REDUCE AIR PRESSURE WITH TANNUS INSERT!

Bjameson

Region
USA
My Blix Packa Cargo 24" × 2.4" tires have Tannus inserts. Regular pressure is 40-65. I put in Tannus and Flat Out, set pressure at 50psi, went for a slow ride on smooth sidewalks at 10-15mph for 30 minutes and inner tube blew out, tire off rim. Make sure and keep pressure low with Tannus. I was fine at 25psi and thought I was low. My mistake.

I ran Tannus with tubes on my recumbent etrike (20" wheels), and always kept my pressure at the bottom of the recommended range (40-45 psi) on the sidewall. Knock wood, I never had any flats during the 250 miles I put on that trike...

I see nothing on Tannus' website FAQ about the need to lower tire pressures. What it does say is:
Tire pressure is a personal preference depending on size of the rider and riding conditions. However, adding Tannus Armour does allow you to run lower pressure which gives better control, and comfort.
We recommend starting 5psi lower than what you normally ride and adjusting your psi up or down from there based on the ride feel you enjoy.
Fat-tired e-bikes shouldn't run too low (under 10psi) as this may not offer enough support or give the comfort you're accustomed to.
E-BIKES can run at normal tire PSI.

To blow a tire off the rim on smooth sidewalks at 50 PSI with a tire rated to 65 psi, something other than tire pressure was wrong.

Did you use the normal tube size that the tire says, or did you go smaller tube size like recommended?
Did you consider that the tube you had was defective?

Betting the tire wasn't centered on the rim properly while inflating....

Tube size when running Tannus is important. I have them on my old RadRunner and never had a issue with them. I ordered the recommended tubes with the Tannus liners.The supplied tubes were good quality that I received, at least to my old BMX rider eye.

Funny about the tire pressure being an issue. I ran my RadRunner tire pressure to the max recommended pressure on t he tire. I did get a flat with the Tannus liners. I forgot what got me (I did a thread response on the flat) but did notice this. The Tannus liner was as thin as a piece of cheap cardboard. I never down-pressured the tires because the ebike never sat for an extended time. Wonder how thin the tubes stretched out to fill the now empty space?

I went back to known and trusted Mr. Tuffy liners. No special tubes, easy to install and don't compress.

Back