Review of Gazelle 380+ Mid step

Gazelle

Region
USA
I just want to put it out there that for a 200lb 6’4” frame the 57cm mid step is fantastic with about 4.5” of seat tube above frame.

This bike rides like a cadillac and although the range is a bit better on C380 with 65nm vs 85nm of torque, and the speed motor makes a little bit of noise- I am glad I went with the plus for when I need to jump into traffic and catch up or take myself up hills easily (as am only 39 but blown out right knee prevents any real cycling uphill, hence I have ridden bmw motorcycles the last 15 years).

The bike stops on a dime with MT420 4 piston Shimano hydraulic brakes. Nuvinci C380 CVT and gates drive bring cycling into the 21st century in my opinion. I would not ride a dearallieur for love money or sainthood. Drove shaft drive bmw’s for a reason. If bike companies want more people to cycle put chain guards on at least so they don’t have to roll up their pants like a schmuck or look like a MAMIL.

Rode Bulls, R&M, Specialized, Trek etc. Derailleurs felt like I was 11 on my paper route again And the rest did not feel like they knew how to be bikes, like turn the E off and ride em is what I say. R&M quite nice but overpriced beautiful people bikes that scream look at me and steal me.

130 years of making bikes and efficiencies and economies of scale work wonders for Gazelle. I owned an old Oma Fiets Gazelle when I lived in Amsterdam but alas there are more hills in Westchester NY.

Fork is unbranded suntour- SF18-MOBIE45-DS-COIL-LO-R-15QLC32 700C. Has damper and rebound adjustments like a motorcycle.

Would be great to have another boss somewhere or dual batter option for mid step somehow. But this thing makes me want to find reasons to run errands for my wife! Very understated as well, which I like. looked at so many others and priority current as well as with Costco discount was $2600 without enviolo, but did not like IGH’s behaviors, and cannot support made in china or taiwan crap. I sleep better knowing someone in the Netherlands has a good paying job with benefits and pension etc because of what I bought and less people in concentration camps in NL. I vote with my feet and my wallet. And I am too poor to buy stuff twice, so buy the good $hit!

Attachments

• 76092ED4-83D0-4C55-8A87-EC4737735A57.jpeg
    76092ED4-83D0-4C55-8A87-EC4737735A57.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 640
  • A8A9466E-2AE5-4107-AD4F-D2B88CD92DD7.jpeg
    A8A9466E-2AE5-4107-AD4F-D2B88CD92DD7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 704
  • F6844873-C2B2-47CF-9628-36E4EFA04E77.jpeg
    F6844873-C2B2-47CF-9628-36E4EFA04E77.jpeg
    940.5 KB · Views: 646
  • D949DBAE-9579-4942-92CB-E1589DFF272B.jpeg
    D949DBAE-9579-4942-92CB-E1589DFF272B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 680
Also, I found these Look City whatever pedals to be waaaay better than the Gazelle pedals that cone with it, large bikes have the same size pedals as smalls? Seriously? Size 13 fit well, better support and great traction as vibram makes shoe soles. Gazelle pedals are fine but these are like being kn a solid platform vs diving board to me.

Attachments

• 212EECD2-6120-4356-9524-5A5352966AC4.jpeg
    212EECD2-6120-4356-9524-5A5352966AC4.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 518
Also, I found these Look City whatever pedals to be waaaay better than the Gazelle pedals that cone with it, large bikes have the same size pedals as smalls? Seriously? Size 13 fit well, better support and great traction as vibram makes shoe soles. Gazelle pedals are fine but these are like being kn a solid platform vs diving board to me.
Yea; most high-end bikes don’t even come with pedals because they are so personal. I’m on the third set for my Gazelle, SPD’s – the tried and true.

I think that's a great bike--so many proper decisions on the components outfitted to that bike. But, doesn't that bottle location defeat the whole purpose of a mid-step frame? Probably not an issue for you being so tall, but it may be for someone who needs the lower top tube.

I think that's a great bike--so many proper decisions on the components outfitted to that bike. But, doesn't that bottle location defeat the whole purpose of a mid-step frame? Probably not an issue for you being so tall, but it may be for someone who needs the lower top tube.
That’s possible. I love the location, just the right angle. I guess the C 8 or 380 solves that persons problem. I don’t like straight top tubes- ball busters.

Last edited:
bought the hi step. love it. had two weeks 150 miles. I got 75 miles per charge. but pedaled alot. I also have a BMW 1200GSA shaft drive. thats why i wanted the gates belt drive. Put a Kinect seat post on. expensive, but worth double the price. Love this bike. Hauls a$$ in turboView attachment 97173
Nice! Great minds think alike! I got a thudbuster coming cause found on clearance in portland, Kinekt will happen if I Like the thudbuster and if think need a bit more will put on wife’s bike and grab kinekt. My light has the firmware as always on, going to get dongle so can update myself and wonder how much mileage the light eats up per hour.

bought the hi step. love it. had two weeks 150 miles. I got 75 miles per charge. but pedaled alot. I also have a BMW 1200GSA shaft drive. thats why i wanted the gates belt drive. Put a Kinect seat post on. expensive, but worth double the price. Love this bike. Hauls a$$ in turboView attachment 97173
If you have big feet and appreciate comfort try these pedals.

I also added Kinekt seatpost as well as Schwalbe G-One Ultrabite 28x2.0 tyres.
just found out it shipped this afternoon and taking delivery TOMORROW!!!!
Heading to REI in the morning to grab those pedals. Thanks for the tip!

Nice! Great minds think alike! I got a thudbuster coming cause found on clearance in portland, Kinekt will happen if I Like the thudbuster and if think need a bit more will put on wife’s bike and grab kinekt. My light has the firmware as always on, going to get dongle so can update myself and wonder how much mileage the light eats up per hour.
I don't think the lights use much juice as they are led. But I only turn mine on when riding on the road with traffic, which i try to avoid doing.

I also added Kinekt seatpost as well as Schwalbe G-One Ultrabite 28x2.0 tyres.
just found out it shipped this afternoon and taking delivery TOMORROW!!!!
Heading to REI in the morning to grab those pedals. Thanks for the tip!
is that a tubless tire? I thought these bikes have tubes. Or are you going to run a tube in it? I would like a little more aggressive tire when these wear out.

This looks like an awesome bike and I'm looking tombiy something exactly like this, except in high step and with a 85 Nm Bosch CX motor (speeds are limited to 20 mph here in Canada). Gazelle does offer the C380 HMB, but it doesn't come in high step, and has the smaller 65 NM motor. My hunt for the right bike continues...

Oh I'd be happy with the speed motor, but they can't sell it in Canada due to regulations limiting speeds to 20 mph.

Back