Recommendation for a Riese and Muller?

Kat

Is there a full-suspension, carbon belt step-through for 5’3” tall rider? Riese and Muller comes close - but not quite. Thanks!

Kat …
The 49 cm Culture and 49 cm Homage are beautiful full-suspension ebikes but might be a bit too big (recommended rider height 1.65 and 1.80 m).

I think the saddle could be brought down but you're still left with really high handlebars. Talk it through with your dealer.
rm_culture_vario.jpg

There is a different version of the Culture available in the UK. This has smaller wheels, a battery on the carrier and is available in size 47 cm (1.6 to 1.75 m).
rm_nevo_vario.jpg

I'd also suggest that you look at the 46 cm Nevo which is suitable for riders between 1.55 and 1.77 m. It isn't full-suspension but is a very nice ebike. I rode one about three years ago and really liked it. And should have bought it.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a full-suspension, carbon belt step-through for 5’3” tall rider? Riese and Muller comes close - but not quite. Thanks!
Thanks, David. Yes, they are really big bikes recommended for taller riders. I’ll check if a dealer can offer a lower handlebar for the Homage; I like it’s extra battery option, but won’t a non-factory alteration cancel out the warranty?

Won’t a non-factory alteration cancel out the warranty?
I'd venture to suggest that swapping out a stem could hardly elicit a warranty-voiding red card being waved around. There could be issues with wiring, especially with Kiox. (I've changed the saddle, seat post, pedals and tyres on my Homage.)

Check the Superdelite, too. It is available in a nominally smaller size (47 cm frame for 1.60 to 1.75 m riders); but no step-through!

Thanks, David. Yes, they are really big bikes recommended for taller riders. I’ll check if a dealer can offer a lower handlebar for the Homage; I like it’s extra battery option, but won’t a non-factory alteration cancel out the warranty?

I swapped out the stem/handlebars on a Nevo, and handlebars on a Charger. Not an issue, although your best bet is to ask your dealer directly, esp if there are wiring issues as mentioned by @David Berry.

That’s what I’ll do. Also David, do you wish you had purchased the Nevo rather than your Homage? If so, why might that be? I’m just wondering whether there is a large difference between the feel of the full-suspension Homage or the Nevo with the Thud-buster.

I can input my 2 cents here. I bought a Nevo but exchanged it the next day for a Charger with an Aion air fork and a Thudbuster st. The NCX spring fork on the Nevo was not acceptable to me after a one day 50 km test ride. I found a trail that was comprised of large river rocks which made the Nevo a hellish ride. The Charger covered them well. The Homage takes the suspension another step ahead again. The tradeoff is cost and a little added weight. My dream bike would be the Superdelite with the upgraded Fox float 34 suspension.

Last edited:
  • David, do you wish you had purchased the Nevo rather than your Homage?
No.
The Nevo is 'at home' on sealed roads and graded gravel trails – 100% of yesterday's ride through the farmlands of northern NSW but definitely not suited to the smash-crash-bang of the rocky and rutted trails that I so often encounter (although the Nevo could negotiate these on an irregular basis).
  • Is there a large difference between the feel of the full-suspension Homage or the Nevo with the Thudbuster?

I have a Thudbuster ST on my Trek Powerfly 5 (hardtail light duty eMTB). Recommended. The Homage's Control Technology does a better job. The obvious question is 'Why not both?' I've tried the Thudbuster on my Homage but consider its advantages outweighed by the convenience having a dropper post – one cannot have both! (My 75mm dropper post is there to make getting on/off easier.)

2020 R&M Nevo …
rm_nevo_2020_a.jpg

Note…
  1. Stem positions handlebars high up – check whether this can be changed.
  2. Easier step through?
  3. Frame lock – five stars out of five from me! (Remember to add a plug-in chain.)
Could you let us know where the ebike will be used – town, country, trail, etcetera.

How do you like it Alaskan?

