Recommendations Hitch Bike Rack

I'd be careful of ordering inexpensive scooter/MC racks off eBay. None of the racks in the link posted is like the picture above. None have strap extension bars as shown above and none are as heavy duty as in that pic. I think you would be surprised at how 'cheap' those inexpensive racks from eBay are. I would look to one of the other quality brands noted above. Checkout Thule racks as well.
Bite your toung, I have a motorcycle rack. Capable of 2 350lb bikes. Most bike hitch racks will not carry 2 ebikes. No problems. Has bracket to snub the shake

Attachments

• 20180528_121027.jpg
    20180528_121027.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,522
Bite your toung, I have a motorcycle rack. Capable of 2 350lb bikes. Most bike hitch racks will not carry 2 ebikes. No problems. Has bracket to snub the shake
That's good! And you have a good rack with a strap extension. However, I don't think you read my post.

I wasn't suggesting to not use an MC rack, I said to "be careful" of buying cheap racks from eBay. You don't always get what you think you bought.

Last edited:
Related questions... Got a 2007 Prius; did not come with hitch. Dealer can add Class 1 hitch (1-1/4" socket) with 200lb tongue weight limit, for about $400. (I've heard U-Haul facilities can do it for about $250 all-in, but haven't investigated.)
A) any recommendations on installing a hitch for the Prius? (Where, who, concerns -- is the 1-1/4 going to be a challenge?)
B) if that Class 1 hitch at dealer had a 200lb tongue weight limit, is this the limit I should make sure Bike + Rack does not exceed?

The only thing I wish my 1up USA rack had was a ramp. Lifting up my ebike is rather impossible. I lift the front end first and get that front tire in the tray then I sort of pivot the back and lift it up. It's a bit of a P.I.A. and a ramp would make life so much easier. I've looked and searched and have found nothing yet that I can use with my 1Up.

PowerMe-I had the same issue with lifting my bike up onto my rear hitch mounted rack which has 2 sets of hoops for the tires of 2 bikes. What I did was jimmy rigged a piece of gutter extension and mounted conduit hooks on the end so it can clip on the hoop ends of the rack. Works great!
BTW-The 1upUSA is the rack of choice IMO. Would like to see a pic of the ramp setup if you purchase. Now that I know they can fit a custom made ramp onto it has my vote for my next rack purchase. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
For those who are curious about the 1Up USA Super Duty Rack which holds each bike weighing up to 75lb, and are nervous about the force of the arm and how to protect the fender, I found a cool picture showing that exact setup. Notice there are TWO Stromer bikes loaded AND one fender protector is shown in this picture. The blue arrow shows the foam fender protector that was added to the bar that touches the fender.

superdutywithfendercushion.jpeg

For those who are curious about the 1Up USA Super Duty Rack which holds each bike weighing up to 75lb, and are nervous about the force of the arm and how to protect the fender, I found a cool picture showing that exact setup. Notice there are TWO Stromer bikes loaded AND one fender protector is shown in this picture. The blue arrow shows the foam fender protector that was added to the bar that touches the fender.

View attachment 22630
Yes but what goes between the fender and the tire to prevent the fender from being damaged and also make the connection more positive? Better to have a rack that secures on the frame if your bike has fenders.

Thanks @PowerMe.

I found there is a lot of discussion on non-eBike forums about using the 1Up rack with bikes that have fenders. In addition to the foam fender protector, another suggestion frequently mentioned is to stuff a scrap of high-density compressable packing foam between the tire and fender in the area where the rear arm presses downs on the fender. This transfers some of the pressure on the fender down into the tire and wheel.

Also I found this blog post suggesting an alternative position of the rear arm lower down on the tire, rather than on the fender itself:

http://heilbron.com/1up-usa-rack-and-bikes-with-fenders/

That alternating rear arm position may work but it seems like the rear of the bike could possibly pop up and out. I'd probably also further secure the bike with a ratchet strap between the rear bike rack and the bottom track.

