Recommendations Hitch Bike Rack

Ed D

I’m considering a few different hitch bike racks that can be used behind a pickup truck and a travel trailer with a hitch attached (2 inch hitches). Looking for a rack that can handle a 65lb fat tire ebike with a rear and front fender and rear rack and a standard crossbike 25lbs.

Present options

- Thule EasyFold XT 2, Thule T2 XT 2-2 or Thule Double Track Pro 2, Thule does mention not to be used behind trailers.

-Swagman Escape or Swagman E-Spec E-bike Carrier

-Kuat NV 2.0

Any comments or advice regarding these options or suggest others is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I am on a similar quest albeit for a single e-bike with plus tires and fenders. My application would use a duplex hitch on my SUV, with an extension for the trailer.

I am finding a lot of hitch racks are not compatible with bikes that have fenders. The Kuat NV 2.0 is one of those. With fenders you need a rack that clamps onto the frame, not the front tire/fork.

I am considering the Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE2. This is the rack Rad Power promotes for use with their bikes (e.g. the Rad Rover fat bike).

Also the Saris Freedom 2 EX looks like it may work. Note there are accessory "fat tire wheel holders" for this rack.

I don't know why some of these racks state they are not for use behind trailers. But I do know my little trailer is not strong enough to support an e-bike on a rack!

One reason not to use them behind a trailer is you can't see them.

I was too rushed to adjust my swagman platform carrier last week for my smaller wheelbase folding bikes. Whizzing along on the expressway, I looked in the mirror and only saw one bike. Yikes! The rear bike was hanging horizontal, only held by a cable lock and the two rubber straps that hold the tires to the platform. The handlebar was only a few inches above the pavement.

Because I didn't adjust the carrier, the smaller bikes were sitting on top of the wheel baskets instead of inside them. I had also forgotten put the pin in the arm that grabs the frame, so it tilted and let the rear bike fall off. Perfect combo for a disaster, but I happened to see it.

I've also started looking at 1Up USA and Quik Rack USA bike racks. The Quik Rack USA appears to be an updated version of the 1Up USA rack by the original designer in a new company. On the Quik Rack website is an interesting video. Also, in the section with pictures it shows a ramp that is included (sweet for the old guys if it's true). My bike is 65 lbs and I'm an old guy. Does anyone have any knowledge or recent info on Quik Rack.

@Ed D

Racks like that will not work with fenders. However, if you don't mind dealing with straps, you can pick up a motorcycle/scooter rack (with ramp) for less than a hundred bucks https://www.ebay.com/i/322747278723?chn=ps

Single-Motorcycle-Carrier-Ramp-06.jpg

Personally, I went with the Yakima TwoTimer for $263 (used-like new) at Amazon: https://www.yakima.com/twotimer. My car will support only 1.25" hitch. The Yakima will support 2 45lb bikes. My bike is 46lb without battery == hoping I will be ok. Still waiting for delivery

I'd be careful of ordering inexpensive scooter/MC racks off eBay. None of the racks in the link posted is like the picture above. None have strap extension bars as shown above and none are as heavy duty as in that pic. I think you would be surprised at how 'cheap' those inexpensive racks from eBay are. I would look to one of the other quality brands noted above. Checkout Thule racks as well.

I have the Thule T2 XT 2 for carrying my e-bikes and its held up well. I do like the new Easy fold X2 models. They have a ramp that allows you to roll your e-bike to the rack. Both can hold wheels up to 5 inch wide I believe.

My e-bikes are about 50 lbs each and lifting them onto the rack can get tiresome. Even with the battery removed, I find e-bikes are difficult to mount. Knowing what I know now and seeing the ramp option, I would probably go with the EasyFold. The time I got the T2 XT, the EasyFold wasn't out yet.

I've also started looking at 1Up USA and Quik Rack USA bike racks. The Quik Rack USA appears to be an updated version of the 1Up USA rack by the original designer in a new company. On the Quik Rack website is an interesting video. Also, in the section with pictures it shows a ramp that is included (sweet for the old guys if it's true). My bike is 65 lbs and I'm an old guy. Does anyone have any knowledge or recent info on Quik Rack.

The Quik Rack looks very promising. The problem is the manufacturing has slowed to a crawl because of various things including the trade and tariffs issues (according to the owner of the product). You have to get yourself onto a waiting list just to be able to order. By my calculations, it will be at least 6 to 9 months before someone getting on the waitlist today will be able to order the product. Maybe even up to a year.

I have the 1upUSA rack. I'm using the single rack (rated for 50 lbs). My bike is about 58 lbs. I remove the battery to bring the weight down and that works out. They do have a "super duty" quik rack, which is for 2" hitches and will hold up to 75lbs of bike per channel. That would hold your 65lb ebike without a problem.

evostreetonrack-jpg.2649

Last edited:
I just received my Thule Easyfold XT2 and am really impressed with it. It secures the bike at the frame not at the tire which is way better for a bike with fenders. Also the locking mechanism makes it far more secure than a bike that uses locking cables like the Kuat. The Thule has padded jaws to clamp and secure the bike anywhere on the frame. They are rubber padded and very positive. There is a large knob that you turn to tighten the jaws that slips with a click when it is fully tightened. The knobs have a lock with disengages them when locked making them secure. It is rated 130 lbs. (65 lbs.per bike), folds up to an easy size to toss in the trunk when not in use and has a convenient folding ramp to make loading a heavy ebike easier.

