Replacement headlights

Bobsiii

My Metro came with Spanniga Kendo + headlight which is ok if you want someone to see you but ridiculously weak (says "40 lux") if you want to see the trail. When I went to replace it found out that Magnum runs it directly off the battery so there was 52v at the plug!!! Most lights are 6-12v, Spanniga rates theirs for 6-36v. Tried to add a stand-alone light but controller makes it mount off-center so crappy coverage.

I guess I could go with a handlebar front extender for a stand-alone, or somehow step-down the voltage for connected. What have others done? I don't have any feelings one way or the other about running off battery or stand-alone, not hugely concerned with aesthetics just need light as the daylight shrinks.

Roxim lights from ebikes.ca are run off my 48V and 52V batteries

"400 Lumen Ebike Light, Handlebar On/Off Push Button, 6-85V Input Range, and StVZO Compliant Optics. Can be Powered from Cycle Analyst"

Can you post a photo of your setup?
Just what exactly do you want to see? I came off my CA3, but you can also splice into the power with something like this.
Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 3.19.33 PM.png

I'm leery of trying to draw too much current through the controller headlight circuit to power a bright light. The wiring gauge can also be an issue.
Since I don't ride all that much at night, I use a handlebar mounted light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZY12WL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The light recharges via the USB port on my bike display and is easily removable for other purposes. Its 12000 lumen output turns night into day for the tunnel riding I like to do.

My Jones H bars have lots of space for this type mount but it might be a problem for more compact handlebars.

There’s really no problem taping in . I have rechargeable lights too. But prefer the wired in and run lights during the day to be more visible.

I wanted integrated lights - to me it's stupid to have to mount an externally-powered light on an e-bike. The problem is, however, oftentimes the motor controllers have underrated light outputs. On Bafang controllers, for example, they're typically 6V @ 500mA which is enough to light your Kendo but not enough to power something more worthy. It's straightforward, however, to add a simple circuit between your main battery and your controller to send the main pack voltage to your lights instead. Here's how I integrated the lights on my Bafang bike. As far as good headlights I can recommend:
I find for my commuter setup that 150 lux is more than enough - you really only need higher light output if you're doing off-road night riding IMHO. Remember - the higher the light output the more power you're going to drain off your pack - there's no free lunch!

it's stupid
Um, we all have our preferred method. None of which qualify as stupid, just different strokes, and varied needs. Two of my bikes are never ridden after dusk. Making a rechargeable set perfect for that odd day that a light is needed. My daily rider has integrated lights from Grin running off the CA3. As does my new build.

Um, we all have our preferred method. None of which qualify as stupid, just different strokes, and varied needs. Two of my bikes are never ridden after dusk. Making a rechargeable set perfect for that odd day that a light is needed. My daily rider has integrated lights from Grin running off the CA3. As does my new build.

Point taken. Different strokes to be sure.

Ordered a Roxim E4 fm ebike.ca, $80 + shipping. Tried to find a Busch & Muller IQ X E but no luck.
I was happy enough to buy a second one. I'd like to read your opinion once you've tried it!

Looking to get a front light for my ebike and trying to decide between the Roxim E4 and the B&M IQ X E. Anyone have any advice?

Also looking for a rear light. I like the look of the Grin one, but $60 seems silly expensive for a rear light and also it only outputs 14 lumens, which seems quite low to me. Any other options?

I have Cygolight Hotshot rearlights for our other bikes, so just ordered the Rear Mount for $4 off of Amazon to replace the light that came with the bike, and now can use them on it - super bright, long lasting re-chargeable. I've been putting off buying myself a full powered front light for a year or so, and finally bit the bullet and ordered myself a Cygolight Metro 1100 which should be here tomorrow that I'll be mounting on my handlebars. I have two already for my boys' bikes and they're great for daylight riding and for plenty bright enough for dusk/night riding too :)

I have Cygolight Hotshot rear lights for our other bikes, so just ordered the Rear Mount for $4 off of Amazon to replace the light that came with the bike, and now can use them on it - super bright, long lasting re-chargeable. I've been putting off buying myself a full powered front light for a year or so, and finally bit the bullet and ordered myself a Cygolight Metro 1100 which should be here tomorrow that I'll be mounting on my handlebars. I have two already for my boys' bikes and they're great for daylight riding and for plenty bright enough for dusk/night riding too :)

I agree that Cygolight provides the most lumens per dollar... a really good value. ;)

Haven't installed yet, takes some rewiring, sorta worried about blowing warranty (6 most left) by messing with wiring.

Back