Rebuilding Schwinn SLA battery pack with Li-ion batteries and voltage difference with controller/battery meter

oldone

Hi,

I have an older Schwinn folding ebike model A1020 that was made from around 2006 to 2011.
I think mine is from around 2007. The original SLA battery is long since dead. I want to
rebuild it with a newer Li-ion type battery. The problem I have is that most ebike replacements
batteries with chargers for 24 volts I see on-line are actual 29 volts and I'm not talking
about a 24 volt charger that charges at 29 volts.

I know the original SLA 24 volt batteries are 25.8 when fully charged and not 29 volts.
the bike has a battery meter that shows low/med/hi so even if the higher battery volt
works with the controller the meter will still show hi even when getting very low.
You can damage a battery if you run it too low. Higher voltage battery will not show a
correct battery level and may damage the ebikes controller.

I do see some batteries with a label on the side with 25.2 volts and 29.4 volts but the ones
that are selling are 29.4 volts.

What's the least expensive option to rebuild a battery pack with Li-ion for this bike that
includes a charger because the original SLA charger won't work with Li-ion. I also know cheaper
battery packs will not last as long as higher quality ones but I don't want to spend half the
price of the bike when new just to get a replacement battery and charger for an older bike.
I also only use it occasionally.

Last edited:
Back