Review of Gazelle 380+ Mid step

Congrats! Anything you did with shifter or it is just start working itself?
Thx! I just started riding the bike honestly. I rode it from bk to manhattan. Literally 5 minutes after I started I was able to shift to flat and super high.

Last edited:
Yup, that’s break in period….I guess it only takes a few miles.
Funny thing is I stopped riding it for a bit and now it wont shift all the way down again when stopped… lol! 😅 but this sounds like break in period just like you said.

When I started riding it again it magically can shift all the way flat. Keep in mind flat is the most difficult gear.

Last edited:
Funny thing is I stopped riding it for a bit and now it wont shift all the way down again when stopped… lol! 😅 but this sounds like break in period just like you said.

When I started riding it again it magically can shift all the way flat. Keep in mind flat is the most difficult gear.
You only get 50-60 percent of the shift range when stopped not full

You only get 50-60 percent of the shift range when stopped not full
This is what I see myself as well, however somehow I didn't remember this specific detail from any reviews - did I miss this? Or it is considered a well-known fact for Enviolo? I am coming from Shimano Nexus and this behavior is different from what I used to get. Dreaming about replacing it with Kindernay XIV, which is far superior is all aspects...

This is what I see myself as well, however somehow I didn't remember this specific detail from any reviews - did I miss this? Or it is considered a well-known fact for Enviolo? I am coming from Shimano Nexus and this behavior is different from what I used to get. Dreaming about replacing it with Kindernay XIV, which is far superior is all aspects...

Yes, well known fact, stated in manuals. Better than 0 percent for a derailleur. With pedal assist there’s no way you really ever need all the way low gears, and as soon as pedal moves a little you can get full range

Yes, well known fact, stated in manuals. Better than 0 percent for a derailleur. With pedal assist there’s no way you really ever need all the way low gears, and as soon as pedal moves a little you can get full range
Shimano nexus is geared, totally diff animal with totally diff attributes, won't shift at all under load one direction I think. Enviolo only tougher when under a lot of load so better to let up just a little when shifting uphill etc

I noticed that it is very hard to get to 28mph in eco on a flat due to the resistance. I was able to get to 23mph on a flat in eco so far.

I noticed that it is very hard to get to 28mph in eco on a flat due to the resistance. I was able to get to 23mph on a flat in eco so far.
That's the laws of physics, Swifty. The power demand to counter air drag is a cubic function. Expect 25 mph with the maximum assistance. 28 mph is only doable downhill, at least with mild slope. And, preferably, some tailwind.

I had interesting situations on my last vacation in the mountains (I was riding an e-bike equivalent to yours). While riding steep downhill, I didn't need to pedal, and reached 68.4 km/h (42.5 mph) on one day. On another day, I was riding downhill on a moderate slope; a roadie took me over. I discovered I needed to pedal to be able to catch up with him, so I switched to Turbo assistance. Guess what. I hit the 45 km/h (28 mph) limiter, and the guy was simply faster than I on his traditional road bike... :D

Last edited:
That's the laws of physics, Swifty. The power demand to counter air drag is a cubic function. Expect 25 mph with the maximum assistance. 28 mph is only doable downhill, at least with mild slope. And, preferably, some tailwind.

I had interesting situations on my last vacation in the mountains (I was riding an e-bike equivalent to yours). While riding steep downhill, I didn't need to pedal, and reached 68.4 km/h (42.5 mph) on one day. On another day, I was riding downhill on a moderate slope; a roadie took me over. I discovered I needed to pedal to be able to catch up with him, so I switched to Turbo assistance. Guess what. I hit the 45 km/h (28 mph) limiter, and the guy was simply faster than I on his traditional road bike... :D
I can bust 45km on a regular non electric road bike. For me its easier on a flat or slight down or up incline. The belt drive, at least right now, seems harder but it could be that I’m not used to it or that the bike isn’t broken in or both combined.

I can bust 45km on a regular non electric road bike. For me its easier on a flat or slight down or up incline. The belt drive, at least right now, seems harder but it could be that I’m not used to it or that the bike isn’t broken in or both combined.
Your road bike is not that heavy, and it puts you in the aero position (the most important thing).

Your road bike is not that heavy, and it puts you in the aero position (the most important thing).
So basically what it sounds like I can take away is that the whole e-bicycles in the bike lane thing that people in the US complain about and overregulate is ridiculous.

So basically what it sounds like I can take away is that the whole e-bicycles in the bike lane thing that people in the US complain about and overregulate is ridiculous.
You wouldn't be zooming at 28 or even 24 mph on a bike path or MUP would you.
The thing is it is so easy to accelerate on a Class 3 e-bike; and it is heavy.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.

You wouldn't be zooming at 28 or even 24 mph on a bike path or MUP would you.
The thing is it is so easy to accelerate on a Class 3 e-bike; and it is heavy.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.
You didnt. I was saying concerns are overblown. In every other country no one complains about ebikes on bike paths at all. But also that I almost never go above 20mph unless theres light bike/ped traffic on the bike trail. The people going the fastest in the bike lane are racing cyclists.

I was making another observation on top of what we discussed already.

Last edited:
So today I had my seat adjusted and boy what a difference that made. It was too high and was making my knees a bit weird. Now with seat adjusted my knees feel back to great again.

im getting 17-20mph with about the same effort as my other bikes and my knees dont feel it at all.

Last edited:
Hmmmm…. 🤔 The vibrations I keep feeling on this bike are making me want to take the bike back to the shop. I tried the demo unit again today and it worked absolutely perfectly but my bike has this weird vibration that happens on almost every pedal stroke. It drives me crazy. Also it doesnt feel as powerful as the demo unit. 🥺🤦🏾‍♂️

Hmmmm…. 🤔 The vibrations I keep feeling on this bike are making me want to take the bike back to the shop. I tried the demo unit again today and it worked absolutely perfectly but my bike has this weird vibration that happens on almost every pedal stroke. It drives me crazy. Also it doesnt feel as powerful as the demo unit. 🥺🤦🏾‍♂️
I don’t get any vibrations. Sometimes you barely feel as mid drive kicks in at first. I’d have them check belt drive tension or use gates app and check frequency. Mine stretched a bit at first and nothing last 300 miles. Make sure axle nuts tight as well

Back