Review: New LMT'D - new owner's perspective

Just got back from a 20 mile ride on my standard bike. Warmed up today - got a good sweat in. lol If I get an e-bike by early May 2021, that will be perfect, and hopefully no later than early June. I'll keep an eye on shipping dates so that I can be sure to secure a LMT'D (or other chosen bike) by those times. There should be plenty of feedback on the LMT'D's functionality with the KD218 by then.

I don't know how many of you are considering this, but I got my first flat tire yesterday after my ride. It was one of the things I was most leery about buying an eBike because I ride my bike every day and I get quite a few flat tires from time to time. When I was researching eBikes one of the things people always mentioned as a downside was the rear wheel removal. The quick disconnect for the rear wheel is pretty slick and removing the rear tire to patch the tube wasn't that big of a deal at all.

Putting it back on (the first time) was a bit of a challenge because there are more things to line up when you put the wheel back on, but I got it done without much fanfare.

Just turned 409 miles on my LTD and I'm pretty happy with it overall. It sounds like the next generation ones are going to be better.

I don't know how many of you are considering this, but I got my first flat tire yesterday after my ride. It was one of the things I was most leery about buying an eBike because I ride my bike every day and I get quite a few flat tires from time to time. When I was researching eBikes one of the things people always mentioned as a downside was the rear wheel removal. The quick disconnect for the rear wheel is pretty slick and removing the rear tire to patch the tube wasn't that big of a deal at all.

Putting it back on (the first time) was a bit of a challenge because there are more things to line up when you put the wheel back on, but I got it done without much fanfare.

Just turned 409 miles on my LTD and I'm pretty happy with it overall. It sounds like the next generation ones are going to be better.

Nice advice/insight. Where did you source your spare tubes? Have you upgraded your controller? If yes, any thoughts there?

Reactions: BET
Here are some alternatives to taking the wheel off. I usually try to repair the leak while the tire is still on the bike if possible.

And then there is good old slime!

The 700 may not be proven after-all. Someone reported that the throttle doesn't work when you are pedaling using PAS, and support told him it was normal.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-ride1up-700s-are-being-shipped.35874/post-312626
This function appears to work as expected in the LMT'D.

Edit: The customer responded again saying that Ride1Up said it was a design concept change. Hmmm. They are sending him a new controller to resolve it. I wonder if this was really an unintentional change as it makes no sense to intentionally make a throttle inoperable during typical bike usage of pedaling with PAS.

Edit #2: Ride1up is providing a fix using a USB cable and a software update.
This makes no sense. The throttle works just fine while using PAS on my son's Ride1up500. I never heard any other 700 owners say their bike had this issue.

Nice advice/insight. Where did you source your spare tubes? Have you upgraded your controller? If yes, any thoughts there?
It was a small hole, so I just patched it. I got a spare tube for my LTD last week from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwalbe-AV21F-Freeride-Inner-Tube-27-5-x-2-10-3-00-40mm-Schrader-Valve/124232391641?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=3188752643cc49bdb099200b26638718&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=11&mehot=none&sd=124232391641&itm=124232391641&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Schwalbe&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:4f236287-db35-11ea-b80f-74dbd1802af9|parentrq:d99492551730adaa67113692fffff57a|iid:1

I've already purchased two spare tires direct from the Schwalbe website. They have a discount on your first order so I ordered two of the same tires that the bike came with. They seem pretty beefy and I'm a big believer in not going with the cheapest stuff with regards to bike tires and tubes.

My bike still has the original controller. I don't have much of an issue with the surging I just learned how to adjust my pedaling cadence and it goes away.

It was a small hole, so I just patched it. I got a spare tube for my LTD last week from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwalbe-AV21F-Freeride-Inner-Tube-27-5-x-2-10-3-00-40mm-Schrader-Valve/124232391641?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=3188752643cc49bdb099200b26638718&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=11&mehot=none&sd=124232391641&itm=124232391641&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Schwalbe&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:4f236287-db35-11ea-b80f-74dbd1802af9|parentrq:d99492551730adaa67113692fffff57a|iid:1

I've already purchased two spare tires direct from the Schwalbe website. They have a discount on your first order so I ordered two of the same tires that the bike came with. They seem pretty beefy and I'm a big believer in not going with the cheapest stuff with regards to bike tires and tubes.

My bike still has the original controller. I don't have much of an issue with the surging I just learned how to adjust my pedaling cadence and it goes away.
The Schwalbe Almotion is a much better tire. Much faster rolling, lighter, and more protection if you run it tubeless. Cheapest way to shave weight, 1 lb each tire. A little bit skinnier though, at 55 vs 62.

This makes no sense. The throttle works just fine while using PAS on my son's Ride1up500. I never heard any other 700 owners say their bike had this issue.
You must not have followed the links I provided, because multiple recent 700 recipients reported the issue on FB, and Ride1Up confirmed the issue, and is sending the fix that I mentioned.

