Ride Control, EVO Display and Auto setting for 2019 Liv Vall-E+

AndrewHy

My wife purchased a Giant Liv Vall E+ recently.

I have two questions regarding this bike. The Ride Control computer is not particularly intuitive, and in bright sunlight (lots of that in Australia, where we live) the LED lights are quite difficult to see. We have seen that Giant have an EVO display which would be ideal. Can someone provide a definitive answer as to whether an EVO display can be either added to the Giant Liv Vall E+ without removing the Ride Control, or substituted for the Ride Control? Our bike shop sales person does not seem to know.

My second question relates to an Auto setting on the Ride Control computer. I have seen it referred to. It is supposed to be the first option on the Ride Control, and is supposed to light up only the middle LED of the five LEDs. We don't seem to be able to get it to work. Should it work on a 2019 Giant Liv Vall E+? We hope so. It seems to be the equivalent pf the excellent EMTB setting on my Giant bike.

With regards to the Auto setting on RideControl - this is activated by pressing and holding the bottom power level assist button, this was implemented on the 2020 models and in a recent software update to RideControl for earlier models.

My wife purchased a Giant Liv Vall E+ recently.

I have two questions regarding this bike. The Ride Control computer is not particularly intuitive, and in bright sunlight (lots of that in Australia, where we live) the LED lights are quite difficult to see. We have seen that Giant have an EVO display which would be ideal. Can someone provide a definitive answer as to whether an EVO display can be either added to the Giant Liv Vall E+ without removing the Ride Control, or substituted for the Ride Control? Our bike shop sales person does not seem to know.

My second question relates to an Auto setting on the Ride Control computer. I have seen it referred to. It is supposed to be the first option on the Ride Control, and is supposed to light up only the middle LED of the five LEDs. We don't seem to be able to get it to work. Should it work on a 2019 Giant Liv Vall E+? We hope so. It seems to be the equivalent pf the excellent EMTB setting on my Giant bike.

I think you have the 'sport' motor in the hardtail mtb, which doesn't support 'auto'. The 'Life' version that comes with the LaFree does. But I've been known to be wrong. ;)

I am also relatively sure you can connect one of the older displays in lieu of the ride-control-on with just the keypad and led's.
While I'm thinking about it, you may be able to turn the key pad back a bit on the bar so it's more directly pointed at your eyes to better see it. There's no place any sunnier than so-CAL and we have no issue with any of the three of ours. In fact, Court even complained that they were too bright for night riding, which we don't do.

The evo display are a little spendy. A guy that may help further is @PDoz . He's had all of them, and he's in OZ.

Some more reading on sync-drive motor versions here: http://www.giant-loughton.co.uk/gb/...nology-what-is-it-and-why-is-it-so-good/23734

I think you have the 'sport' motor in the hardtail mtb, which doesn't support 'auto'. The 'Life' version that comes with the LaFree does. But I've been known to be wrong. ;)

I have a 2020 Fathom E+ 3, this has the SyncDrive Sport motor, as does the 2019 Liv Vall E+. My fathom supports the auto function and I use it often. I reiterate that Auto setting on RideControl can be activated by pressing and holding the bottom power level assist button, this was implemented on the 2020 models and in prior models this is a recent software update to RideControl.

Power assist ‘AUTO’: The motor automatically detects the amount of support the rider needs. The combination of the PedalPlus 6-sensor technology and the instantaneous response of the SyncDrive Life motor creates a smooth and powerful riding experience. It maximizes energy efficiency for both the rider and the battery system, optimizing power depending on the slope and saving power on flats and descents..... ‘AUTO’ assist level is indicated on Charge and EVO displays via power assist indication (G). On RideControl ONE, only the middle power assist indication LED is constantly engaged.

A better explanation is : Press the left bottom button after you turn the bike on (to reduce power assist level), after going to zero, continue pressing and the Auto LED will light up.

I did read that in models prior to 2020 this was in a recent software update to RideControl, I can't find that info again so I cannot verify. It is possible that the auto feature will not work without the PedalPlus 6-sensor technology.

Yeah, that's why it's on the 2020 models, not prior years. The 6-sensor was new for 2020, which allows this to work. We don't have 'slope detection'. ;)

Thanks everybody for the advice. We took Kiwi_Giant’s advice and held down the bottom left hand button after turning the RideControl on, and hey presto, the auto setting engaged. At the end of the ride, my wife was able to ride up our extremely steep driveway — hitherto a very remote possibility.

In Giant Control EVO used on 2020 e-bikes, the action to activate the AUTO mode is to long-press the Up Arrow button. I have discovered that incidentally.

@Kiwi_Giant,
I confirm your observation but interpret it differently: The AUTO mode does not give the motor enough juice when your Reign is ascending, therefore you must downshift. I still believe any advanced riding such as riding uphill are better controlled with manual modes.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts but this is rather an old thread and these posts are from March, there has been a number of software updates since then and Auto Assist is now activated and controlled in a different manner. You may well prefer to manual over auto but for some owners auto is a feature that they wish to use.

I wonder @Kiwi_Giant how would the AUTO mode behave in real mountains... Have you tried that? Practical or not? Better or worse range?

I do not use Auto all that often, mostly I'm manual and upshift/downshift. My point was that for some users auto is a major drawcard. When I have used auto, and it was working properly (in some of the software versions) it seemed to work OK. I would agree that battery usage is higher in Auto which could be viewed as a disadvantage. By far the best Auto integration was in version 1.4.2 (dated 19 Feb 2020) Software Version 20190802000, I felt that auto in this version was fairly seamless and quite practical on the trails.

Back