Replacing valve core on a slimed tire

Bobsiii

After a series of flats 2 years ago I slimed my tubes, no flats since. However, the valve has gotten clogged and tire pressure has dropped. I ordered a core removal tool from Amazon, be here today. My question - am I going to get Slime everywhere when I remove the core to clean? Is there a position to put valve (Schrader valve, tire still on bike) in to minimize ? Anyone have any tricks or am I just inventing problems?

Semi-inventing problems! Just ease the valve core out slowly to allow the pressure to bleed off. You could have the valve core positioned at say, 11 o'clock as most of the Slime will have accumulated at the bottom of the tube (aka 6 o'clock)

I had some Kenda 26" fat bike tubes that did not allow removal of the valve core, so be advised. (I wanted to install Slime inside the tubes to go along with the Tannus Armour installed. Curious, it was as I never ran across that before.

A Schrader valve where the core was not removable? The only way that would be possible is that the core would have to be press fit. It had to be assembled somehow during the tube manufacturing. More likely it was cross threaded.

Presta. In all my years of riding presta tubed tires of all sizes, it was a first for me, too. Picture the inner diameter of the valve body that is too small to fit a core removal tool. That is the situation with a Kenda 26" fat bike presta valved tire tube.

I've replaced two Shrader valve cores on a factory-slimed inner tube. You point it up as you uncore it slowly, and let the air out slowly. After the second one got stuck, I just washed it in water and cleared the stem. I have a few Prestatubes, but they are not slimed.

By the way, I had an unbalanced tire, and thought I had congealed slime stuck on one side of the tube. I did not, but I took out the valve core and squeezed a lot of slime out anyway. I don't care for the stuff. I'd rather add it after a tire goes flat. and add air, to see if it works it magic there. It tends to work though, unless the majority of your holes are caused by uneveness and rough edges on the rim.

I've had two schrader valves with slime on them start to wear out the Milton steel valve removal tool when I tried to screw them out. Cut the stem off the tubes, threw them away, never used slime again. Slime brand tube was same price as unslimed schwinn tubes, but they should have given them to me free. I carry 60-80 lb cargo; I need to add air about 3 times a year to avoid denting the rim.

Last edited:
Back