Replacing brakes on a Diamondback Trace EXC?

raj

Not sure if I should be posting this under the Currie forum, but I've got a question about swapping out brakes on my e-bike. The Trace EXC has mechanical brakes. They're just not powerful enough. I dropped the bike off on Friday with a local bike shop to replace them with Shimano Deore XT hydraulics. The mechanic called me yesterday. He's not sure what to do about the kill switch that's built into the factory-installed brakes. He's going to call Currie tomorrow, but wondering if anyone else has a solution. The other option is to leave the existing brake levers and just replace them with better mechanical brakes.

Thanks!

Raj

Avid BB7's all the way. They are as good as entry level Hydraulic brakes.

You could go with Tektro Dorado or Auriga E-comp brakes which are specifically made for E-bikes.

Thanks for the quick reply. The BB7s were the ones he was suggesting to use if the hydraulics don't work out. They're half the price of the Deore XTs and I assume installation will be cheaper since he'll be using the existing wiring, so $250 vs. $500.

Damn that is a lot to install some bb7s! If you're in Minnesota I work for beer. Also, bb5s are the same minus on the go fine tuning adjustments (moot if you've got the right hex key), could save a few bucks there too.

ha... too bad, I go to Minnesota all the time for work (will be there Monday), but not taking my bike.

The bike shop was able to get the Deore XTs installed. they had to spend quite a bit of time on the phone with Currie to figure out how to override the kill switch.

I did a long ride yesterday. incredible! definitely worth it. the. The bike stops exactly where I want it. and the brake levers are so much smoother.

raj

ha... too bad, I go to Minnesota all the time for work (will be there Monday), but not taking my bike.
The bike shop was able to get the Deore XTs installed. they had to spend quite a bit of time on the phone with Currie to figure out how to override the kill switch.
I did a long ride yesterday. incredible! definitely worth it. the. The bike stops exactly where I want it. and the brake levers are so much smoother.
raj

How did they add motor kill switch to the XTs?

apparently the kill switch works with magnets attached to the brakes. when you pull the brake, it separates the magnets, which breaks the circuit. Currie told them to attach the magnets together. this was apparently not exactly right. they had to attach individual magnets on each side. they wrapped the magnets in shrinkable plastic so it looks really clean. will take a pic later.

raj

apparently the kill switch works with magnets attached to the brakes. when you pull the brake, it separates the magnets, which breaks the circuit. Currie told them to attach the magnets together. this was apparently not exactly right. they had to attach individual magnets on each side. they wrapped the magnets in shrinkable plastic so it looks really clean. will take a pic later.
raj

That's cool. Most E-brake switches are based on hall sensing technique. I have seen people use it and it does work fairly well (except for e-MTB's).
XTs are very smooth. Enjoy :)

Back