Recommend a bike rack for ebike with fenders

flashracer

1st post.New to forum. I haven’t yet committed to a ebike but the specialized Comp 4.0 is looking ideal for me and my wife. The problem will be how to haul it. I was looking a Kuat NV 2.0 but wondered if fenders would cause any trouble. Dealer said it would work fine but I wasn’t for sure. Would the ramp work alright with it since I am looking at mid-drives? Kuat is the only ramps I’ve seen at several dealers. Thanks

specialized Comp 4.0
Did you mean Como?
If so then yes, that might be a problem when it comes to the fenders. I have a Turbo Como 4.0 low entry and a I believe a Kuat NV Base 2.0 but I've never tried to put the bike on it since I don't have a receiver hitch yet.
I could try and check if you'd like me to.

And... welcome!

Did you mean Como?
If so then yes, that might be a problem when it comes to the fenders. I have a Turbo Como 4.0 low entry and a I believe a Kuat NV Base 2.0 but I've never tried to put the bike on it since I don't have a receiver hitch yet.
I could try and check if you'd like me to.

And... welcome!
Yes it’s a Como and I sure would appreciate it if you could check and see if it works.
Thank you

I have the hollywood rack for my turbo vado. the rack holds the bike by the frame instead of pushing down over the tires. Works great and holds up to 80lbs per bike. There is a cheaper version made by a company called Overdrive that is rated for about 60lbs per bike.

1st post.New to forum. I haven’t yet committed to a ebike but the specialized Comp 4.0 is looking ideal for me and my wife. The problem will be how to haul it. I was looking a Kuat NV 2.0 but wondered if fenders would cause any trouble. Dealer said it would work fine but I wasn’t for sure. Would the ramp work alright with it since I am looking at mid-drives? Kuat is the only ramps I’ve seen at several dealers. Thanks
I carry 2 Vado 4.0s on a Thule EasyFold XT 2. It’s designed for ebikes with fenders as it attaches to the frame. Good luck.

I carry 2 Vado 4.0s on a Thule EasyFold XT 2. It’s designed for ebikes with fenders as it attaches to the frame. Good luck.
I have read about that rack. Is it easy to load? From what I’ve read it is a little tricky. Kuat is the only rack that I’ve seen at shops around here.

@flashracer I tried the Como on the Kuat Base rack and it would work but would need extra steps for me to be confident. I have the "pizza rack" on my Como so that adds even more "work".
You could probably mount the bike backwards i.e. with the rear wheel in the cradle vs. on the "platform" and I doubt you would have to worry about it especially if you were to add another strap to the front wheel to keep it more stable since it would no longer be in the "trough".
With the "pizza rack" I would be worried because the rack's clamp is about the same size as the gap between the bike frame and the "pizza rack" plus you would need to add foam or something between the fender and tire to shim the gap and also add foam to fill the gap between the fender and the "pizza rack" frame where it attaches to the bike.
Mounting the bike backwards would still require some type of shim between the tire and fender.

If you don't mind lifting the bikes, then I'd recommend the Swagman Dispatch or Chinook (if 45 pounds per bike is enough), the Swagman Current (if 60 pounds per bike is sufficient), or the Swagman E-Spec (if 70 pounds per bike is mandatory). Swagman racks, at least in my market, are consistently the most reasonably priced for e-bike-rated racks. As for lifting the bikes, if you remove the batteries, lift one end into the rack first, then lift the other up and in, that can often work if lifting the whole bike in one movement is too much. If not, there may be aftermarket ramp solutions, I've never looked into that.

@flashracer I tried the Como on the Kuat Base rack and it would work but would need extra steps for me to be confident. I have the "pizza rack" on my Como so that adds even more "work".
You could probably mount the bike backwards i.e. with the rear wheel in the cradle vs. on the "platform" and I doubt you would have to worry about it especially if you were to add another strap to the front wheel to keep it more stable since it would no longer be in the "trough".
With the "pizza rack" I would be worried because the rack's clamp is about the same size as the gap between the bike frame and the "pizza rack" plus you would need to add foam or something between the fender and tire to shim the gap and also add foam to fill the gap between the fender and the "pizza rack" frame where it attaches to the bike.
Mounting the bike backwards would still require some type of shim between the tire and fender.

