[Request for advice] Looking for an appropriate charger

I recently got a used Jetson e-bike for free, and the owner says it works and I just need to charge the battery.
However, the charger itself is missing.

I need to find and buy and appropriate charger to charge it at home off the home-grid (I live in New York, US if that matters), but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electrics. Could you please give me an advice what kind of a charger it would need to be and where I should look for it?

The bike's motor is 500W, the brand is Jetson.

The Lithium battery has 48v, 17Ah.

The ID-code (??) on the battery says "HW 48V17AH 140608 144372".

The power connector is the same kind as used at computer monitors (I'll attach a picture of the charger connector that fits it).

Pic. 1: the manufacturer's tag on the battery

photo_2020-05-16_14-10-29.jpg

Pic.2: the battery and the ID-code (??)
photo_2020-05-16_14-10-43.jpg

Pic. 3: the C-14 charger end that fits the battery.

photo_2020-05-16_14-10-51.jpg

I recently got a used Jetson e-bike for free, and the owner says it works and I just need to charge the battery.

I need to find and buy and appropriate charger to charge it at home off the home-grid (I live in New York, US if that matters), but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electrics. Could you please give me an advice what kind of a charger it would need to be and where I should look for it?

The power connector is the same kind as used at computer monitors (I'll attach a picture of the charger connector that fits it).

View attachment 52652

View attachment 52653

View attachment 52654
When you say the connector is the same kind as used on computer monitors, it looks like you're referring to the power cord connector, correct? I've never seen this style used on a lithium battery charger so you may end up needing to change the charger's connector.

As to a charger, you will need a charger specifically designed for lithium batteries. Nothing showed up when I Googled this battery. 48V is fairly common however. An eBay search brought up dozens of generic lithium chargers that should handle this safely, after changing the connector. Prices were $20 and up with the lower $ units shipping from China. Domestic stock is more $, but still Chinese origin I'm sure.

Have you checked the voltage at the battery pack pins? It'd be a good sign if it was anywhere near 48V. A lot lower may be a sign of trouble.

Myself, I would just plan on changing the charge outlet, or adding my own. A pair of XT60 or XT 90 male/female connectors make this a simple operation that would reduce the difficulty of finding a charger that is able to charge this battery correctly MUCH simpler.

Fingers crossed on the condition of that battery....

View attachment 52652

View attachment 52653

View attachment 52654
BTW - The Jetson ebike web site, https://ridejetson.com/collections/electric-bikes, has 3 models available. All 3 use 36V batteries. They have replacement chargers, but just for these 36V bikes. A generic 48V lithium specific charger looks like the way to go.

When you say the connector is the same kind as used on computer monitors, it looks like you're referring to the power cord connector, correct? I've never seen this style used on a lithium battery charger so you may end up needing to change the charger's connector.

As to a charger, you will need a charger specifically designed for lithium batteries. Nothing showed up when I Googled this battery. 48V is fairly common however. An eBay search brought up dozens of generic lithium chargers that should handle this safely, after changing the connector. Prices were $20 and up with the lower $ units shipping from China. Domestic stock is more $, but still Chinese origin I'm sure.

Have you checked the voltage at the battery pack pins? It'd be a good sign if it was anywhere near 48V. A lot lower may be a sign of trouble.

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, I was talking about the power connector.

I found this on E-bay >>

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-2-5-Am...833177?hash=item285b435cd9:g:tL0AAOSwf05bA877 ,

It seems to match the specs and also seems to have the fitting connector pre-installed. Do you think this should do?

In regards to the voltage between the contacts, I just contacted several people on Letgo to buy a multimeter.

Myself, I would just plan on changing the charge outlet, or adding my own. A pair of XT60 or XT 90 male/female connectors make this a simple operation that would reduce the difficulty of finding a charger that is able to charge this battery correctly MUCH simpler.

Fingers crossed on the condition of that battery....

Thanks for the answer!
I might replace the connectors as you say, though I think I found a charger with the fitting connector.

Thanks for the answer!

I found this on E-bay >>

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-2-5-Am...833177?hash=item285b435cd9:g:tL0AAOSwf05bA877 ,

It seems to match the specs and also seems to have the fitting connector pre-installed. Do you think this should do?

