Ride1Up 500 Series Speed Limitations

T Turtle

I've read the Ride1Up Series 500 ships as a class 3 ebike with 28 mph using pedal assist and 20 mph limit when using the throttle only. I'm curious if there is any way to change limiting settings in the software to allow the bike to faster than 20 mph when using throttle only.

On other brands there is sometimes an option to change the wheel size in the computer. Set a smaller wheel, and the computed speed goes down.

That said, the downside is you no longer have an accurate speedometer, unless you use your phone gps.

Thanks Asher. Interesting idea. I'll investigate if "wheel size" is a programmable feature on the 500 series.

I've read the Ride1Up Series 500 ships as a class 3 ebike with 28 mph using pedal assist and 20 mph limit when using the throttle only. I'm curious if there is any way to change limiting settings in the software to allow the bike to faster than 20 mph when using throttle only.
The original 500 (which I have) has a speed of 25mph using the throttle or PAS. The updated 500 (from what I read) limits the throttle to 20mph and PAS to 28mph. I'm thinking the throttle 20mph limit must be in the controller software (which probably is slightly modified from the original for the bike to be labeled class 3 and be legal).
I was told the only difference between the original 25mph and the new one at 28mph is in the internal gearing of the 500W motor (and probably some software changes on the controller to limit the throttle to 20mph). If I had a new 500, I would swap the controller with the original 500 one to see if that ups the throttle to 28mph to see if my thinking is correct.

Back