Recommendations for Basket for Rear Rack

I have Gepida Alboin SLX 10 Trekking bike. Basically I'm looking for a securely mounted, heavy plastic milk crate with a removable mesh top. Dividers inside to secure bottles and smaller items a must, or a way to bungie things. A Gepida rep said they work with Topeak, but the Topeak MTX Basket doesn't have a top to hold things in, or dividers. The basket I got with it appears to be a Ventura Wide Wire, and it is cheap junk and piece on the bottom is broken. Any ideas, suggestions? What do I need to know about the rear rack and what mounting options it accepts? The image below, a DIY project, would be perfect if it had some internal dividers or bottle holders. I do not know what is used on the bottom for securely mounting it to the frame.

milk crate basket.jpg

Last edited:
Can't help with the basket, but in the image you attached that is clearly using zip ties to secure the crate to the rack.

I use these on my motorcycles and attach them with heavy duty zip ties. They could be bolted on as well. I got them here (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)'][/URL]

A wald steel 523gb basket holds the cargo lower to balance the bike better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wald-Produ...222155&hash=item3fb36ea4d7:g:QnYAAOSwenJcBdgL Lower CG is more stable.
I used akro bins to organize things and keep them from slipping out the bottom. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Red-A...669950&hash=item1cd135afd3:g:K1MAAOSwvzZc3Co~
It has gotten so rainy that I've moved on to fabric panniers in the same position. The velcro top closes easily. I've gotten 18 months out of the $150 apiece ones from yubabikes without them ripping. I tie them on with farm supply twine. Maximum size tie wraps didn't have enough grip for 30 lb groceries. Also I had to carry spare tiewraps in case I removed the bag to fix a flat. The twine slip knots untie & retie in 2 minutes. You'll notice my cargo bike has lower rails that snap in to keep the panniers up off the ground.
I've got a steel kiddie pencil box I organize my tools in. The fastener was garbage, I glued on velcro with 3m weatherstrip adhesive.
BTW when I hit the gravel @ ~25 mph and broke my jaw, the cargo stayed put. It did not hit me. I was using the steel baskets & the akro bin that trip.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I'll explore this route. A YouTube project shows how to lash the basket at all contact points with nylon string, with each loop secured by looping it through the last stitch. Takes a long time but would last. Strong zip ties faster. Going to a shop tomorrow and will also ask there. I'm in Italy and sometimes finding simple things is difficult compared to the States. Not as bad as Uruguay though where I was living. Thanks for the milk crate link.
Wald 582 Folding baskets
Does the 582 require two baskets then, since it hangs off the side? If one basket is heavier does it make the ride wonky?

Thanks, I think I'll explore this route. A YouTube project shows how to lash the basket at all contact points with nylon string, with each loop secured by looping it through the last stitch. Takes a long time but would last. Strong zip ties faster. Going to a shop tomorrow and will also ask there. I'm in Italy and sometimes finding simple things is difficult compared to the States. Not as bad as Uruguay though where I was living. Thanks for the milk crate link.

Does the 582 require two baskets then, since it hangs off the side? If one basket is heavier does it make the ride wonky?
Some people ride with only one but I always prefer a balanced load so I would suggest 2

Amazon US has got 582 individually, so you pay freight on each. !
No, I carried 8 liters left 2 liters right + a music folder & some clothes yesterday. Once moving not noticable.
I tie a noose in the end of the twine, then wrap the string around the pannier bar and the bike rack bar. End through the noose, tie a half hitch and back the knot up against the noose. Two of those one front one back to keep pannier from sliding fore & back. Holds for months, takes 30 seconds to untie & 2 minutes to tie. Use natural fiber string for non-slip knots: Jute hemp or cotton.

Last edited:
Milk crates are kind of bulky, they do hold a lot though. Look into those expanding saddle bags that just clip on.

I don't have any personal experience with the Bushwacker, but based on June 17, 2019 Amazon review, be careful about riding with them empty...reviewer says empty one bounced into spokes.

This is the type I prefer to use, except this one is bigger than mine. Can probably carry a small pet in this one. I should have bought it when it was $38 because now it's at $44. I have four racks all made by the same company so the 5mm mounting holes all have the same spacing. One basket can be swapped to any other rack simply by removing four bolts and washers.
There's some shots at this link that demo what it will carry and how to mount it with the supplied brackets if you don't have mounts like on my racks. Easy to do.
Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNAKKSM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A36NJ6FEAH7XR6&psc=1

Attachments

• Basket Dimensions.jpg
    Basket Dimensions.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 417
Update--I took the cheap Ventura Wide Wire basket and bolted it to the rack. Required sawing off the brackets on the bottom of the basket. I zip-tied some foam pipe wrap on the rack. A brass hinge was the perfect size for a mending strap on the bottom. Four 3 mm carriage bolts with washers down through the bottom of the basket. I lined the bottom of the basket with a piece of foam for a bit of cushion. A mesh thing designed to prevent slippage in a shower is on the top, with bungies so things won't bounce out of the basket. This looks like hell as it's white, but for now it's functional. You can lift the whole bike up with the basket. Very tight and sturdy. At some point I'll probably upgrade to a Topeak system or similar but for now I'm up and running.

Last edited:
Back