In regards to the voltage between the contacts, I just contacted several people on Letgo to buy a multimeter.
The eBay description notes that this is a lead acid battery charger. This is not safe to use on a lithium battery pack. Be sure you include 'lithium' in your search criteria.

Thanks for the answer!

I found this on E-bay >>

Take a look at this charger,

Terrible URL, but it has a matching plug, is rated for lithium batteries and ships dometically; $22.

Since there's no industry standard for the polarity on these plugs I would suggest verifying it with your new multi-meter before connecting it to your battery.

Take a look at this charger,

Terrible URL, but it has a matching plug, is rated for lithium batteries and ships dometically; $22.

Since there's no industry standard for the polarity on these plugs I would suggest verifying it with your new multi-meter before connecting it to your battery.

Thanks! Once I check the battery with a multimeter, I'll buy this charger.

Geez, be careful here. There's a significant difference in the cut off voltage when considering LiFe vs. LiPo chargers. LiFe cut off is considerably lower.

Geez, be careful here. There's a significant difference in the cut off voltage when considering LiFe vs. LiPo chargers. LiFe cut off is considerably lower.
Yep. Should make this LiFePO4 charger the conservative choice.

Low (LiFe) cut off not necessarily a good thing when it comes to keeping LiPo cells balanced....

True. If the battery is a different chemistry it could shorten the life of a presumptively older battery pack, though under-charging has been shown to extend battery life, so maybe a wash. Hard to say without more specifics, which Google didn't produce for me. Lacking specifics on the pack's chemistry the only other choice would be no charger as using a LiPo charger could irreparably damage the battery, or worse.

What would you suggest at this point, given what is known and knowable?

Need to know more about this battery. If there are no external markings identifying it, taking it apart may be the only option. This, to identify the individual cells, which USUALLY are identifiable.

Need to know more about this battery. If there are no external markings identifying it, taking it apart may be the only option. This, to identify the individual cells, which USUALLY are identifiable.
I think I'll try to disassemble it as you say, just to be safe. Thanks!

Certainly doable, if the owner is up for it.

For the OP's refernece, here's an Endless Sphere thread on LiFePO4 vs LiPo batteries, https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26709 .
Reading the thread. Thanks!

I checked the voltage between the contacts with a multimeter, and it shows 20V.

What does it say about battery? Does it mean it's in a bad shape?

Not good news. Depending on the chemistry it shouldn't be lower than about double that. At 20V it's telling you that most of the cells are way below their spec'd minimum voltage or that one or more cells are dead. Low cell voltage can lead to early cell, and therefore, battery failure. Can't really say if that's all ready happened or not. You could take the pack apart and check individual cell voltages. If none are dead and you're willing to spend a few $ on the charger you can test the pack by charging it up. If the voltage comes up, you're good to go. Otherwise you've got a new charger and a dead battery.

Not good news. Depending on the chemistry it shouldn't be lower than about double that. At 20V it's telling you that most of the cells are way below their spec'd minimum voltage or that one or more cells are dead. Low cell voltage can lead to early cell, and therefore, battery failure. Can't really say if that's all ready happened or not. You could take the pack apart and check individual cell voltages. If none are dead and you're willing to spend a few $ on the charger you can test the pack by charging it up. If the voltage comes up, you're good to go. Otherwise you've got a new charger and a dead battery.
Ok, thanks, I'll disassemble it and see.

I started disassembling the battery, but there were many little blocks to disassemble and I didn't think I would be able to put it all back together, so I went and bought a new battery and a charger for it at a local e-bike store.

Thread closed, I guess, thanks to everyone for the answers and help.

TC, did the shop sell you a battery that is the same as the original Jetson? Then you might be able recharge that with your new charger.

FYI. If the battery's BMS is working right, it isolates the internal cells from the battery terminals when they go below minimum voltage. Your 20V reading is just residual charge on the circuit. It's not measuring the cells. A 48V battery will show the true cell voltages down to about 40 volts. Any lower than that, the BMS shuts off the output, Then it's like what you see if your battery had an on/off switch and is switched off. It's just residual charge.

A lithium battery that really got to 20V would likely go up in flames if it were to be recharged.

Back