remove bike grease stains off clothes

hoboin

Region
USA
Hey all, i made a boo boo and dropped my most used rain jacket and it rubbed against the chain, leaving a bit of black mess on the front of the jacket that was instantly stained ofcourse. Anyone have a solution to use to get it out?

Hey all, i made a boo boo and dropped my most used rain jacket and it rubbed against the chain, leaving a bit of black mess on the front of the jacket that was instantly stained ofcourse. Anyone have a solution to use to get it out?
not much and a stain remover may cause issues. All my rain jackets get stains.

Good ol lighter fluid generally works. Put a cloth on the back side of the oil/grease stain and squirt the fluid on the stain then rinse with water. Might test a inconspicuous spot first. I’ve had good luck with grease spots using this method.

Old person answer…”Tell spouse” and buy new jacket. Wear old jacket with slight residue spouse left when out by my self and new one with her riding .

Edit: Read spouse my answer got laugh so must be correct answer!

As mentioned, automotive hand cleaner like Goop (one without pumice) works the best to encapsulate the grease. I rub it into the fabric and rinse with warm water. Second step is to use liquid hand soap or dishwashing detergent to remove the Goop / hand cleaner from the fabric and again using warm water.

I use dexron compatible ATF, followed by water rinse. dexron is 35% detergent, and the 5 w oil lifts grease better than water, anyway.
I wear binder clips on my pants to keep them out of the chain. Available from office supplies in packs of 6. The ones from Dollar Tree are too small to work. People that wear short pants to ride a bike have scarred knees and shins. Polyester pants & long sleeve shirts have kept my skin in original texture. Only my chin shows the scars of the road.

In my case, a regular wash in a washing machine is enough because it’s just grease. But suppose the stains are too difficult to remove. In that case, I carefully use a little stain remover solution to speed up the process.
There is no solution I prefer, and I usually use the one I have at home. Most of the time, it’s stain remover amazon because I have two little kids at home, and they need stains to be removed from their clothes on a regular basis. It’s a safe and non-toxic solution that can cause 0 health issues. And it also works wonders with my grease stains. Just a few drops, and the stain is gone – just need to rinse well.

Last edited:
I've always found a soak in AJAX soap does a better job than Dawn, but really any good degreasing dish soap would/should git'er'dun.

Though this is something I've NOT had issues with ever since I gave up on chain lube and switched to waxing. Boiling the chain in a mix of wax and teflon powder blows conventional lubes out of the water... to the point that if they did this at the factory, it would put the entire bike lube industry out of business.

Today's project is actually me restoring my old 3 speed to riding condition -- want to ride with a lady friend and taking the e-bike alongside a regular bike is "unfair" -- and amongst the fixes like repacking the bearings, new front tube, and servicing the brakes -- I'm also going to clean up the drive train, and that includes stripping the chain bare for a nice soak in hot wax.

No road grime buildup, no marks on your clothes or hands, good for easily 5,000 miles or more before you need to bathe it again...

Worth every penny of the cheap $20 1.5 quart crock pot, $5 worth of wax, and ten bucks of PTFE powder to basically never have to buy lube again or waste time cleaning clothing just because it rubbed against the chain.

Teflon powder? Guess you have not read about all the damage done by this product with cancers and birth defects.

Teflon powder? Guess you have not read about all the damage done by this product with cancers and birth defects.
You mean the scare-mongering clickbait gibberish that has absolutely zero factual scientific or medical data behind it?

I mean FFS it doesn't even start to off-gas until 500F, and at that temperature both butter and low-acid rapeseed (canola) output far more toxic and caustic chemicals.

The only possible concern is in cheaply made products where perfluorooctanoic acid, a completely unrelated chemical, was used to aid in application. Some cheaper products didn't heat it enough to burn it all off. I believe the mere use of that chemical has been banned for almost a decade now. Some of the replacements aren't much better -- genx and other organoflourines in particular --but universally they're only toxic when overexposed to heat and should have cooked off during the application process.

But there is nothing dangerous about PTFE powder all by its lonesome.

Anyone who plays brass or woodwind instruments have likely been massively exposed to it, and there's zero outcry about that. Seriously, it's used in valve and key oils. It's used in many dry doorknob/lock lubes because graphite -- the usual alternative -- can actually wear out any brass parts. The actual chemical itself is relatively harmless, it's how some companies cheap out on using chemicals instead of high pressure sintering to apply it to pans.

Lemme guess, you believe the fairy tale nonsense about yoga mat bread too. Wait 'till someone tells you about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

Harbor Freight sells a yellow degreaser for $10 a gallon that is so good it will remove bicycle grease from a totally stained towel. It's good enough that I no longer throw greasy rags away. I just wash them.
What works best is to spray it on the stain, use a toothbrush and then hard spray with warm water from the hose. If you are slow rinsing it the grease will reattach before rinsing out.

Harbor Freight sells a yellow degreaser for $10 a gallon that is so good it will remove bicycle grease from a totally stained towel. It's good enough that I no longer throw greasy rags away. I just wash them.
I was actually in there Saturday, and was eying what I think yo mean, but didn't pull the trigger. You say it's good stuff? Might grab a bottle next time I'm in there. Thanks for the heads-up.

At my store they had the bottles tucked away under a cleaning table/sink thing. You mean this stuff, right?

Actually Kerosene works remarkably good if you have not washed it first . I read that years ago on Hints from Heloise . It smells but works better then anything else . Sometimes if it's a small spot Club soda believe it or not works . That is a fantastic general stain remover . What I discovered by accident . If you spray material with something to remove a stain . Take your wet/dry shop vac while the spot is saturated . It usually sucks the stain right off. There's no signs it was ever there. Rubbing it just smears it around . I can't tell you how much that vac trick worked for getting stains from kids or animals out of carpet . Spray a bunch of Club Soda and then suck it up with tank vac.

I've used Spray Nine for about 40 years. The best degreaser I have ever found. See some online reviews. Great stuff. Not sure, but a friend told me it wasn't sold in California.

I've used Spray Nine for about 40 years. The best degreaser I have ever found. See some online reviews. Great stuff. Not sure, but a friend told me it wasn't sold in California.
I used to use that and haven't been very lucky at finding it since Covid . Do you mind sharing your source ?

I used to use that and haven't been very lucky at finding it since Covid . Do you mind sharing your source ?
Walmart stores sell a 32 oz spray bottle. Most Home Depot's seem to have it, ~$5.50 for 32 oz. I like to buy the gallon size and in January 2021 Amazon had them for $8.08 per gallon. I bought 4 (just checked my A account). Now its $22 each. Be careful if you order it, Spray Nine also sells a multi surface cleaner and disinfectant version that isn't nearly as good.

The good stuff "Heavy Duty"

Screenshot_20220830-164935_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The other "Disinfectant"

Screenshot_20220830-164830_Home Depot.jpg

Walmart stores sell a 32 oz spray bottle. Most Home Depot's seem to have it, ~$5.50 for 32 oz. I like to buy the gallon size and in January 2021 Amazon had them for $8.08 per gallon. I bought 4 (just checked my A account). Now its $22 each. Be careful if you order it, Spray Nine also sells a multi surface cleaner and disinfectant version that isn't nearly as good.

The good stuff "Heavy Duty"

View attachment 133768

The other "Disinfectant"

View attachment 133769
Thanks I was Googling Spray 9 and nothing came up . But after doing Spray nine Now Spray 9 works as well . Thanks

Back