Review: New LMT'D - new owner's perspective

hi, lumpy: actually, i've been doing the dog thing pretty well on that 700 series, using a leash holder called a Walky Dog, so i know i can do it, but the bike is my girlfriend's and i gotta get my own. i have a magnum but it's got some issues that i am working out but, anyway, i want something smaller and/or lighter and, now, with cruise control and perhaps the extra stability offered by fat tires. as to the 3%, i guess i knew that, and i agree with what you say. i wonder how lectric can do without it. maybe their sales volume is such that it's okay if people cancel/buy/cancel etc.

I give you credit Lumpydog for sticking it out. I couldn't get comfortable with the way the torque sensor was performing on my Limited. When I confronted RIDE1UP about this, and expressing my concerns that the initial buyers are the ones that are going to be disappointed, they assured me that they are not going to make any changes moving forward because they feel that is how the torque sensor system is suppose to perform. The following is the reply I received from Ride1Up in response to my email. It has been posted earlier in these threads.

"The torque sensor isn't a problem that we are working on any solution for. This is the nature of the BB torque sensor equipped with a 100nm hub motor. With mid-drives the acceleration is going to feel different naturally, and with cadence+troque combo bikes it's going to feel different as well. This is a BB torque sensor only ebike. The BB torque sensor is more expensive than the dropout torque sensor (used by companies like juiced for example) and requires less maintenance and is less finicky. However, with a torque only option, it will take some getting used to. It's taken me weeks to get familiar and accustomed to applying the exact amount of power/torque I am looking for. It's definitely a different system, but it's not one that we plan on changing to be honest. It's designed to operate in this way. The only real option to smooth out your motor application w/ a hub motor torque combo is to add a cadence sensor as well. To me, you might as well just use a cadence sensor only at that point. I've ridden the 'torque+cadence' combos a bit, but they operate mostly like a cadence sensor.
Hope this explains the setup a little. We will post a pro con of each model ASAP to our site, to assist in informing buyers of what they are getting into before ordering."

I've only complimented Ride1UP in many comments regarding customer service, return policies, and promptly addressing questions. This situation was not handled properly on their part. For those of you that have purchased the Limited model, you should give a shout out to Lumpydog. He has been instrumental in getting Ride1Up to address the torque sensor problem especially after seeing the response I received from them that I listed above.
After reading that reply when first posted, I did not like their reply and would have made me eliminate them from my list. But already removed cuz I want mid drive.

Here's a new video of the new controller.

At 14:10, he said that the motor stayed engaged for "pretty long" AFTER he stopped pedaling. What the heck? That sounds worse than some of the cadence sensor based systems, if that's true. I couldn't really tell by listening to the video. He needs LumpyDog's microphone.

Last edited:
Here's a new video of the new controller.

At 14:10, he said that the motor stayed engaged for "pretty long" AFTER he stopped pedaling. What the heck? That sounds worse than some of the cadence sensor based systems, if that's true. I couldn't really tell by listening to the video. He needs LumpyDog's microphone.

I watched the video as well and have been using the new torque sensor for a little over a week. His statement that the motor stays on for a pretty long time after he stops pedaling is inaccurate based on my experience. I just rode my LMT’D to get coffee and the motor cuts out in well under a second every time I stop pedaling. I tested this 10-15 times and the latency of cutout, after I stop pedaling, is maybe a half second.

Last edited:
Lumpy, do you know if the new controller a 22 amp controller also? The Ride1up web page lists the previous controller as 48V22A Lishui Sine-wave.

Lumpy, do you know if the new controller a 22 amp controller also? The Ride1up web page lists the previous controller as 48V22A Lishui Sine-wave.

it’s an identical controller - same exact model numbers on both. Only difference was the Factory exit date. Old controller was 04 2020 and the new 07 2020

Attachments

• F3DE6959-3A88-48A4-90A6-E1DF9F1AC932.jpeg
    F3DE6959-3A88-48A4-90A6-E1DF9F1AC932.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 613
  • E316AAB2-91A3-44BA-8F8B-A0514A58A986.jpeg
    E316AAB2-91A3-44BA-8F8B-A0514A58A986.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 602
I watched the video as well and have been using the new torque sensor for a little over a week. His statement that the motor stays on for a pretty long time after he stops pedaling is inaccurate based on my experience. I just rode my LMT’D to get coffee and the motor cuts out in well under a second every time I stop pedaling. I tested this 10-15 times and the latency of cutout, after I stop pedaling, is maybe a half second.
LumpyDog, thanks for that reply. It had me concerned. Someone saying "a pretty long time" is pretty vague, but I would have interpreted it as multiple seconds. I'm glad to hear that's not the case. A ~1/2 second sounds much better. That's a relief.

