Refill a Stromer Battery

tenroz

Does anyone know of a company that can refill Stromer Batteries instead of buying a brand new one? Thanks for any info you can provide me.

What do you mean "refill?" If you need a refill, plug the battery in and RECHARGE it. If it won't hold a charge that means the battery is dead, and the cells have lost their integrity and can no long hold a charge. So it's time for a new battery.

Refilling is the wrong term/word for what you are asking. You might be thinking 'rebuild' which makes more sense, but the answer would still be no.

You might be thinking 'rebuild' which makes more sense, but the answer would still be no.
I would not give up on this so fast, I've seen German fellas offering Bosch rebuilds. Personally I would buy a heavy duty soldering iron and some fresh cells and try it myself. Not that I can recommend anyone try this, in fact Don't try this at home! Utube is full of guys building power packs for cars etc, endless sphere - research.

Funny this came up today . I was going ot post about this if I had a chance. I spoke to parent company of Energie Cycles in Vegas. The tech I spoke to estimated starting at 300 for 10 amp and up to 500 or more for maybe 16 amp , depending on a few items. He had not specifically done a Stormer. He was looking at the web to gather as much info as he could while we spoke.

Based on the BMS still being good and saw the shape but has not seen the inside, including the cells. He will send a Haz Mat shipping label or as I suggested if I can remove the old cells before supping the case would be better. Site is blocked at work so best i can do is post this phone number, 888-546-9419 ask the questions, may get a different phone number. I spoke to a tech that was their Haz Mat and battery tech , didn't get his name , nice guy , eager , give them a call and report back for all :) . I told him I was not in a hurry . I have a few batteries and also n not sure I will use this until out of warranty, just to be sure but so far the best I have found and a great start

from another thread , has the correct info
http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/a2b-36-volt-external-battery.1669/#post-18794

Last edited:
...instead of buying a brand new one?

If you're charging a battery rebuild by 3rd party: Be extremely careful! There is a serious risk of overcharging. This could set the battery in fire - and you'll be unable to extinguish it with water.

Understood. Hopefully since this supposed to be a professional site, w/warranty , said they would be replacing like for like cells or even if the replaced the complete internals the numbers would be along the same . If a new charger is needed then i would hope they acknowledge and have one to sell.

Since I have enough batteries I have not followed up,shipping is a PIA. Hoping for an east coast dealer some day

I just replaced my Stromer's 14.5 Ah battery after 2.5 years of riding and it cost me $775. I am hoping to find a cheaper way to keep my bike on the road the next time I need one. On my last battery I chargeed it after every ride, but now I charge it when it gets down below 50% - I hope that helps prolong it's life.

Does anyone know if the 3.6V batteries inside Stromer's battery packs are welded together or kept inside some sort of frame/case? How easy would it be to buy 50 batteries from Samsung when my current 522Wh pack degrades beyond usable? I'm not trying to cheat or something, just worried that maybe after 1.5/2 years Stromer may stop selling ST1 packs and consumers will be left with heavy and slow not-anymore-e-bikes.

I just replaced my Stromer's 14.5 Ah battery after 2.5 years of riding and it cost me $775. I am hoping to find a cheaper way to keep my bike on the road the next time I need one. On my last battery I chargeed it after every ride, but now I charge it when it gets down below 50% - I hope that helps prolong it's life.

Russell Graves rebuilds ebike battery packs. He's located in Washington State in the US. His prices are about half the cost of your $775 battery.

https://syonyk.blogspot.com/p/bionx-battery-pack-rebuilds.html

His contact form is on the right side of the page linked to above. He even offers discounts if you have a pack type that he has never refurbished before.

Does anyone know if the 3.6V batteries inside Stromer's battery packs are welded together or kept inside some sort of frame/case? How easy would it be to buy 50 batteries from Samsung when my current 522Wh pack degrades beyond usable? I'm not trying to cheat or something, just worried that maybe after 1.5/2 years Stromer may stop selling ST1 packs and consumers will be left with heavy and slow not-anymore-e-bikes.

Most ebike battery pack cells are welded using a spot welder, however, it's easy to remove the individual cells from their welded nickel strips without damaging the cells. It takes anywhere from a few hours to one day to rebuild a battery pack with new 18650 cells. You'll need a wiring diagram, a spot welder, some appropriate wiring (correct thickness for the amount of amperage you plan to draw from them), a glue gun, some foam padding, pure nickel strips, electrical tape, insulated gloves, and some tools for disassembly/assembly. The cost to refurbish your battery yourself would be about $450, or perhaps less if you already have a spot welder.

I wouldn't mind paying $775 for a new one. But funny thing is, with Holland being so close to the Switzerland, they somehow charge us €1000 for the same 522Wh battery here. I'm even worried that a year from now they can go out of stock and the price of the remaining packs will skyrocket.

I just sent them an email and asked them if I should first take out the old batteries, as I have 4 Stromer batteries that weight 26 pounds.

Every time you ride, put a dollar in a jar. Then it won't hurt so badly when you buy the new battery.

Every time you ride, put a dollar in a jar. Then it won't hurt so badly when you buy the new battery.
Great advice. Did your battery last as long as you expected it to? Did you let it drop below 10% or even down to where it ran out of power completely? That definitely will reduce the life of a Stromer or any other battery.

I charged my battery after every ride - which usually consisted of ten miles or more. I never let it get down below .10%, but I have been on rides where the battery got down to the low 20% range a few times.

Since I got my new battery, I take it out of the bike and charge it by my easy chair so I can monitor it during charging. I love riding my bike so much I will buy another battery when the time comes - I'm just hoping it lasts more than 2.5 years.

Back