The 125mm drop function is so useful. I am still working on getting the air in shock to the right pressure level so that there is no sag and bounces all the way back with good response to road irregularities and getting to play well with the Fox suspension on the Delight. Just did a 40 mile ride on it today and it is starting to get dialed in. Not quite there yet but getting close. I am loving the drop function, automatically dropping down at every time I come to a stop, either making it easier to get off and back on or enabling me to sit at a stop light, flat footed while squarely on the saddle.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reference pic of your 5’3” tall friend - it puts my mind at rest as to the fit. I will be using the bike mainly in town to replace a car, but with the hope of traveling further afield on cycle trails over a variety of NZ terrain; I’m thinking that if the ride is safe, comfortable and within the range of a 1000w system, anything is possible! I’d definitely want a dropper seat post. Does anyone have any recommendations on saddle, panniers, mirror or other kit for a long-range travel Homage? And whether the GT Vario (with GX option) or the GT Vario HS (also with GX option) is a better choice for my needs?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations on saddle, panniers, mirror or other kit for a long-range travel Homage?
  • Saddle – No need to rush; the supplied saddle is acceptable. As soon as the sun comes up over North America you'll receive good advice (based on sound experience) regarding traditional Brooks-style leather saddles with cutouts.
  • Handlebar Bag & Trunk Bag – Browse the Ortlieb and Topeak ranges. The Ortlieb Ultimate Six Pro graces the handlebars of quite a few Homages featured in EBR Forum photos. Topeak's trunk bag (see David Roy's Homage above) is equally popular and is available with or without dropdown 'panniers'.
  • MirrorMirrycle's Mountain Bike Mirror is well accepted. Don't be tempted by mirrors that need to be placed on the left side of the handlebar.
  • Water Bottles – My handlebar is cluttered with a combination of Klickfix and Fidlock attachments. Recommended.
  • Dropper PostDelay making an expensive purchase. With just a few exceptions, 75mm is the minimum 'drop' and to this you need to add ~25mm for the collar and, maybe, the same for the lever at the top. That's too much! In the raised position, your saddle could be significantly higher than your correct pedalling position. Caution: own goal alert!

A few suggestions from a Homage owner//rider

Get your Homage equipped with the intuvia display. The Kiox is not fully developed and comes with a proprietary stem. I suspect you will want to put an adjustable angle stem on your bike. This will help adjust the arm position and body position. I installed a Ergotec Swell Ahead
62334117_max.jpg

I use the same handlebar bag suggested by David Berry as well as the Topeak TT9635B MTX DXP TrunkBag with Expandable Panniers & Top this makes a great all purpose, everyday bag. You will want full larger panniers for longer duration, multi day expeditions. Orlieb make a good range of panniers of various sizes.

I would avoid the dropper post as it will leave less room for proper positioning for a shorter person. With the step through that is less needed as you can mount/dismount without having to throw your leg over the saddle.

Here is an earlier thread I started on the modification I have done to my Homage. Many of these would not be needed or appropriate for you but some might be of interest

Here is another thread I started on putting a dual bottle cage mount on a Homage or Nevo. This does require stem replacement as the Homage fixed stem does not have a traditional cap.

I also put custom real wood fenders on my bike. They are not necesarry but they are more stable and more quiet than the plastic ones and have a certain aesthetic appeal, at least to me.

The photo below shows my bike with a Racktime wire basket in the back that I use to fetch goodies at our farmer's market.

20191012_101646.jpg

Thank you for the reference pic of your 5’3” tall friend - it puts my mind at rest as to the fit. I will be using the bike mainly in town to replace a car, but with the hope of traveling further afield on cycle trails over a variety of NZ terrain; I’m thinking that if the ride is safe, comfortable and within the range of a 1000w system, anything is possible! I’d definitely want a dropper seat post. Does anyone have any recommendations on saddle, panniers, mirror or other kit for a long-range travel Homage? And whether the GT Vario (with GX option) or the GT Vario HS (also with GX option) is a better choice for my needs?
I will chime in on the saddle. I put a few hundred K on it but then sold my Brooks B17 and went back to the Selle Royale Respiro . It is the best one I have found so far for me.

I can input my 2 cents here. I bought a Nevo but exchanged it the next day for a Charger with an Aion air fork and a Thudbuster st. The NCX spring fork on the Nevo was not acceptable to me after a one day 50 km test ride. I found a trail that was comprised of large river rocks which made the Nevo a hellish ride. The Charger covered them well. The Homage takes the suspension another step ahead again. The tradeoff is cost and a little added weight. My dream bike would be the Superdelite with the upgraded Fox float 34 suspension.

Interesting. My Nevo has an air fork and also came with a thudbuster st. I have also owned a Charger. I’ve taken the Nevo over pretty rough terrain and have never once longed for the Charger on this basis. The amount of travel on the Nevo fork is less than the Aion’s, but it’s too little to care about.

I also own a Tern Vektron, no suspension. The R&Ms have been more comfortable, but not significantly so. The primary suspension effect appears to be in the tires, in my experience.

Yes that is interesting that your Nevo came with an air fork ( which one ? ) and Thudbuster St. If mine had those I would still be riding it. It had a very pleasant upright riding position and was otherwise an excellent bike that felt solid as a rock. Mine was a 2018. What year is yours? Yes indeed about the tires. My Nevo also had narrower tires than the Charger. The Charger came with 2.4" tires. As I recall my Nevo had the narrower 50mm Big Ben tires. What size tires does your Nevo have? So come to think of it yes I take your point that I cannot blame the poor handling performance on stony trails on the NCX fork solely, but rather on the combination of NCX spring fork and narrower 50 mm Big Ben tires vs Aion air fork with Super Moto X 2.4".

Last edited:
Back