The Kuat is a great rack but still not good for use on a bike with fenders. If you already have a rack that clamps on the tires, you need to do a work around with foam or something. Otherwise you are far better off buying a rack that is designed to clamp on to the frame. Here is a photo of the clamp on the Thule Easyfold XT2. Note the key slot on the tightening knob. When locked the knob just spins but does not loosen.
20180611_071108.jpg

The Thule Easyfold XT2 is a great solution and the integrated ramp is the way to go. It's just way out of my price range for a rack. The 1Up works fine for me. I remover the battery, which makes the bike fit the weight limit, and I don't have any problems with the clamp arms on my particular bike.

The easyfold Thule is $750 full retail but there are coupons out there to get 15% or more off when you buy it from outdoorplay.com. I got the easyfold xt2 for $639 which is right in there price wise with the 1Up black (painted) version. The silver (unpainted) one is plain aluminum which will be serviceable but will certainly oxidize and dull over time. and yes it does save you $80. It seems to me that the $80 is a fair price for a more durable finish, loading ramp, more secure locking and tilt back for opening tailgates.

@Alaskan I only have a need to carry 1 bike (my own) and I paid $350 for my 1up rack. I'm actually waiting for the new Quik Rack Mach 2s to be produced (made by the original designer of the quik rack), which will hold a 70 lb ebike and his price for black anodized is $269 or thereabouts. He made a bunch of changes to the original design and he's been able to apply for new patents. I'm not spending $600 on a bike rack...not when I don't need to carry 2 bikes and can have a good solution for half that or less.

Related questions... Got a 2007 Prius; did not come with hitch. Dealer can add Class 1 hitch (1-1/4" socket) with 200lb tongue weight limit, for about $400. (I've heard U-Haul facilities can do it for about $250 all-in, but haven't investigated.)
A) any recommendations on installing a hitch for the Prius? (Where, who, concerns -- is the 1-1/4 going to be a challenge?)
B) if that Class 1 hitch at dealer had a 200lb tongue weight limit, is this the limit I should make sure Bike + Rack does not exceed?

From what I've heard from my brother in law, its pretty straight forward to install. He installed ours in about 30 minutes (Class III -2 inch socket) on our SUV. We got ours at AutoAnything.com (Curtis hitch). I looked up the installation for the Prius and it involves attaching it to the frame with 4 bolts under the bumper. I'm sure most auto repair shops will install it for you.

The tongue weight is how much weight applied at the hitch attachment. If your rack sits directly above the hitch, then I would use the 200 lb limit. If your rack extends away, then you can probably do a bit more because its farther away. Most ebikes are around 60 lbs. A Thule T2 weighs about 50 lbs so your good at a total of 110 lbs. Even a second ebike would keep you under 200 lbs.

I’ve had three hitches installed by UHaul, each for right at or around $200. You can spec/price it out right on their website and order it as well when you’re ready to go. No need to give the Toyota guys that kind of money.

From what I've heard from my brother in law, its pretty straight forward to install. He installed ours in about 30 minutes (Class III -2 inch socket) on our SUV. We got ours at AutoAnything.com (Curtis hitch). I looked up the installation for the Prius and it involves attaching it to the frame with 4 bolts under the bumper. I'm sure most auto repair shops will install it for you.

The tongue weight is how much weight applied at the hitch attachment. If your rack sits directly above the hitch, then I would use the 200 lb limit. If your rack extends away, then you can probably do a bit more because its farther away. Most ebikes are around 60 lbs. A Thule T2 weighs about 50 lbs so your good at a total of 110 lbs. Even a second ebike would keep you under 200 lbs.

Just ordered my Super Duty Single bike rack from 1UP USA. I got it in black, fat tire spacer, an add on tray for a second bike and a ramp. I'll use it a while and decide whether I need the the easy pull handle. I'll get it in, use it and give an update; especially on how well the ramp works with my 65lb bike. Should have it in 10 to 12 days. Thanks for all the comments and advice. One major point in my decision was that 1UP USA says it can use behind a travel trailer and all the others say no.

@Ed D Please take a picture of the ramp hooked up to the rack. I want to see how 1Up did this since they don't have ramps readily available on their site. Thanks!

Back