Reason(s) for the harsh Vado ride

Hmmm.....now which ebike should I put in my sights? You know, the n+1 rule. :)😊😄
Uh, I dunno :D I'm constantly watching the market, and it seems the next "dream machine" has not been designed yet :) Perhaps one of the Bulls Bikes? (Iconic or E-Stream Evo 45 AM 4). I looked to Canyon: Nice e-bikes, very similar to Vado or Allant+ (who needs yet another Vado?) I would go for Vado SL but it is not made in the step-through version... R&M? Too heavy, too expensive, spotted on the quality. We're going to wait!

I weigh 160# and I have measured the amount of movement on the fork after an average ride at just under 1/4 of an inch. The fork has 2 inches of travel but the spring is to stiff even at the lowest preload. At your weight It must be like a fully rigid fork. I will let you know where I end up.
I know this is an old thread, but just getting a new Vado a two weeks ago today and having ridden 300 miles giving a lot of thought to dialing in "the bike," I'm amazed at the ride, particularly at speed. The rebound setting was key to what I was looking for in terms of adjustment and my fork shows close to 2 inches of travel. This is one sweet bike.

I know this is an old thread, but just getting a new Vado a two weeks ago today and having ridden 300 miles giving a lot of thought to dialing in "the bike," I'm amazed at the ride, particularly at speed. The rebound setting was key to what I was looking for in terms of adjustment and my fork shows close to 2 inches of travel. This is one sweet bike.

Wow Dlee, 2 inches of travel on your fork!
No way do I get that. Thought I had everything set to most cushy ride but maybe not.

Uh, I dunno :D I'm constantly watching the market, and it seems the next "dream machine" has not been designed yet :) Perhaps one of the Bulls Bikes? (Iconic or E-Stream Evo 45 AM 4). I looked to Canyon: Nice e-bikes, very similar to Vado or Allant+ (who needs yet another Vado?) I would go for Vado SL but it is not made in the step-through version... R&M? Too heavy, too expensive, spotted on the quality. We're going to wait!

Same here Stefan.
Just lurking and watching the market.
My criteria:
- Lot of torque. 90 nm or more with class 3
- Butter smooth and quiet motor.
- 500 wh battery or more
- Deep step thru frame
- 40 lbs (18 kg) or less.
Ok you can stop laughing now! 😀😄😆

Yes lots of changes in technology but hey, who knows?!

Same here Stefan.
My criteria:
- 500 wh battery or more
- Deep step thru frame

And don't forget Rocket Red for that extra drop of fast. 😃

Wow Dlee, 2 inches of travel on your fork!
No way do I get that. Thought I had everything set to most cushy ride but maybe not.
Blush...my bad. I was going by the area swept clean on the fork leg. After the Wow ( :) ), I went to the garage and measured, there is two inches of fork leg exposed and the area that is clean from the travel measures an inch and a quarter. Big difference from the eye ball estimate of 2 inches. Apologize.

Same here Stefan.
My criteria:
- 500 wh battery or more
- Deep step thru frame

Class 3 yes but I can tell you the 85 Nm of Giant SyncDrive Pro (Yamaha PW-X2) means a lot. I let my strong friend (and Jacek, too) ride my de-restricted Trance E+ Pro and they were hitting improbable speeds... Like 40 mph! With the small 36t chainring! Yet, the motor is noisy (but off-road tyres are even noisier on-road than the motor is).

The smooth and silent motor is important. Nowadays, I wouldn't buy a bike with less than 600 Wh. Low-step frame is of course important. Weight? We cannot have it all! But add smooth mobile device connectivity. Before Giant releases Ride Control 2 app, riding Giant is a pain with respect to the connectivity.

I was seriously looking to Bulls E-Stream Evo 45 AM. Brose motor... Class 3... Full suspension... What baffled me off was the BLOKS display :) Whichever BLOKS it is, I'll pass.

Blush...my bad. I was going by the area swept clean on the fork leg. After the Wow ( :) ), I went to the garage and measured, there is two inches of fork leg exposed and the area that is clean from the travel measures an inch and a quarter. Big difference from the eye ball estimate of 2 inches. Apologize.

Ok thanks for the clarification. My fork is about the same.
Was hoping maybe the settings could be changed for more cushy ride. But it’s all good!!

Let me know too, fanatic. I weigh the same as you and also find it too stiff at the lowest setting. Maybe it's a matter of installing softer springs if they're available? A full fork change could get expensive/difficult.
So I finally bit the bullet and did something about the front fork on my Vado. After some rather heated discussions with my LBS where they tried to convince me that I didn’t know how to adjust the fork they sourced a new fork for me. A rigid fork from a bike damaged during shipping which they sold to me for half price, $250. Everything fit as it should, cables, fenders and brakes. While I was at it I took 1/2” off each end of the bars. The bike has been transformed. The weight savings is substantial and the bike feels so light and easy to steer. I highly recommend this change for lightweight riders. There is no penalty from removing the suspension fork the ride is better without it probably due to better control. This is how the bike should have come from the factory. Lesson learned, a rigid fork is superior to a cheap suspension fork for the road or commuting. I have also purchased a Kinect seat post which I will be installing soon. If I can find a short reach suspension stem I will probably give that a try too.
272BD67D-E4EB-465D-8361-8B3EF4463A9B.jpeg
876B6A6F-23B2-4DB1-A2B2-F530ACA95153.jpeg
272BD67D-E4EB-465D-8361-8B3EF4463A9B.jpeg
876B6A6F-23B2-4DB1-A2B2-F530ACA95153.jpeg

