Recommended air pump to carry on bike

Santa

Region
USA
I already have some small CO 2 bottles I carry on my regular bike. I do know the 3” x 20” tires on my new upcoming purchase will require more air than I’m used to putting in. So -if I top off or just use a manual air pump to begin with, what’s lighter to carry/ use ?. what do you guys carry ? I would either have to carry in the rear basket or on a stand alone mount. I’ve seen many of the small rechargeable compressors, I think I’d rather go old scool w/ a type of manual unless I’m convinced otherwise. Can’t say I’ve had any flats while riding on the street. My new adventures will include some dirt trails and amongst the trees/ shrubs/ etc my odds increase to get a flat.

I only carry CO2 canisters and a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pump or an earlier version. Depending on the bike, either it is in my frame bag or is mounted by the bracket it comes with which is attached to the water bottle mount on the down tube.

In this photo you can see the pump mounted under the down tube.

[
url= way? That way.[/url] by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

I only carry CO2 canisters and a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pump or an earlier version. Depending on the bike, either it is in my frame bag or is mounted by the bracket it comes with which is attached to the water bottle mount on the down tube.

In this photo you can see the pump mounted under the down tube.

[
url= way? That way.[/url] by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

We came across a few cars with flats near there ( heading to mt Augustus) - they had all shredded the tyres by the time they stopped. Not a good place to be sourcing new tyres!

I second the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pump. My Haibike Full FatSix features 26 x 4.0 tires so it requires a large volume pump. The Lezyne fits that requirement. Have used it enough on the road fixing flats that it's worth every penny.

Topeak Morph of some sort has been my go to for 20 years. I have a mini morph on my road bike and non electric gravel, a road morph on the electric gravel and a mountain morph in each of my MTB packs. They have a small foot peg that folds out and an actual hose which makes them much easier to use roadside than the types of portable pumps you have to attach directly. Relatively inexpensive and you can get parts for them. You can get mounts that go under a bottle cage and hold the pump slightly to the side.

More info here...

We came across a few cars with flats near there ( heading to mt Augustus) - they had all shredded the tyres by the time they stopped. Not a good place to be sourcing new tyres!
I belive the Mt Augustus Tourist Resort (love the optimism in the name) apparently does a nice business in tyres.

I belive the Mt Augustus Tourist Resort (love the optimism in the name) apparently does a nice business in tyres.

With hot showers, a flushing toilet AND someone else cooking dinner I thought the place was pure luxury!

Admittedly we'd just come from a week camped on the coast in the francois peron, and we were heading into the east pilbara . We'd spend one right restocking in carnarvon - NEVER again! Jammed in like sardines, subjected to the worst of the grey nomad phenomena....including some moron in a merc van trying to tell my wife she was setting our guy lines up wrong ! ( ignoring the decades of outback dust....)

Mt Augustus was lovely - surrounded by tvanners who adopted our 3 kids.....which meant we could relax!

PS back on topic - I use high volume hand pumps, try and get dual action and a flexible line between pump and valve. OLD trusty is so beated up that I have no idea what brand it was

I carry a backup to my co2 jugs, 2 different sizes 12 and 20 gr,
will all fit this co2 pump, and you can control the flow and store the unused portion, for the next use, the 12 gr air gun size is just about perfect to top off my 26" x 4.5" tires when needed, and I also carry a electric pump for the standard valves, it runs off a battery pack or the bike's battery, via the display's USB plug in.

For someone wanting a flexible hose between the pump and the tire valve, it would be quite easy to make up such a hose of any length you want. My hardware store (Hardware Sales in Bellingham, WA) carries the male and female fittings you would need, as well as the hose itself.

I have used the Woowind electric pump which fits right in my bag. Works great.

1718829954126.png

Back