(Refund Refused/More Issues) My Experience - Brand New Stromer. 3 months of ownership, 2 months of repairs.

Here are some actual market data... ;)

Every year, leading German bike trade magazine SAZ bike sends surveys to hundreds of bicycle dealers asking them to score manufacturers in different categories.

When the results are in, SAZ bike publishes their rankings. The big news this year is that newcomers to the survey Shimano Steps shot straight to the top of the rankings for suppliers of e-bike drive units. This despite the fact that six of the eight manufacturers evaluated last year improved their score this year.

1574829095320.png

Last edited:
surveys to hundreds of bicycle dealers asking them to score manufacturers

OK, from a dealer perspective, what might be important?

1. Size of kickback per drive-unit sold?
  2. Simple warranty process with fine reimbursement?
  3. No need for employee-training?
  4. Well developed aftermarket business?
With Ortlinghaus GoSwissdrive and BionX are two drive unit suppliers on the list with unknow business status. It's already a few years ago since Shimano entered the marked with its STEP system. BTW, Continental recently announced to cease the business.

The big question is: How do the dealers rate Stromer? Maybe, Stromer is out of scope; all brands (except the two I've mentioned first) are in the slow 25km/h mid drive business...

I would write a big thread with the shop’s name and mentioned it’s been the 5th, 6th time they change parts ?
Like “Stay away from xxxx”

Or Brands and shops to stay away from ! I will actually make this thread right now.

The link is not working...

Admin. Took it down.

Besides what not to buy it was also mentioning WHAT dealers /brands to buy from.

Clearly taking the thread down was an overreaching admin. Error but that’s how the forums work this days.

Why can’t we not know : WHAT NOT TO BUY Angela ?? I have an opinion based on lots of ebike experience and selfishness directed you to delete that knowledge from reaching other members.

Have you done a survey if the community would like the thread gone ?
“ I don’t think this would have gone in the right direction”

What is the right direction ?
Why “ I “ and not let the “ WE” as in the “ Ebr members” decide ?

Well sure it’s easy to hit DELETE.

Let’s all go and buy Stromers for Christmas then 😉..

Ps- For the newbies, the above is obviously a joke, please don’t !!

Attachments

• 8C2CF6D1-6915-4575-9C78-16E45C7DFCDA.png
    8C2CF6D1-6915-4575-9C78-16E45C7DFCDA.png
    666.4 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Admin. Took it down. Besides what not to buy it was also mentioning WHAT dealers /brands to buy from.
Clearly taking the thread down was an overreaching admin. Error but that’s how the forums work this days.

Why can’t we not know : WHAT NOT TO BUY Angela ?? I have an opinion based on lots of ebike experience and selfishness directed you to delete that knowledge from reaching other members.
Have you done a survey if the community would like the thread gone ? “ I don’t think this would have gone in the right direction”

What is the right direction ? Why “ I “ and not let the “ WE” as in the “ Ebr members” decide ?
Well sure it’s easy to hit DELETE. Let’s all go and buy Stromers for Christmas then 😉..
Ps- For the newbies, the above is obviously a joke, please don’t !!

Sorry to see that your thread was removed... we should try to promote an open and honest discussion with pros and cons.

Update from Stromer direct: they responded with saying it is the merchants responsibility to offer a refund, while the bike shop is saying it is up to Stromer.

Sigh

Attempting a chargeback through my card issuer. My understanding is there is a limit of 120 days, but the "start date" can differ depending on "Evidence of previous ongoing negotiations between the cardholder and the merchant", or "Negotiations occurred within 120 days of the transaction processing date ".

Who knows.. lets see.

Kind of pathetic it has gotten to this point, where a shop would be ok with their customer going months without being able to use their product.

Attempting a chargeback through my card issuer. My understanding is there is a limit of 120 days, but the "start date" can differ depending on "Evidence of previous ongoing negotiations between the cardholder and the merchant", or "Negotiations occurred within 120 days of the transaction processing date ".

Who knows.. lets see.

Kind of pathetic it has gotten to this point, where a shop would be ok with their customer going months without being able to use their product.

Good luck with your credit card issuer and let us know how it goes. Once resolved, you may want to identify the offending shop to help others.

What shop is that ? It may be that i get something online and i would like to avoid it . I’m sure the other thousands of ebr readers would think likewise.
Should email the shop owner or print this thread and mail it to them !

re: identifying the shop. I have mentioned which shop it is in my previous posts, but my goal right now is not to blast them. Im focused on getting this resolved.

Your bank is required to investigate your chargeback request. Be advised that if the merchant says they have offered to work things out with you, such as by offering repairs or asking that you return the item to them, then the request will be denied. If they make no response within I believe 30 days, then you would be refunded the charges. Most likely the shop says they are willing to work with you, and the bank says the charges are therefore valid. I have seen merchants use this "we offered solutions" approach in cases like this before. In any case, it is reasonable to ask you to return the bike before processing a refund. You do have a right to a product that works, and it is the dealer's responsibility, supported by Stromer's warranty, to make sure this happens.

I think people do know which shop you mean. I am curious why your beef seems to be more with Stromer than with the shop. It's the shop's responsibility as a dealer to provide service including resolving after sale issues. And they were supposed to have built and tested your bike before you got it. Stromer doesn't do that, it is the dealer's responsibility.

re: identifying the shop. I have mentioned which shop it is in my previous posts, but my goal right now is not to blast them. Im focused on getting this resolved.

Last edited:
Yes I know they are required to investigate. It is also my understanding that a charge back can be valid if the product is "Not as described", and "defective" falls under that category as well.

To be clear, my issue is with both the shop and Stromer for different reasons.

Back