Ride Scoozy Veego Semi Fat

Katysax

A couple of weeks ago I got a Veego Semi-fat. Bike arrived in great shape with little setup required. Derailleur and brakes were even pretty well adjusted. I rode a couple of days with the cheap platform pedals and my feet kept slipping off so I got a set of Crank Bros platform pedals that work great. All of the clamps and adjusters work great. It was easy to get the seat and handlebars to the right height and they don’t slip at all. I put 40 miles on the bike in the first few days then went on an R V trip with the bike. During the trip the bike on the back of the RV had an encounter with a fence that pretzeled the front wheel. Amazingly the polycarbonate wheel bounced right back to proper shape. Since coming home I have put another 26 miles on the bike. The rear derailleur needs a small adjustment.

Negatives are that the trip odometer resets if the controller turns off so I lose trip mileage when I stop. Motor has five assist levels and a throttle. The assist is not torque sensitive. There is a bit of a surge when changing assist levels. The bike could use a bigger chain wheel; it is easy to spin out. This is the fourth ebike I’ve owned. I sold one with mid drive about a year and a half ago because I thought I was moving. Then I had a year and a half break due to cancer treatment. While this bike is not perfect I enjoy riding it quite a bit. It is quite comfortable. Over the years I’ve had many bikes and ridden thousands of miles. I got this one to ease back into biking and to take on RV trips. Most people who are casual riders would be very happy with this bike and don’t need to spend more.

I am contemplating adding a mid drive to one of my other bikes but I’m surprisingly happy with this bike so I think I’ll keep riding this one as an all around bike for a while. Most of my rides are around 5-10 miles and don’t put a dent in the battery power available.

Last edited:
Ride Scoozy doesn't get much love on this forum. I have been very happy with my VeeGo 750. I took a leisurely sixteen mile ride on it this morning. The BMS showed two bars when I started and didn't drop to one bar until mile fifteen. I only live an hour and twenty minutes from the Ride Scoozy warehouse, so I was able to pick mine up fully assembled and with a fully charged battery. I do know that they assemble and repackage the bikes before shipping to the customer so you know that someone has at least looked at the bike since it got off the boat from China.

I have been trying to talk my wife into upgrading her $500.00 ebike to the VeeGo Semi-fat, but no luck so far. We are taking the bikes on a month long glamping trip to NC in July. Maybe riding in the Smokey's will change her mind.

I realize it’s a generic Chinese bike. More money will get you something more refined. I think it’s a reasonable compromise between a cheap Walmarttype bike and a more expensive branded bike. How much I like it surprises me. Upgrading makes no sense when I don’t know what would be better.

I had pretty much decided on the Rad Mini Step Thru then ran across the VeeGO ebike on YouTube. Couldn't really find any negatives on the VeeGo that I thought weren't with most bikes in that price range. As far as price both ebikes figure out about the same if you take into account fenders and rear rack, the Rad's all have a 750 motor where the VeeGo has a 500 motor and a 750 model, but now you are into a $2000 ebike, batteries are also offered in two different sizes 13ah and 17ah, so there another price increase, but Rad pretty much just gives you the top outputs and it's all done for you . Rad's customer service is top notch from everything I have seen on it so that can be Rad's biggest advantage. Rad has some 30 employees where VeeGo probably has 3-4 tops. All being said, I will probably go with the Rad Mini, but since both ebikes are out of stock at this time I will just wait and see how it goes.

trainman

I’ve got 1000 miles on mine. I have needed customer service and it has been excellent. I don’t care about power, just want a slight boost. The bike itself is pretty cheap and I have had issues but it’s working fine. I don’t know if Rad would be any better.

I bought a Veego folding fat tire bike last year, and after 600 miles of negotiating Seattle hills, I couldn’t be more pleased with the bike or the dealers support. I researched and road the RAD equivalent, but the Veego was a step through and a Class II bike so I could ride in the bike lanes. RAD did not market a fat tire step through at the time of my purchase. I am 75 years old and wanted a step through for myself ,and one that my wife could. The fat tire did well when negotiating our tram rail tracks. And, it being able to fold, allowed us to store the bike on our floating home.

Now here’s the kicker, after owning the bike for a year, it was stolen off front porch. It was locked. After a month, and the bike was not recovered, I began looking into buying another bike. I revised the new RAD step through that was not available when I made my initial purchase. After riding the RAD I found it too small. The RAD bike is rated for a 5’10” person or shorter, and I am 5’11”. An inch should not make a difference, but it does The Veego is a little larger in almost all dimensions. So I bought another Veego fat tire folding bike. And the dealers, must have felt a little sorry for me and included some bonuses. Shortly after purchase, I broke the kick stand broke and Veego provide a new one for 5 dollars.

Now, would you believe, a couple weeks after the new bike arrive and became my intra-urban vehicle of choice, the police recovered the old bike. Kudos to our Seattle Police.
The lock was jammed in the on position, but otherwise there was no damage. The thieves seemed to have ridden the bike until it ran out of power and discarded in in a yard behind a fence. The owner did not discover it for several months. . And the thief had attached, a probably stolen, LED light so we got a free gift to boot. My wife now has her own bike. Veego is sending me a lock replacement – also for $5.

As a side note, the new Veego bike had some improvement – upgraded front fork, throttle and handle grips. All nice improvement.

Hope this helps
Bob

Thinking of getting a Veego Semi-Fat, the one with the 400 (500??) watt motor and the 3" tires, but I am also looking at the Rattan LF 48v/13ah 500W LF500 Fat tire. Anyone venture to compare these two and offer an opinion? The prices are about the same at this point with the sales. Thanks!

I have a Veego semi fat. I put over 3000 miles on it. It was fun and I had a great time. I did feel that it had its limitations. I got a Specialized Turbo Como last Spring. The Specialized is a thousand times better. Occasionally I miss the hub motor with a throttle and I miss the small wheels at times. However I think anyone who can afford it at a minimum avoid an ebike that lacks hydraulic brakes. I can’t adjust the Veego brakes and get them to work well consistently. Also the fake mag wheels are terrible. They are not entirely true and there is nothing I can do. But the tires don’t seat right and it causes pinch flats.

I don’t think a bike like the Veego is meant to be ridden high miles. If you are only going to ride a few miles on the bike path every now and then then it is fine. I would switch out my brakes to hydraulic brakes but I’d still be left with the crap wheels.

Back