The 500 is an entirely different bike, and as mentioned in the info provided, it had nothing to do with older 700's. Follow those links to the FB thread for more details. I provided reference for proof of the issue.

By the way, even though I never said anything about the 500, a recent 500 recipient posted in one of those FB threads that he had the same issue with his 500 and was going to see if they could send a fix for him, as well. He was the only one that I saw report it with a 500, but most people probably wouldn't know how it's supposed to work.

Last edited:
You must not have followed the links I provided, because multiple recent 700 recipients reported the issue on FB, and Ride1Up confirmed the issue, and is sending the fix that I mentioned.

The 500 is an entirely different bike, and as mentioned in the info provided, it had nothing to do with older 700's. Follow those links to the FB thread for more details. I provided reference for proof of the issue.

By the way, even though I never said anything about the 500, a recent 500 recipient posted in one of those FB threads that he had the same issue with his 500 and was going to see if they could send a fix for him, as well. He was the only one that I saw report it with a 500, but most people probably wouldn't know how it's supposed to work.
Thanks. I had not seen the other posts until this am. I am glad they are fixing this. They seem very responsive to customers.

"All LMT'D bikes are now scheduled to ship between Sept 1st - Sept 10th."

I wish I had seen this email earlier. My LMT'D was scheduled to ship August 15th. Really thinking about cancelling my order. Not happy. Not happy at all.
On the plus side, it will include the newer controller, which provides much better torque sensor PAS response, and the new LCD, as well as some other improvements, which I think LumpyDog mentioned earlier in this thread.

This only proves the old time theory that it is not advisable to purchase a new model of anything. Owners of these products become the "paying" Beta testers. I'm not sure how Ride1Up has been handling the other initial owners of the Limited model in relation to the poorly functioning torque sensor, but their initial response was not good. Addressing complaints from myself and other owners with an email stating the torque sensor is performing as designed was a big untruth, obviously proven by the fact that corrections are already being done. LUMPYDOG persevered and really was instrumental in this correction. I would love to see a post from LUMPY one day saying he came home from work only to see an unexpected big box at his doorstep from Ride1Up. Now that would be customer service!!!

2) I picked up a Suntour NCX Seatpost (27.2mm x 400mm) and a Seat-post shim to adapt it to the Ride1Up's 30.8mm tube to a 27.2mm post. I liked that the NCX came with a neoprene cover for the shock mechanism because it keeps it inconspicuous. I mentioned in my earlier post - it's worth learning how to setup the front shocks. From the factory, Ride1Up ship the fork (for my weight) too firm. To get some pre-sag, I needed to dump air. I also adjusted the rebound to about 2:00 on the dial (11:00 being lockout). Setting up the Suntour seat post, I followed the supplied instructions. Voila - the bike soaks up bumps really well. The seat post works incredibly well - along with the front air shocks. At 28 mph, imperfections in the road - especially where roadwork has been completed and re-covered... the bike needs to provide that isolation. It's a good pairing - I recommend the Suntour NCX seat post.

Lumpy,
I see Suntour also sells a 30.9 mm *350 seatpost. Do you think this would fit the 30.8 tube ? How tight was it with the shim ?

Lumpy,
I see Suntour also sells a 30.9 mm *350 seatpost. Do you think this would fit the 30.8 tube ? How tight was it with the shim ?

I saw that 30.9 mm post and didn’t want to risk it. The shim/seatpost combo I used works perfectly. The shim is unnoticeable and the fit was snug.

I saw that 30.9 mm post and didn’t want to risk it. The shim/seat post combo I used works perfectly. The shim is unnoticeable and the fit was snug.
Has anyone else tried the30.9 mm post on the LMT'D? If it would natively fit the 30.8 tubes, I would prefer to go this way rather than shimming... but like Lumpy, do not want to take the risk in ordering if it will not fit. Anyone's experiences welcomed!

Better to be smaller and be able to shim then too big and not be able to use.

And you can use the smaller one on other bikes as you need them.

Can someone share some photos of the Lmtd Cafe style handlebars. Pictures on the website are not easy to see how swept back they are... second guessing my choice

I saw that 30.9 mm post and didn’t want to risk it. The shim/seatpost combo I used works perfectly. The shim is unnoticeable and the fit was snug.
Thanks for your review of the seat post. I bought the same one along with a shim but I did not install yet because I found the stock seat on my (Espen Sport) bike very comfortable.

Can someone share some photos of the Lmtd Cafe style handlebars. Pictures on the website are not easy to see how swept back they are... second guessing my choice

There is a review of the LMT'D on Youtube with the Cafe style handlebars. I asked the reviewer how he liked them and he responded they were very comfortable.

Back