Ride Control Firmware

My bike did not come with lights, so I've added a battery powered light to my rear rack and wired an aftermarket headlight into the bike's wiring so it is controlled by the OEM headlight switch on the RideControl One controls. This may have been covered already, but I just powered up my Transend E+ for the first time since the most recent update and the headlight now comes on by default when the bike is powered up.
Really interesting. I just took my Explore out for a short test ride. Very first thing I noticed is that the headlight indicator (I have no hardwired headlight (use 'light in motion' light)) is now 'ON' and cannot be switched to 'OFF' (so far). This was not the case prior to this most recent update. All the power setting were as before. Of course, no change/improvement in the auto assist issues so I am simply defaulting to manual control. 'Always On' seems like a good idea but I kind of like to have control over such things. Thanks for you last description of what software and firmware is where. Helps make sense of what I am seeing.

I just got my Explore and the RideControl app a few weeks ago. Where in the app is the firmware upgrade option? The app updated itself to the latest v1.2.1 but I have not seen any options to upgrade the firmware for the bike.
Hello Gbart,
I am very new to this so I can easily be wrong. I think that all the serious firmware upgrades for the bike itself are done by bike shops. It seems that the APP only modifies some elements within the bike. I would appreciate it if you let me know how your Auto Assist is working.

Hello Gbart,
I am very new to this so I can easily be wrong. I think that all the serious firmware upgrades for the bike itself are done by bike shops. It seems that the APP only modifies some elements within the bike. I would appreciate it if you let me know how your Auto Assist is working.
I was wondering about the updates because various members have posted about starting the firmware update in the app and getting stuck at x% and having to try again. There is no option in my app to do any firmware updates. I’m guessing that it might be an “on demand” thing that only appears when the app detects that the firmware on the bike doesn’t match the latest version.

I’ve only managed to get out on the bike about 3 or 4 times since getting it due to the weather. We are quite snowed under and I don’t want to get the bike covered in salt spray and slush quite yet. ❄️ :eek: All I can say is that the Auto Assist works but I need to put a few more miles on the bike to get a proper feel for it.

Glad i'm not the only one who's lights now come on by default, only had the bike just over a week and it did an update on Saturday, thought i was going mad with the lights, maybe they were, maybe they weren't always like that.....
What's wrong with the auto assist? I leave mine in the auto setting all (most) of the time, seems to work fine.
Should it be doing something better than it is?

It should allow provide only as much of automatic assistance as you could ride on the battery charge for:
– Specified duration or
– Specified distance including planned elevation gain or
– Maintaining your heart rate at specified value.
Specialized do this. Giant AUTO basically means "provide tons of assistance without any form of user control". Try this:

Find a steep hill. Just ride in Auto. What happens when you start climbing? Adding extra assist? Nope.

I was wondering about the updates because various members have posted about starting the firmware update in the app and getting stuck at x% and having to try again. There is no option in my app to do any firmware updates. I’m guessing that it might be an “on demand” thing that only appears when the app detects that the firmware on the bike doesn’t match the latest version.

I’ve only managed to get out on the bike about 3 or 4 times since getting it due to the weather. We are quite snowed under and I don’t want to get the bike covered in salt spray and slush quite yet. ❄️ :eek: All I can say is that the Auto Assist works but I need to put a few more miles on the bike to get a proper feel for it.
I wish I could tell you more...I am just not an electronics guy. One thing for your area that you might find helpful if you use a bike rack for transport. Giant sells a black plastic cover that fits over the electrical contact end of the battery compartment (bottom, socket area where the battery is inserted) after the battery is removed. Fits pretty well. Claims are that it is water proof. I think water turning or resistant is likely more accurate. We have yet to get full size bike covers. Anyway, and more importantly, Happy Holidays and Riding.

Glad i'm not the only one who's lights now come on by default, only had the bike just over a week and it did an update on Saturday, thought i was going mad with the lights, maybe they were, maybe they weren't always like that.....
What's wrong with the auto assist? I leave mine in the auto setting all (most) of the time, seems to work fine.
Hello riverracer,
Glad to hear that your auto setting is running fine. I have just had some update issues and am often looking for people that have useful information. The manual modes are working well. The auto setting has developed surges and delays. I think most riders are having no problems so it is likely best to ignore my rantings.

I can confirm that after the latest update that the lights come on at start (I have an after-market Lezyne Macro 1000 light installed).

It should allow provide only as much of automatic assistance as you could ride on the battery charge for:
– Specified duration or
– Specified distance including planned elevation gain or
– Maintaining your heart rate at specified value.
Specialized do this. Giant AUTO basically means "provide tons of assistance without any form of user control". Try this:

Find a steep hill. Just ride in Auto. What happens when you start climbing? Adding extra assist? Nope.
Hi, Auto does work when climbing hills , but you must keep cadence above 60 or it stops changing power levels.

Hi, Auto does work when climbing hills , but you must keep cadence above 60 or it stops changing power levels.
The first thing the system expects from you in such a situation is downshifting. That will increase your cadence. However, the whole AUTO system is weird. When the inclination sensor detects you're about to climb, it should immediately increase the current fed to the motor, or give it more watts. Giant AUTO doesn't do it.

Secondly, who on the earth invented "changing power levels"? The AUTO system should dose electricity steplessly according to the information from as many as 6 sensors of Giant e-bikes. Smart Control in Specialized Turbo e-bikes works so and it gives a seamless riding experience.

