Review: New LMT'D - new owner's perspective

The LMT'D and Core-5 ship dates changed from Sept. 5 to Sept. 10. The 700 XR is still Sept. 15. I'm tempted to order one and am leaning toward the LMT'D due to the torque sensor based PAS (with new controller), lighter weight, and more powerful motor.
I was ready to get the 700 when the shipping date was August 25th,. I waited a couple of days and it changed to September 15th. I figured it's only going to get pushed back further and you can always cancel before it ships

Lumpy: I'm thinking about getting this bike but had a few questions that may or may not have been answered earlier or elsewhere ...

-- Does it start up in PAS level 0 or 1?
-- If i wanted to ride throttle only, is it a smooth, easy, steady rise to 5 or 6 mph?
-- How stable is the bike at those speeds? I have certain balance issues and would ideally like a fat-tire bike but their weight and cost are a lot steep for me.
-- Did you get the Ride1Up rack or an aftermarket?

Thanks!

I was ready to get the 700 when the shipping date was August 25th,. I waited a couple of days and it changed to September 15th. I figured it's only going to get pushed back further and you can always cancel before it ships
Something similar happened to me. I decided to order the 500, brought up the pledge page and 500 page, and they had just moved it from Aug 5 to Aug 25th. And it could be delayed further, then remember it takes a few days to be delivered, and there's a chance that there will be a problem with the shipment/bike that will require replacement parts from Ride1up. Assembly and validation by a bike mechanic for warranty coverage is required after receiving it. I'm probably just going to hold off for this year, which was my initial thought once the 500 shipping date changed from August 5th to the 25th. Some models are delayed even further, which included for people who had already ordered when the website had shown an earlier date. It wasn't their delay in ordering that was the problem. Ride1Up has notified them of further delays. So, I would have very few good riding opportunities left hits year, even in a best case scenario. I just need to make sure I order early enough in the spring so that I'll have an e-bike for all of next summer, and hopefully even a second one soon after the first.

One thing I've noticed in a couple recent reviews about the LMT'D is that the water bottle cage gets in the way of removing the battery. One reviewer said they were going to remove it. Heck, I've got 2 bottle cages on my bike, and I still need to carry extra water with me on the rack for my longer rides.

Last edited:
Lumpy: I'm thinking about getting this bike but had a few questions that may or may not have been answered earlier or elsewhere ...

-- Does it start up in PAS level 0 or 1?
-- If i wanted to ride throttle only, is it a smooth, easy, steady rise to 5 or 6 mph?
-- How stable is the bike at those speeds? I have certain balance issues and would ideally like a fat-tire bike but their weight and cost are a lot steep for me.
-- Did you get the Ride1Up rack or an aftermarket?

Thanks!

-- Starts at level 0 every time (I believe the new LCD that ships with the LMT'D lets you pre-set the startup PAS)
-- Yes it's a smooth acceleration - NOT a sudden jump
-- I've found the bike to be very stable. It's heavy (51lbs), which helps. Front shocks help remove harshness at higher speeds
-- It's a Topeak Tetrarack M2

-- Yes it's a smooth acceleration - NOT a sudden jump
I think flipper wants to keep riding at a slow 5 or 6 mph next to his dog walking with the PAS doing the work based on a post in another thread. Is it possible to ride that slow with just throttle without engaging and disengaging completely repeatedly? Based on an earlier post with mph's being posted, it sounds like the bike wants to go a lot faster than that.

Edit: for reference, adding link to flipper's thread about riding 5 to 6 mph next to walking dog:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ow-speed-ramp-up-smoothness.36055/post-308637

Last edited:
I think flipper wants to keep riding at a slow 5 or 6 mph next to his dog walking with the PAS doing the work based on a post in another thread. Is it possible to ride that slow with just throttle without engaging and disengaging completely repeatedly? Based on an earlier post with mph's being posted, it sounds like the bike wants to go a lot faster than that.

The throttle on the LMT’D does allow variable speeds but it’s frankly hard to hold the throttle in one place - other than all the way down. I’ve been able to hold the throttle at about 10mph minimum but - If you hit bumps, it’s hard to keep the throttle in any mid-range position.