View attachment 41161
So on the Kuat , the arm sits on top of the plastic fender. I thought it would sit in front of fender. That’s why you shim it.

According to Kuat, you don't need to crank the hook down, so putting it on top of the fender will work fine as long as the fender is reasonably well attached.

I've used these types of racks and put the hook on the tire in front of the fender and it's worked fine as well, although I've added a short strap around the front wheel and tray to make certain it didn't roll, twist or lift. Then the arm just holds the bike upright, as long as it's not so far forward it can pivot over and off the wheel.

I have read about that rack. Is it easy to load? From what I’ve read it is a little tricky. Kuat is the only rack that I’ve seen at shops around here.
The rack has a little ramp to help with loading, but I find it easier to just lift it onto the rack. It took a little trial and error to figure out the right positioning of the bikes and arms. I haven’t tried putting the bikes on other racks, so don’t know how it compares.

I ran into the same issue when looking for a rack for my Vado 3.0, and wife's heavy steel frame with really large fenders. I finally found what in the USA is called Buzz Rack Approach 2, and in the rest of the world a Buzz Rack Scorpion 2. It is the best deal, hands down. Very solid. Rack locks on the vehicle, bikes lock on the rack (same key). Bikes and rack hardly wobble at all. Folds down, with the bikes on the rack, for access to the hatch. The only downside I can think of is that when the bikes are not on the rack, it does not fold entirely up-- I don't mind, as it just takes a minute to remove it from the vehicle. I highly recommend this rack, at 1/2 or less the price of others, some of which do not have all the features this rack has.

The rack has a little ramp to help with loading, but I find it easier to just lift it onto the rack. It took a little trial and error to figure out the right positioning of the bikes and arms. I haven’t tried putting the bikes on other racks, so don’t know how it compares.
I went to another dealer and he was pushing the Thule. I don’t know if the had one there to try. Trying to work a deal on 2 comos

Hi Sidkane,

Do you have any issues with the 9 inches of clearance between the bikes with the EasyFold XT 2? I am a little worried about scratches with the pedals and handle bar clearance.

I just purchased 2 Vado 4.0's for our family.

BR

Jeff

I did a lot of research before I bought my bike carrier. I have an early Thule EasyFold which I feel is the only carrier for an Ebike with fenders. I realize that there are some new models since I bought mine but after looking at them I still think the the EasyFold is #1. I think the clamping of the frame is the most secure way to carry a bike. I lost a nice pedal only bike a couple years ago because of an inferior carrier and that's why I ended up with the Thule.

Just went through this looking for a hitch rack that would hold 2 fat tire electric bikes that both have fenders and rear racks. Settled on Hollywood Racks ebike rack that secures the bikes at the lower tire and across the center bar. Added an adapter for my wife’s step through. Don’t have the bikes yet but put our analog bikes on it and they were very secure. You do need a 2” receiver hitch to use this rack.

Last edited:
I can say local Pedego dealership uses the Kuat NV for their fendered bikes. they had Thule Ez fold but prefer the Kuat

According to Kuat, you don't need to crank the hook down, so putting it on top of the fender will work fine as long as the fender is reasonably well attached.

I've used these types of racks and put the hook on the tire in front of the fender and it's worked fine as well, although I've added a short strap around the front wheel and tray to make certain it didn't roll, twist or lift. Then the arm just holds the bike upright, as long as it's not so far forward it can pivot over and off the wheel.
Do the same with my Vado on the Kuat. Arm on tire in front of fender and extra strap on bike to rack for safety. Never had a problem

We went with the Thule EasyFold XT2; https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2-_-903202 . Kind of a nose bleed price, but its got the best weight rating by far; 65lbs/bike. It's fender friendly with frame clamps. Each bike has 3 points of attachment; a frame clamp and a wheel strap on each wheel. One person can load it with the included ramp. It securely locks onto the hitch receiver and the bike frames with locking knobs. With both eikes loaded it folds away from the car letting us open up the back. With bikes on this operation is well balanced so not much force is needed to rotate the loaded bikes out of the way and back. When its off the car the built in rollers make it easy to put away and then reposition behind the car.

I know, I know, it's expensive. So were the bikes (Vado 5's x 2), so I'm OK with it.

Ride on.

Last edited:
Back