The fact Giant AUTO "changes power levels" is the main reason behind the jerky riding experience. I'm far better off with manual changing of the assist levels combined with proper use of the derailleur. Actually, I change assist levels in my e-bikes very rarely.

The first thing the system expects from you in such a situation is downshifting. That will increase your cadence. However, the whole AUTO system is weird. When the inclination sensor detects you're about to climb, it should immediately increase the current fed to the motor, or give it more watts. Giant AUTO doesn't do it.

Secondly, who on the earth invented "changing power levels"? The AUTO system should dose electricity steplessly according to the information from as many as 6 sensors of Giant e-bikes. Smart Control in Specialized Turbo e-bikes works so and it gives a seamless riding experience.

The fact Giant AUTO "changes power levels" is the main reason behind the jerky riding experience. I'm far better off with manual changing of the assist levels combined with proper use of the derailleur. Actually, I change assist levels in my e-bikes very rarely.
Hello,
I think I concur...in previous form, the Auto system did 'seem' seamless or stepless. Very smooth and the rider didn't have to think about it. Derailleur shifting was matched by the Auto system such that the rider noticed nothing. There were no steps, pauses or obvious dependence on cadence limits for the smooth application of increasing or decreasing assistance. Mine did work well starting at near-zero cadence. The working solution is that I have gone back to riding exactly like I would on a conventional bike, only with MUCH stronger legs (motor)! I just have to pay attention to what the road way conditions demand and anticipate...you watch for what is about to be needed and shift in response. Someone mentioned this 'way back', it does seem that manual control and shifting is more efficient in that it pushing battery range up enough to be useful. I would have thought faster management by the electronics would have been better but, alas, I was wrong.

I agree. With the 50/34 chainring on my Explore E+ 2, I’m using the gears as I do on my Specialized Roubaix, shifting according to road conditions, and staying mostly in Eco mode and up to Eco+ for climbing. For me, it’s the bike-riding experience I enjoy, and getting 150km per charge is a bonus.

Hey gang,
I love to ride by myself but in the past few years my wife and I have taken to riding in organized rides around Texas. This year put a temporary stop to that. Back to riding by myself and waving to other, distant riders. Not much opportunity to stop and admire other peoples' rides. We hope things get better as we all creep forward. For those of you already into 2021 and those about to get there...be careful and keep your battery charged. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet somewhere.

Hello,
A question(s) for everyone before I start on an experiment. A couple of riders have noted the need to reach 60 rpm in order for the Auto Assist to change assist levels. I am usually a bit less than that. To the point...
Is this a noticeable thing once you get to 60 rpm or more? Do the changes seem to return the operation to what it was before some of the troubled firmware updates? Does the change seem to be consistently around 60 rpm? Any other observations that you think might be helpful? Many thanks. Alvin

@Alvin1957 I really like the Auto function, thought I can appreciate the points that others have made about the lack of smoothness. I use the Auto assist as a 'coach' when I'm riding. If I feel the assist back off a bit, I take it as a hint that my cadence is too low and pick up the pace or drop down a gear, doing either will reward me with more assistance and I happy peddle on.

Hello,
A question(s) for everyone before I start on an experiment. A couple of riders have noted the need to reach 60 rpm in order for the Auto Assist to change assist levels. I am usually a bit less than that. To the point...
Is this a noticeable thing once you get to 60 rpm or more? Do the changes seem to return the operation to what it was before some of the troubled firmware updates? Does the change seem to be consistently around 60 rpm? Any other observations that you think might be helpful?

Hello,
Is this a noticeable thing once you get to 60 rpm or more? Do the changes seem to return the operation to what it was before some of the troubled firmware updates? Does the change seem to be consistently around 60 rpm? Any other observations that you think might be helpful? Many thanks. Alvin
A continuation. After only 32 km at 60-63 rpm it does seem that the Auto Assist is working very similarly to how it operated 'right out of the box'. I think the 'surginess' might be related to variations in my cadence combined with variations in the applied force (from me). The lags I have seen vanished so long as I kept the rpm up. At that point I simply shifted down and the delay went away. I guess it does work as a notice that a downshift is needed. I figure that there will additional findings going forward but it does seem serviceable, just NOT desirable. At my age and with my knees, I don't hold 60 rpm. Comments are welcome.

I just got my Revolt back from the shop with a new screen installed. Was just so relieved to get it back after 2 months that I forgot to check to see if the new App worked.
Got it home and fired up the App. It told me that the bike needed to be updated to Ridecontrol 3-3.
Started the process and it got to 99% and then the dreaded "We encountered a problem" notice came up. Tried it 4 times in total with the same result.
iPhone and bike were fully charged.
Any advice on a 'home remedy' or am I heading back to the shop with it?

I just got my Revolt back from the shop with a new screen installed. Was just so relieved to get it back after 2 months that I forgot to check to see if the new App worked.
Got it home and fired up the App. It told me that the bike needed to be updated to Ridecontrol 3-3.
Started the process and it got to 99% and then the dreaded "We encountered a problem" notice came up. Tried it 4 times in total with the same result.
iPhone and bike were fully charged.
Any advice on a 'home remedy' or am I heading back to the shop with it?
Hello Skytech,
I am not very good at the electronic stuff but this is what other suggested...
Get as close to your 'router' as you can. Your cell phone signal strength indicator doesn't seem to be useful. Get close.
Start the update but stand there and intermittently tap the up or down buttons to keep the bike from shutting off before the update is complete. I don't know that this actually matter, at all. It did seem to stop numerous updates that I tried (could be my imagination).

I hope someone else can be more helpful.

Back