LumpyDog, thanks for that reply. It had me concerned. Someone saying "a pretty long time" is pretty vague, but I would have interpreted it as multiple seconds. I'm glad to hear that's not the case. A ~1/2 second sounds much better. That's a relief.

I asked Ryan to double check and also look at his advanced settings. His reviews / videos on the bike have been great.

I asked Ryan to double check and also look at his advanced settings. His reviews / videos on the bike have been great.
I watched the video again with the audio cranked up uncomfortably loud (due to the narration being much louder) to see if I could hear the motor during that part better. I still couldn't make out much with him talking and the wind at that time. But later in the video, he gets back to that issue again, and I was able to hear the motor stopping when he stopped pedaling, although it was a little painful/difficult because he's narrating during this same time. But around 19:00 and 19:35, with the audio cranked up, I could definitely make out the motor winding down and stopping multiple times. And it was pretty quick, not multiple seconds or pretty long. So, in the end, the video was more helpful, but I had to put in a little more work for it. I think it could have been edited down down some since it was pretty long with the bike riding. He had a section where it was going 15 mph in PAS 1 in 8th gear. He mentioned it being windy, but I don't know if that was against the wind or what. That's a little fast on the lowest assist, which is a perfect example of why I hope those power percentage settings of the KD218 will be functional on the LMT'D.

Edit: He later mentioned it was fairly easy to pedal the bike 12 mph in PAS 1.

Last edited:
Hey GenXrider, it seems from your recent posts that you may be leaning towards the Limited.
I am split between the 700 and LMT'D, because of the unknown functionality of the power assist level percentages with the new LCD on the upcoming LMT'D shipments. If the LMT'D will support those, then it becomes a much easier choice. The 700 is more of a "known quantity" to me. And with the LMT'D, it seems like it's more of a waiting game for the upgraded ones to ship so that we can get feedback on that LCD power config matter.

Personally, I would go with the sure thing. The 700 is proven. I decided to go in a different direction, a fat tire Sonders Fold XS and a Lectric for my wife. If I hadn’t gone with those, I would be selecting the 700. Ride1UP is waiting for your order!

The Sondors mid drive mountain bike is 65 lbs I believe. It is intriguing. I've gone from wanting to get in cheap with the 500 to "Oh, a new affordable mid-drive...". I think I just need to make more money, lol.

Last edited:
Personally, I would go with the sure thing. The 700 is proven. I decided to go in a different direction, a fat tire Sonders Fold XS and a Lectric for my wife. If I hadn’t gone with those, I would be selecting the 700. Ride1UP is waiting for your order!
The 700 may not be proven after-all. Someone reported that the throttle doesn't work when you are pedaling using PAS, and support told him it was normal.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-ride1up-700s-are-being-shipped.35874/post-312626
This function appears to work as expected in the LMT'D.

Edit: The customer responded again saying that Ride1Up said it was a design concept change. Hmmm. They are sending him a new controller to resolve it. I wonder if this was really an unintentional change as it makes no sense to intentionally make a throttle inoperable during typical bike usage of pedaling with PAS.

Edit #2: Ride1up is providing a fix using a USB cable and a software update.

Last edited:
The 700 may not be proven after-all. Someone reported that the throttle doesn't work when you are pedaling using PAS, and support told him it was normal.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-ride1up-700s-are-being-shipped.35874/post-312626
This function appears to work as expected in the LMT'D.
They are holding off introductions of new models until the receive your order
Look at the Rad Power City and call it a day

The heat index here is well into the 90's so if I get the bike by around the 3rd week of September the fall will be a great time of year for me to ride it. I don't care for the heat and humidity.

We had a cool down yesterday - very unusual, mid 60's in the afternoon, absolute high of 68. Also cloudy and windy. I took a ride on my standard bike, and it was uncomfortably cool wearing a t-shirt, so I cut it way short. I should have worn a sweatshirt. I'm used to riding in the upper 70's to upper 80's, usually with high humidity.

It's a stark reminder that I don't like riding in cool weather, so with these R1U shipments delayed until Sept., it makes it easier to just wait until next year to get one of these R1U bikes.

Last edited:
I heard rumors that R1Up has converted their control units from the gen 1 Limited bikes to bike heaters and are including them with any 700 or Limited purchase. You can make a purchase now and still have those warm and fuzzy rides when there’s a chill in the air.

Back