Revolt E+ Motor = EP8

Looking at the US E-bike c, and assification, the class 3 puts a lot of restrictions to it - only allowed on the road or bike paths. Most other paths regular bikes are allowed cannot be ridden on class 3 bikes. So this means the sole use for class 3 is either commuting or road cycling?
In Europe, the equivalent of a class 3 is considered a moped ( liscence and registration required ) and apparently not even permitted on bike paths, just on roads if I understand @Stefan Mikes correctly. That is what I do not want to see here. In Canada pedal assist or throttle doesn't matter but speed does, and anything over 500w is illegal. So the USA 750w, 28 mph rule is still pretty liberal.

For bikes that assist over 20mph, the US is about the most permissive in the world. Thats unlikely to change IMO. As a country we are really spread out and dedicated bike infrastructure is thin outside major cities. The battle is that so much dedicated bike infrastructure is under local control, and each locality makes up their own rules. So the state may say class 1/2/3 is fine, but that doesn't mean the locally managed (county/town/park dept/etc) paved path has to follow that. They can disallow everything, or allow only class 1, or even make up their own definition for whats allowed.

Agree. /offtopic The local control is not going to change ... not in the USA as we know it ... and I think part of the appeal of the three classes is that it gives the local manager an easy way to say "NO" to some bikes and bikers while allowing some that seem less likely to draw complaints. /offtopic

In Europe, the equivalent of a class 3 is considered a moped ( liscence and registration required ) and apparently not even permitted on bike paths, just on roads if I understand @Stefan Mikes correctly. That is what I do not want to see here. In Canada pedal assist or throttle doesn't matter but speed does, and anything over 500w is illegal. So the USA 750w, 28 mph rule is still pretty liberal.
I learned Denmark was the only EU country that allowed S-Pedelecs on her bike paths. (Other moped rules hold there). Still, I haven't seen many e-bikes in Copenhagen except cargo ones.

A quote from that article...
"To stifle or to foster, is the question. Or perhaps, do away with all such classification."
So far so good.
The author discusses the classes of speed and torque sensors to prevent a child or senior from going too fast "ghost pedaling".
But the author assumes it will be mandatory ( of course), b/c it's the EU he is writing to.

Last edited:
Depends where you live. I live on the outskirts of northern Virginia and mainly ride rural roads (mix of paved and unpaved, paved roads don’t have shoulders) and I use the class 3 speeds every time I ride. I’m not pegging it at 28mph often, but cruising at 22-25 on busier roads is pretty routine.

I probably wouldn’t notice much if the assist ended at 25mph instead of 28, but 20 would be pretty limiting.
I agree a 20mph limit is mainly good for climbing but for my 40 mile flat rides I avg 25mph

US page still seems to indicate Yamaha. Canadian site explicitly says EP8. A little weird. Both branded as Syncdrive, to make things even more confusing. They are different models (Revolt E+ for Canada and Revolt E+ Pro for the US). The Canadian bike is listed as a 2022, so maybe Giant is shifting from Yamaha to Shimano? My Emtb is a Shimano E8000, and I have to say I prefer the Yamaha motor on my Revolt. Its much quieter, a bit smoother and has 5 assist levels (Shimano has 3). No experience on the EP8 though.

I kinda wonder if its just a stock thing (if Yamaha hasn't been able to supply the quantity of motors Giant wants, I could see them going to another mfg, and they almost certainly have a strong relationship with Shimano already).
Also; heard in another forum that the Revolt with the Shimano EP8 might use the unused STI paddles on the left shifter, to change motor assist levels up and down. Anybody else heard similar rumors?

Also; heard in another forum that the Revolt with the Shimano EP8 might use the unused STI paddles on the left shifter, to change motor assist levels up and down. Anybody else heard similar rumors?
I've heard nothing, and it seems a little iffy just because why pay for a Di2 shifter when you can just buy the controller buttons, but I think you could do this today if you want. Shimanos whole Di2 system has fully mapable buttons and their steps motor systems integrate with those, so...

Newer Di2 shifters even have a spare button at the top of the brake lever (in addition to the usual two on the brake lever itself). I know someone who sets them to control screens on his Garmin.

You wouldn't need to purchase the left Di2 shifter, because it comes on the new bike. The report I read said the left shift buttons were wired to change the EP8 assist level up and down.

You wouldn't need to purchase the left Di2 shifter, because it comes on the new bike. The report I read said the left shift buttons were wired to change the EP8 assist level up and down.
Not sure but in USA the giant website for the Revolt E+ Pro list the controller for the (USA version is ) Yama syncdrive motor as controlled by the left di2 grx shifter. Of course who really knows considering some inconsistencies I have sometimes found when reading giant's website bike specs before so that could just be another mistake they made when building the different country websites.

-------------------------------------------------------
Motor Giant SyncDrive Pro (28 mph/45 km/h)
Controller Giant RideControl Ergo 4 Shimano GRX Di2

Back