the tires and adjust the brakes. I took some time checking everything over and lubricating as necessary and securing nuts with Locktite Blue. The only minor issue was that the front brake cable on one bike was run on the wrong side of the forks so I had to undo it in order to straighten it out. Both bikes' batteries registered 4 of 4 bars on the battery housing indicator, so off we went to test them! I'm 6' - 2" with a 36" inseam and my wife is 5'-4" with a 29" inseam but the one size frames fit both of us ...barely in my wife's case. She is happy with her bike even if it is a little difficult getting on and off, but hey, she is just under 70 and I am just over! We rode 10 miles around the neighborhood and only then did the battery go down one bar. Handling and balance are good, the front fork did fine even hitting a speed bump at 20 plus mph, and the 160mm mechanical discs locked up the back wheel on pavement once properly adjusted. We opted for the optional upgraded display (which was an easy unplug the old one and plug in the new one) with 9 levels of pedal assist and we chose the mountain bike version with the thumb throttle rather than the twist throttle. We mostly rode on level 3 assist and used a bit of thumb throttle for greater assistance on longer or steeper hills. This allowed us to get a decent workout but still take on every hill. Neither of us have ridden in years and the E-bikes are what we needed to get back out. Now I look forward to taking he bikes out on errands to the store or library or just go out joy riding. Some friends who are 10 years younger came over yesterday. They just bought new non assisted bikes. He had been riding his regularly, but she tried hers once and into the garage it went. He was really impressed when he tried my bike and was really bummed that he bought non-powered bikes when he heard that we paid only $999 with free shipping! His wife would have likely used an E-bike!

Now looking for a rear rack that will fit with disc brakes and attach either to the seat post or to the one hole on the cross piece near the top of the rear fork. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• New Ride1Up-1.jpg
    New Ride1Up-1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 3,634
Bought mine in November and it was well packed. As Sandstone (above) said, the front brake cable was run on the wrong side of the forks , but I worked out how to untangle it and slip the front wheel on. The bike runs very well, though you should make sure to pump the wheels up to their maximum pressure; I stupidly rode mine with too low a pressure and got a puncture hitting a sharp crack in the pavement hard and fast - my fault, not the manufacturers. I have since installed heavy duty tubes and had no problem riding fire roads and street.

The bike is good looking and well built. At the low price (including added rear rack.... a must!!!), it is the best deal i've seen online. The owner responds promptly to requests for help, so customer service is excellent. The range drops quickly if you do a lot of steep hills; I'm going to order an extra battery for long mountain rides over 30 miles. On the flat it is about 40-50 miles at varying power assist levels. I ride motorcycles and think the power assist on this bike is excellent for effortless riding. When I want to ride it like a moped, I just turn that accelerator and I'm off like a shot. When I want a workout, I just turn the power off and I get all the exercise I need. I wouldn't take this off-road on anything more than a mild, light gravel/fire-road... anything rougher calls for much fatter tires. The assist going uphill is excellent.

AZOldTech:

Wondered if the Ibera rack mounts to the Ride1Up straight out of the box without any modifications. Did you attach the upper supports from the front of the rack to the two attachment points on either side of the rear wheel down a little ways from the seat tube and opposite the rear tire, or to the single attachment screw hole on the under side of the short horizontal cross member? Does the Ibera rack use any plastic parts or is it all metal construction? Looks like a versitle set-up withthe clip on bag or panniers. Thanks.

AZOldTech:

Wondered if the Ibera rack mounts to the Ride1Up straight out of the box without any modifications. Did you attach the upper supports from the front of the rack to the two attachment points on either side of the rear wheel down a little ways from the seat tube and opposite the rear tire, or to the single attachment screw hole on the under side of the short horizontal cross member? Does the Ibera rack use any plastic parts or is it all metal construction? Looks like a versitle set-up withthe clip on bag or panniers. Thanks.
I use Ibera racks (and bags) on all my bikes (that don't already come with racks - mainly one Haibike which comes with an i-rack) and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Full aluminum construction. No plastic parts. The only thing you will need is a 31.8mm seatpost clamp with rack mounts as the Ride1Up bike comes with those specific seatstays rack mounts for their rack. I also replaced the bolts that come with the rack with ones from home depot/lowes as they seem to not be as heavy duty for my liking (probably aluminum bolts and I replaced them with stainless steel bolts from home depot). Everything else attaches as normal (see pics). No mods needed.
Here is the clamp that I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V537I0/

Attachments

• IMG_20190118_110919.jpg
    IMG_20190118_110919.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,654
  • IMG_20190118_110847.jpg
    IMG_20190118_110847.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,383
  • IMG_20190118_110831.jpg
    IMG_20190118_110831.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,398
Last edited:
Just a heads up: Be aware that the 5pin HIGO green connector for the LCD display on a Ride1Up ebike is a female connector where all the other Bafang LCD displays look for a male HIGO green connector. So in order to try any of the other Bafang LCD displays you will need a HIGO 5pin male to male adapter. Since here in the US I found it very hard to find and order individual connectors, and the ones in europe ( https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/...ini-b-panelmount-connectors/higo-s5-bp-detail or https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/...d-adapter-cables-signal/higo-a-b-s5-s5-detail ) are either $16.50 or $26 with shipping ( €14.03 or €22.35 ) and they may take some time to get to you , I found it easier to order 2 Bafang extension cables from US https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bafang-Cen...Extension-Cable-For-8fun-Display/352553288850 or https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Extension-Cable-Motor-Display/dp/B07GDL1TSN/ and cut them and splice them with the 2 male connectors to make a new cable/adapter. Even easier (and less costly) would have been if Ride1Up had used the standard male LCD display connector instead of the female. At least they did not use those weird juiced bikes and Radpower ebike connectors. As I said... just a heads up if you decide to try any of the other Bafang LCD displays out there. (I'm trying the color 500C)
EDIT: The ride1up does NOT use a Bafang controller but a Lishui controller, so do not expect any of the Bafang displays to work. Also the pinout is totally different between Bafang and Lishui controllers. So your best bet is to stick with the Ride1up LCD display. The only other display that I heard of that might work (I haven't tried it to know for sure) is the Eggrider V.2 which is more than 2x the price and supports both Bafang and Lishui controllers. https://california-ebike.com/shop/eggrider-v-2/
EggRiderV2_cables_pinout-500x500.jpg