So I finally bit the bullet and did something about the front fork on my Vado. After some rather heated discussions with my LBS where they tried to convince me that I didn’t know how to adjust the fork they sourced a new fork for me. A rigid fork from a bike damaged during shipping which they sold to me for half price, $250. Everything fit as it should, cables, fenders and brakes. While I was at it I took 1/2” off each end of the bars. The bike has been transformed. The weight savings is substantial and the bike feels so light and easy to steer. I highly recommend this change for lightweight riders. There is no penalty from removing the suspension fork the ride is better without it probably due to better control. This is how the bike should have come from the factory. Lesson learned, a rigid fork is superior to a cheap suspension fork for the road or commuting. I have also purchased a Kinect seat post which I will be installing soon. If I can find a short reach suspension stem I will probably give that a try too.View attachment 78255View attachment 78256View attachment 78255View attachment 78256
Looks really good!

There is no penalty from removing the suspension fork the ride is better without it probably due to better control. This is how the bike should have come from the factory. Lesson learned, a rigid fork is superior to a cheap suspension fork for the road or commuting.
I fully agree with this observation. My 2017 Vado 5.0 is equipped with a rigid fork; Vados in next model years came with suspension forks.

Good decision on the Kinect. You could also look to Baramind BAM suspension handlebars (although the fact you decided to shorten your bars means Baramind ones might be too wide for you).

@Cyklefanatic OP here from way back. This really intrigues me. What bike did the fork come off of? Is it carbon or aluminum or ??? I'm looking at getting a Redshift seatpost and would consider their stem as well with a rigid fork. I've never felt like the OEM fork was doing much good at all for my type of riding, which is now much less off-road than I had originally anticipated. I noted that the Vado SL comes with a rigid fork as well and it would be worth it on my Vado 4.0 just for the weight savings. Your bike certainly looks nice that way.

@Cyklefanatic OP here from way back. This really intrigues me. What bike did the fork come off of? Is it carbon or aluminum or ??? I'm looking at getting a Redshift seatpost and would consider their stem as well with a rigid fork. I've never felt like the OEM fork was doing much good at all for my type of riding, which is now much less off-road than I had originally anticipated. I noted that the Vado SL comes with a rigid fork as well and it would be worth it on my Vado 4.0 just for the weight savings. Your bike certainly looks nice that way.
They never told me what bike it came off of. I will contact them and ask. The fork is aluminum and I never got a chance to weigh it but I did lift it and it it was very light compared to the suspension fork. I would guess a 5-6 pound savings. The redshift suspension stem looks good but I am debating about the extra length. I’m not the tallest person (and getting shorter every year) and don’t want to lean further forward. I may give in and buy it anyway. The VadoSL has a very nice suspension stem but it will not fit the other Vados.

So I finally bit the bullet and did something about the front fork on my Vado. After some rather heated discussions with my LBS where they tried to convince me that I didn’t know how to adjust the fork they sourced a new fork for me. A rigid fork from a bike damaged during shipping which they sold to me for half price, $250. Everything fit as it should, cables, fenders and brakes. While I was at it I took 1/2” off each end of the bars. The bike has been transformed. The weight savings is substantial and the bike feels so light and easy to steer. I highly recommend this change for lightweight riders. There is no penalty from removing the suspension fork the ride is better without it probably due to better control. This is how the bike should have come from the factory. Lesson learned, a rigid fork is superior to a cheap suspension fork for the road or commuting. I have also purchased a Kinect seat post which I will be installing soon. If I can find a short reach suspension stem I will probably give that a try too.View attachment 78255View attachment 78256View attachment 78255View attachment 78256

Wow Cyclefanatic, that's really pretty! Matches perfectly with the white and black frame.
Did you ask if a Specialized front fork would fit, maybe from a 5.0?
Ha! Now you have me thinking of a modification for my 6.0. I would love it if my Vado dropped a few pounds (without dieting!!)

Wow Cyclefanatic, that's really pretty! Matches perfectly with the white and black frame.
Ha! Now you have me thinking of a modification for my 6.0. I would love it if my Vado dropped a few pounds (without dieting!!)
Same here. I'm going to look into it;

@Marci jo and @rochrunner: Forget about the 2017 Vado 5.0 rigid fork. The axle there is different than it is in your Vados; you don't want to replace wheels don't you.

Thank you Stefan.
I honestly had mixed feelings about switching out the front fork of my Vado 6.0. You saved me lots research time, meaning more time to ride it when Spring arrives.
Gonna still be watching if Rochrunner goes ahead with the switch.

I got a chance to weigh the old fork, it’s 5.2 pounds. My guess is the rigid fork is about 1 pound so a 4 pound weight savings. Because the weight is on the fork and the fork is constantly being moved by the rider it is much more noticeable than saving weight on the frame. That light feeling when riding is what transforms the bike.

Back