I use the throttle to easily start from a stop light and then I take over pedaling once up to speed. If you want to just use the full throttle, it cruises at 20mph.

The KD218 display that the next batch of LMT’Ds ship with could potentially include cruise control - as this feature does come enabled on some Ride1Up bikes that use this display. However - on other Ride1Up bikes that feature is replaced with a walk assist that lets you walk the bike along with a low level assist.

Im going to go out on a limb and say the next batch of LMT’Ds will NOT have cruise control enabled because the LMT’D does not include a brake based motor cutoff sensor.

So short answer is - no, probably not the best choice to get a LMT’D to walk your dog with. Maybe a Lark or other motorized walker?

Last edited:
So short answer is - no, probably not the best choice to get a LMT’D to walk your bike with. Maybe a Lark or other motorized walker?
Just for clarification, flipper was riding the bike, so only the dog was walking. I added a link to my previous post to flipper's thread. The 700 series apparently worked better than his Magnum.

Last edited:
Well said

I'm in the same position. I'm 6'2" and 220. I'm thinking 750W might just be smarter. I emailed Ride1Up, not even knowing about the Limited to ask a question about the 500 and the guy steered me towards it. I think I'd be happy with the 500 but you can't make a weak motor a more powerful motor. You can ride a more powerful bike more gently though, lol. I'm watching you guys all work the bugs out. Great work, keep it going, lol.

I'm in the same position. I'm 6'2" and 220. I'm thinking 750W might just be smarter. I emailed Ride1Up, not even knowing about the Limited to ask a question about the 500 and the guy steered me towards it. I think I'd be happy with the 500 but you can't make a weak motor a more powerful motor. You can ride a more powerful bike more gently though, lol. I'm watching you guys all work the bugs out. Great work, keep it going, lol.
I'm the exact same size and weight so I'll let you know how the 700's motor works out.

Edit: for reference, adding link to flipper's thread about riding 5 to 6 mph next to walking dog:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ow-speed-ramp-up-smoothness.36055/post-308637
The heat index here is well into the 90's so if I get the bike by around the 3rd week of September the fall will be a great time of year for me to ride it. I don't care for the heat and humidity.

You can ride a more powerful bike more gently though, lol.
If you ride gently, that sounds like you're not going to get any exercise that is worth a damn, which is a problem if PAS 1 is too powerful, as it common on some bikes, even with just typical 500 W motors. My main reason for riding is for exercise but having the assist to tame the large hills. I've touched on the topic of minimum assist level power in this and other threads, and I went into some detail about having too much power in PAS 1 and how some bikes allow you to configure that in the following new thread:

The heat index here is well into the 90's so if I get the bike by around the 3rd week of September the fall will be a great time of year for me to ride it. I don't care for the heat and humidity.
When the temperatures are close to 90, and heat indexes even higher, I wait until evening to ride. It's much nicer then. I still sweat a lot, but that's ok since I'm not so hot then. I rode 66 miles on my standard hybrid bike last Saturday night (and Sunday early morning) finishing at 2:19 AM. It was some nice riding - really pretty comfortable. My riding days dwindle in the fall.

Ok. It was the bolded part that got my attention.

Got it - that was a typo and I just fixed. Meant walking the "dog" not the "bike". The LMT'D throttle is not really setup to hold a steady/slow speed like that. My other thought was maybe cruise control would work (set at 6mph) - but I don't see that being implemented on the LMT'D because it has no brake-based motor cutoff. At the end of the day - who walks there dog on a bike? That's a bit of a head scratcher.

My other thought was maybe cruise control would work (set at 6mph) - but I don't see that being implemented on the LMT'D because it has no brake-based motor cutoff. At the end of the day - who walks there dog on a bike? That's a bit of a head scratcher.
Maybe older with walking difficulties or handicap or something. My fast walks only top out about 4 mph, so 6 mph is kind of fast to walk, so maybe he's just wanting the dog to reach its prime walking speed without wearing himself out. When I had a dog 20 years ago, I used to run with him, and that still wasn't fast enough for him, until later in the run, and then he was the one falling behind. lol

Glad you brought up the cruise control again. I was going to respond about that before. I've never seen any reference to cruise control on any of the Ride1up bikes on the website, the bike guides, or the manuals for the LCDs that they use, including the KD218 LCD manual, so I was curious where you saw anything about cruise control. I might have missed something.