Last edited:
Did the Bafang Display work
Just a heads up: Be aware that the 5pin HIGO green connector for the LCD display on a Ride1Up ebike is a female connector where all the other Bafang LCD displays look for a male HIGO green connector. So in order to try any of the other Bafang LCD displays you will need a HIGO 5pin male to male adapter. Since here in the US I found it very hard to find and order individual connectors, and the ones in europe ( https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/...ini-b-panelmount-connectors/higo-s5-bp-detail or https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/...d-adapter-cables-signal/higo-a-b-s5-s5-detail ) are either $16.50 or $26 with shipping ( €14.03 or €22.35 ) and they may take some time to get to you , I found it easier to order 2 Bafang extension cables from US https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bafang-Cen...Extension-Cable-For-8fun-Display/352553288850 or https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Extension-Cable-Motor-Display/dp/B07GDL1TSN/ and cut them and splice them with the 2 male connectors to make a new cable/adapter. Even easier (and less costly) would have been if Ride1Up had used the standard male LCD display connector instead of the female. At least they did not use those weird juiced bikes and Radpower ebike connectors. As I said... just a heads up if you decide to try any of the other Bafang LCD displays out there. (I'm trying the color 500C)
5394-11.jpg
HIGO-AMM-5_11.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Did the bafang display work? I just ordered my bike, but was debating whether to get the display they offer on their website vs one on ebay and getting this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382890209301

Did the Bafang Display work

Did the bafang display work? I just ordered my bike, but was debating whether to get the display they offer on their website vs one on ebay and getting this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382890209301
Since this was on my todo list, and your question pushed me to do further investigating, I found the following pinout difference between Bafang and Kunteng/Lishui HiGo 5 pins connectors (see picture below). Checking the higo on the Ride1up bike that goes to the display I determined that the 48V and ground are on pin 1 and 2 (like the Kunteng/Lishui HiGo pinout below). So I will try to rewire the pins coming out of the Ride1up bike to be wired like the Bafang display pinout expects them and see if it works. I will edit this post in a few minutes once I've done the rewire.
EDIT: I've done the rewire but there could be an issue between the Rx/Tx control data lines between Bafang displays and Kunteng/Lishui displays. Cause the display came on but it put up a 30H error which is a communication error. So they don't seem to be compatible. However unlike the Bafang displays, the Eggrider V2 says that it is compatible with both and they will even send you a correct adapter if you tell them which one you have. But that is the only one I've seen say that. https://eggbikes.com/eggrider and https://california-ebike.com/shop/eggrider-v-2/
EggRiderV2_cables_pinout-500x500.jpg

Last edited:
I just ordered two Ride1 up mountain bikes. They are on back order so I have to wait a bit, in the mean time, I want to be prepared to assemble the bikes which looks simple. I only have an air pump the fills car tires/old style tubes. What kind of valve stem is on Ride1up mountain bikes. Will I need an adaptor to fill the tires?

I just ordered two Ride1 up mountain bikes. They are on back order so I have to wait a bit, in the mean time, I want to be prepared to assemble the bikes which looks simple. I only have an air pump the fills car tires/old style tubes. What kind of valve stem is on Ride1up mountain bikes. Will I need an adaptor to fill the tires?
Assembly is indeed very simple (video below). The necessary tool for assembly is included with the bike (a hex wrench). In addition the rear axle nuts are 18mm if you need to check them for tightness or to remove the rear wheel to repair a flat, and everyone should have a hex tool kit with them to check all the bolts on the bike are tight and for unexpected road repairs. The tires have Schrader valves so you will need a Schrader valve air pump. Most pumps I know has adapters for both presta and Schrader. Congrats on your new ebikes and have fun.

Last edited:
Assembly is indeed very simple (video below). The necessary tool for assembly is included with the bike (a hex wrench). In addition the rear axle nuts are 18mm if you need to check them for tightness or to remove the rear wheel to repair a flat, and everyone should have a hex tool kit with them to check all the bolts on the bike are tight and for unexpected road repairs. The tires have Schrader valves so you will need a Schrader valve air pump. Most pumps I know has adapters for both presta and Schrader. Congrats on your new ebikes and have fun.

Thanks, the type of valve stem was what I wanted to know. I have compressors and tire inflators but none that work for Schrader valve stems. I didn't want to get the bikes assembled and not be able to fill the tires. I'll pick up an adaptor and be ready when the bikes arrive.

Anybody have trouble with headlight? Plugged in I get constant light-on. Display dims when I push + for 2 sec. Light stays on.

Switching pos. and neg. connections no light. Not a big deal, but would like a fix.
Thanks

They sent s new head light. I think I will pull controller. It seems like wiring issue. I'm going to check USB see if that's wired to controller light.
Thanks for response.
I'll call them. They are very responsive. Nice folks

Back