Replace tire???

Talzoid

Region
USA
As I posted in my response to someone asking to post a picture up I kind of got a flat tire with a broken piece of a jigsaw blade. Because the cut is about 10mm and at about a 15° angle into the tire, I'm wondering if I should get a new tire itself or if I should try and patch it up with some epoxy or layer on some rubber cement?

Attachments

• 16941181756913578282591969745548.jpg
    16941181756913578282591969745548.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 16941182107524537243468726815564.jpg
    16941182107524537243468726815564.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 151
As I posted in my response to someone asking to post a picture up I kind of got a flat tire with a broken piece of a jigsaw blade. Because the cut is about 10mm and at about a 15° angle into the tire, I'm wondering if I should get a new tire itself or if I should try and patch it up with some epoxy or layer on some rubber cement?
If it were me, yes, I would replace it. I wouldn't have much confidence in it. I am sure it is structurally compromised.

You can probably fix that with a Park Tire Boot. They are supposed to be temporary but you hear plenty of stories about how they are still in place 6 months later etc. etc. The risk is you have cut tire casing cords so its a structural integrity issue. The tire boot would probably solve that long-term. But... unless you can't afford to buy a new tire, don't do the boot. Replace the tire.

That's what I was thinking because the tire from the company is 4-6 weeks out IF I order one (I'll be calling them tomorrow as my son's bike from them is having issues) and because it's an odd size (20"x3") there really isn't any alternatives. I use my bike for all my weekly needs such as groceries and appointments and with the place I live at I can get by using public transit but it's painfully slow even with me close to downtown busses.

It's hard to tell, even if I could see it up close and in person, but I think you'd probably be okay with a boot. Of course, replacing the tire removes any question.... I'd probably fix it and keep an eye on it.

TT

Spend the 40 bucks and get a new tire.

WEEROCK Bike Fat Tire 20/26 X 3.0/4.0 Inch Bicycle Fat Tyre Folding Bead Tire Electric Bike Tires Compatible Wide Mountain Snow Bicycle​

Brand: WEEROCK
5.0 5.0 out of 5 stars 4 ratings

50+ bought in past month

$32.49$32.49

That's a big cut, I'd replace it as soon as possible. Amazon has a lot of 20x3 to choose from with fast shipping. Most show Sunday or Monday for prime members. If you ever wanted a different tread, now would be the time to do it.

Spend the 40 bucks and get a new tire.
I found 20x 3.0 tires too. These are actually made by Chaoyang and they are the same tread as the Big Daddy that you usually see in 4.0" and 4.9" sizes. Chao Yang relabels this tire it seems for half the tire industry. I always found it to be a good, cheap fast roller with just enough knobs to be useful on a dirt road. Good for most anything, best at nothing.

My search on Amazon was "20 x 3 tire"

On the other end of the spectrum were these. 20 x 3 and usually marketed as the 'Duro Beach Bum' in 26x3 but another tire that sees a lot of different brands. I think its actually made by Innova. By all accounts its a solid tire with thick tread. The 26" version is going on my Mongoose Envoy I think when the current Vee Speedster 2.8's wear thru.

If I were stuck on an island and had to use the bike within several hours and couldn't wait for A New Tire, (best answer) I would spread open and fill the crack with Permatex Black Gasket Sealant and put a patch on the corresponding area of the inside of the tire. A New tire is the consensus.

1694212908720.jpeg

If I were stuck on an island and had to use the bike within several hours and couldn't wait for A New Tire, (best answer) I would spread open and fill the crack with Permatex Black Gasket Sealant and put a patch on the corresponding area of the inside of the tire. A New tire is the consensus.

View attachment 162243
Stuck on an island with flat tire and a tube of Permatex Gasekt Sealant?, and a tire patch? What a coincidence! You are one lucky guy PedalUma!

Okay, I concede. If I were stuck in my workshop and had to get somewhere while the new tire was ordered. I admit that I have done it with gravel tires. Got to ride that three-hour-tour. People have taken to smashing brown beer bottles on paths here. You don't see it until you hear the crunch.

Update on my Tire. As my funds are tight and I have had a few more mishaps happen I'm going to repair the tire the best I can ( full tire vulcanizing repair inside and out) also, the past 3 inner tubes I have purchased have all had factory defects (2 being seam tears and one where the valve snapped off so I'm starting to think my bike is cursed) Ill update next week, I now have 3 new tubes to try and get it up and running with (all free exchanges from the previous 3)

Well another update after approximately another 22 miles with some very bumpy portions not quite pothole but definitely half inch deep pops in the road as well as some areas where the pavement was just peeling away into rubble the tire seems to be holding really strongly there doesn't seem to be any flex or any bend in either the inside nor the outside of the patch 😁.... Here's to hoping it lasts through the winter🤞.... Also for those who were wanting a picture of it

Attachments

• IMG_20230915_200611913.jpg
    IMG_20230915_200611913.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 103
Replace it. You don't want to be out on a ride on a sketchy tire. I have ridden 6,000 miles over the last 7 years and never had a flat on a ride. If a tire looks sketchy I replace it before it can leave me working on a bike on a roadside.

You will likely be fine! Thanks for the update. I get that money is a relative thing. $40 is nothing to some people; for others it a choice between a new tire or feeding the baby or paying the rent.

You could have a brand new tire everyday and still have a catastrophic blowout 17 miles from the nearest place with cellphone coverage. Fixing and riding your existing tire is bound to be statistically more likely to get you in trouble, but if it does cause a problem, it might just be a slow leak.

I don't want to be all unicorns and rainbows about it, yes, the worst could happen, but I think you will probably be fine

TT

Replace it. You don't want to be out on a ride on a sketchy tire. I have ridden 6,000 miles over the last 7 years and never had a flat on a ride. If a tire looks sketchy I replace it before it can leave me working on a bike on a roadside.
Well then you are luckier than me because I've been biking for 38 years and I have yet to have a single year go by with any bike I have owned without getting a flat due to nails in the road or a pinched tire or having to swerve around a car that's going way too fast through a stop sign so yeah I know how to deal with many a bike tires especially out on the road. Sometimes it's not about how sketchy the bike tire looks sometimes it's just about the dumb luck of someone else not paying attention to the road.

New update, now at 215 miles and tire is still holding, however the outer patch does seem to be weakening so ill be looking at a replacement this month after i get my pitiful $100 for the month after rent...

Back