Last edited:
thanks, all, for your input. very helpful to the cause. in the meantime, i've done a great big flip flop and actually hit the buy button on a cheapo $899 lectric xp step thru. sure, it typically seems to arrive w/ a bunch of QC issues but once those get straightened out, lots of folks express nothing but love. for me, i'm enthralled with the idea of cruise control. set it at a steady 5mph and off my dog and i go.

delivery is not until mid september. the other thing i like is that you can cancel your order without penalty up until the day that you get a tracking number. ride1up, on the other hand, charges a whopping 3% if you cancel your order at any time. i think i'm right about that. meaning that if you order a bike and suddenly the delivery date gets pushed out, you can't walk away without taking a hit. i'm not a fan of that.

meanwhile, reason i use a bike to walk my dog is as GenxR surmised -- i've got a handicap, in my case an MS variant that makes it impossible for me to walk even a block under my own steam. ugh. but, my dog has his needs, so i'm trying to help him out. already have a trailer for my two pups. but the big guy wants more!

20200726_182207.jpg

p.s. sorry for going OT. i'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Glad you brought up the cruise control again. I was going to respond about that before. I've never seen any reference to cruise control on any of the Ride1up bikes on the website, the bike guides, or the manuals for the LCDs that they use, including the KD218 LCD manual, so I was curious where you saw anything about cruise control. I might have missed something.

Last edited:
thanks, all, for your input. very helpful to the cause. in the meantime, i've done a great big flip flop and actually hit the buy button on a cheapo $899 lectric xp step thru. sure, it typically seems to arrive w/ a bunch of QC issues but once those get straightened out, lots of folks express nothing but love. for me, i'm enthralled with the idea of cruise control. set it at a steady 5mph and off my dog and i go.

delivery is not until mid september. the other thing i like is that you can cancel your order without penalty up until the day that you get a tracking number. ride1up, on the other hand, charges a whopping 3% if you cancel your order at any time. i think i'm right about that. meaning that if you order a bike and suddenly the delivery date gets pushed out, you can't walk away without taking a hit. i'm not a fan of that.

meanwhile, reason i use a bike to walk my dog is as GenxR surmised -- i've got a handicap, in my case an MS variant that makes it impossible for me to walk even a block under my own steam. ugh. but, my dog has his needs, so i'm trying to help him out. already have a trailer for my two pups. but the big guy wants more!

View attachment 60722

p.s. sorry for going OT. i'll shut up now.

First - that dog trailer is awesome. You can see them smiling.

Second - apologies for not fully understanding your situation before commenting.

Third - given your situation, I agree cruise control on a bike may be a good solution.

That said, a bike is a less stable platform at low speeds and you will need to factor in the likely start-stop that a dog walk requires. Who knows, it may actually work! Try it out, see how it works and report back.

Lastly - the 3% charge that R1Up charges for canceling... they don't really charge that. It's what the payment processing company has already taken away to process the initial charge. R1Up doesn't keep that 3%. Just... they don't want to eat it if you change your mind before even trying the bike. People could charge and cancel repetitively and R1Up would go belly up. We all put a little skin in the game to save money on these bikes...

Thanks Lumpy, I had actually watched part of that video quite recently, but not the whole thing, or that certainly would have jumped out at me. I guess that explains it. Cruise control was only active on second gen 700's delivered in January and February before going to walk assist. And I agree, that I don't think we'll see cruise control on the LMT'D's with that LCD.

The KD218 manual I have actually calls the feature "push-assist" when holding that button down.

◆Switching Push-assist Mode On/Off
To activate the push-assist function, keep holding “-” button. After 2 seconds, E-bike is
activated to go at a uniform speed of 6 Km/h while the screen displays <picture>
The push-assist function is switched off as soon as you release the “-” button.

Back