Regular battery charging

The banjo

Region
Australia
I have completed the initial three 12 hour charges as per the bike instruction manual. From here on what should I allow the voltage of my my 36V. Samsung battery to fall to before recharging it?

There are varying opinions on this. I would check with the bike maker for their recommendations.
I keep my batteries charged to between 40 and 60% for long term storage. This chart gives a voltage to % comparison:

1545991790982.png

Consequently, I keep my 52 volt batteries charged to between 48.7 and 52.1 volts. I'm sure others will offer other suggestions but it's always best to check with the manufacturer.

BTW, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions!

I believe It's less stress on the battery to recharge at 50% than it is to go down to 20%. By that reasoning, I recharge most of my batteries after every ride. If you want to maintain longevity then, recharge your battery to 80% after each ride, and top it off at 100% just before you ride it again.

80% is 40V on your 36V14.5 AH battery. A subsequent 60-90 minute charge with a 2A charger will put 2-3AH into your pack, which is about the missing 20% to get it full.

Without an 80% charger, it sure gets complicated, I have a Luna 80/90/100 52V charger, so I can leave my 52V packs at 90%. I don't use them that much. However, my 36V and 48V batteries get used daily, so I simply recharge them after every ride,

By the way, in your other thread you said Luna claims their charger only runs on 110VAC. Wow, they must be taking different stuff than coffee on their breaks again, I have a Luna 80/90/100 52V charger, It clearly states 110-240. Universal switching supplies always run on 110-240. It's globalization.

I believe It's less stress on the battery to recharge at 50% than it is to go down to 20%. By that reasoning, I recharge most of my batteries after every ride. If you want to maintain longevity then, recharge your battery to 80% after each ride, and top it off at 100% just before you ride it again.

80% is 40V on your 36V14.5 AH battery. A subsequent 60-90 minute charge with a 2A charger will put 2-3AH into your pack, which is about the missing 20% to get it full.

Without an 80% charger, it sure gets complicated, I have a Luna 80/90/100 52V charger, so I can leave my 52V packs at 90%. I don't use them that much. However, my 36V and 48V batteries get used daily, so I simply recharge them after every ride,

By the way, in your other thread you said Luna claims their charger only runs on 110VAC. Wow, they must be taking different stuff than coffee on their breaks again, I have a Luna 80/90/100 52V charger, It clearly states 110-240. Universal switching supplies always run on 110-240. It's globalization.
Re the Luna charger - I actually e-mailed them and that was the reply I received. They do not make a 240v. input charger.
How does this sound? Recharge my 36v battery when it gets down to 36-37 volts until it is showing 40 volts? I ride the bike every day, sometimes twice a day.
I want to settle on the one routine if I can which shouldn't be too difficult seeing as how my use of the bike is pretty regular with a very similar routine>

There are varying opinions on this. I would check with the bike maker for their recommendations.
I keep my batteries charged to between 40 and 60% for long term storage. This chart gives a voltage to % comparison:

View attachment 102715

Consequently, I keep my 52 volt batteries charged to between 48.7 and 52.1 volts. I'm sure others will offer other suggestions but it's always best to check with the manufacturer.

BTW, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions!
Thanks for the welcome. See my reply below re. a charging routine. Don't know if its is correct but will give it a try until somebody comes up with a better idea. Lithium batteries are something else.

Too much Luna happy hour in California. DId you try Luna's Australian spin-off. I hear they have even more fun.

Off the US website, To be fair, they may have been thinking about the power cord - only for 110V,

luna.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 102715

So helpful thanks

Back