592801_sized_900x600_rev_1.gif

592796_sized_900x600_rev_1.jpg

I just received my Thule Easyfold XT2 and am really impressed with it. It secures the bike at the frame not at the tire which is way better for a bike with fenders. Also the locking mechanism makes it far more secure than a bike that uses locking cables like the Kuat. The Thule has padded jaws to clamp and secure the bike anywhere on the frame. They are rubber padded and very positive. There is a large knob that you turn to tighten the jaws that slips with a click when it is fully tightened. The knobs have a lock with disengages them when locked making them secure. It is rated 130 lbs. (65 lbs.per bike), folds up to an easy size to toss in the trunk when not in use and has a convenient folding ramp to make loading a heavy ebike easier.

View attachment 22492

View attachment 22493

Have you used the loading ramp? I thought I read somewhere the ramp was flimsy and difficult to use. I have 4 inch fat tires. Will they fit on the ramp? Also, I believe Thule saids not to use behind a trailer.

Last edited:
I'd be careful of ordering inexpensive scooter/MC racks off eBay. None of the racks in the link posted is like the picture above. None have strap extension bars as shown above and none are as heavy duty as in that pic. I think you would be surprised at how 'cheap' those inexpensive racks from eBay are. I would look to one of the other quality brands noted above. Checkout Thule racks as well.

I wasn't recommending a source or brand, just presenting the concept of using a MC rack instead of a bicycle rack, for about 1/2 - 1/4 the price. Even a cheap MC rack designed to carry 300 pounds is probably ok for a bicycle weighing 65 pounds or less. Instead of paying $80 for cheap one spend $150 for major brand. Just another option I thought worth mentioning.

Looking at swagman e spec 2 seriously, looks to be similiar to Thule but 200 less. Going to use with 2 folding Ejoe SE’s. Thoughts.

The only thing I wish my 1up USA rack had was a ramp. Lifting up my ebike is rather impossible. I lift the front end first and get that front tire in the tray then I sort of pivot the back and lift it up. It's a bit of a P.I.A. and a ramp would make life so much easier. I've looked and searched and have found nothing yet that I can use with my 1Up.

The only thing I wish my 1up USA rack had was a ramp. Lifting up my ebike is rather impossible. I lift the front end first and get that front tire in the tray then I sort of pivot the back and lift it up. It's a bit of a P.I.A. and a ramp would make life so much easier. I've looked and searched and have found nothing yet that I can use with my 1Up.

I just spoke to 1up USA and they told me they will configure and include a ramp for about $70-$100. You may be able to get a ramp after all. You might have to drill a hole and include a pin to drop one arms down lower enough for the ramp. Let me know if you pursue it.

You might have to drill a hole and include a pin to drop one arms down lower enough for the ramp. Let me know if you pursue it.

Ummm....that's beyond my capabilities. But I'll think about talking to them. I'm also wanting to upgrade to the new Quik Rack Mach 2 by Cal Phillips, who developed the original ones sold by 1Up USA. His patent ran out and he re-designed the quik rack and started his own site and is selling the new (patented) model. However, he's way behind in production and there's a long waiting list so it could be another 9 months or more.

@Drew

My ebike has fenders and I use the 1up rack. I have no problems with the fenders. The arm that goes onto my front tire doesn't even reach the fender and the arm for the back tire I have their foam roller thing that velcros on to the bar to protect the fender. Don't purchase theirs, you can buy a foot of some 1" pipe insulation and cut them in 4" segments and have your own fender protectors for a fraction of the price you'd pay 1up.

Thanks @PowerMe, now that you've explained it, I understand what I am looking at in your picture!

But I am very skeptical about putting the kind of pressure on a fender that's necessary to hold a heavy ebike in place. Maybe if it's a metal fender? My fenders are plastic though.

Or is there not a lot of pressure applied to the tire/fender by this rack?

My fenders are plastic as well and there isn't any big pressure put on them. There is pressure applied to the tire, but it's not a damaging kind of pressure. Why don't you watch some youtube videos showing reviews of the rack and you can see the arms hold well because of the ratcheting that's done to keep them in position.

Have you used the loading ramp? I thought I read somewhere the ramp was flimsy and difficult to use. I have 4 inch fat tires. Will they fit on the ramp? Also, I believe Thule saids not to use behind a trailer.
I have 2.4" tires that fit fine. Not sure how ell 4" tires work. You might need longer straps. I think Thule makes them. I have no knowledge of the trailer issue as I do not use one.

But I am very skeptical about putting the kind of pressure on a fender that's necessary to hold a heavy ebike in place. Maybe if it's a metal fender? My fenders are plastic though.

Me too (without the hashtag). By clamping down on fender, the fender struts are holding the bike up. Probably ok when entire bike weighs only a couple dozen pounds or less, but it worries me with an ebike -- esp rear hub motor. Will the struts deform after some bumpy rides?

My guess is to use on plastic fenders only. Metal ones may bend and dent even with the padding.

Check with manufacturer to be sure.

Back