Rearview Safety Options For Ebikes

Christa E

Not knowing what's behind you and constantly craning around to see can be a bit unbalancing and unsafe.

We've included three of the most popular options for rearview safety and a way to try all three of them on Amazon.

Handle Bar Mirror

Mirrycle-MTB-Mountain-Bicycle-Mirror.jpg

Here is one of the more popular options for under $30 on Amazon, the Mirrycle Bar End Bicycle Mirror. This mirror is highly recommended by many riders, it works on the right or left side and comes with 2 adapters for large and small diameter holes. It is convex, which may not be everyone's ideal fit. For a casual commute on smooth roads, this mirror will most likely hold up pretty well. However, the plastic arm doesn't handle extreme temperatures well, and some users report that setting up can be tricky.

Furthermore, any kind of handlebar mirror will be subject to vibration unless it's tightened as much as possible, and even with the best mirror it's likely that it will have to be retightened after a long ride.

Bike Mirror on Helmet

BIKE MIRROR.jpg

These mirrors are quick and easy to attach with a velcro strap. The crystal view flat mirror helps you accurately judge the distance of objects behind you much better than a curved or convex mirror. 360° of adjustment allows you to use your peripheral vision to accurately see everything behind, while maintaining a clear view of the road ahead. The shaft length places the mirror at a perfect distance in front of you so it stays steady even during bumpy rides. What makes this a nice alternative to the handlebar mirror is that it doesn't turn with the bike, and it remains stable during bumpy rides.

Backup Camera as a Mirror

Check out this video that features a custom electric bike

Using a backup camera for a mirror is brilliant!

Here are some wonderful camera options for under $30 on Amazon.

711vnKQwTcL._SL1500_.jpg

Here's why this option stands above the rest. First, it's waterproof and has 7 LED lights for enhanced night capability. Second, features night vision, which already provides more options than regular mirrors. You have to provide a 12-volt power source, however, so keep that in mind when purchasing.

Final Thoughts

All three options have their pros and cons, and what works for one rider may be a nuisance for another. We gathered some budget-friendly options so that riders can try all three options out without breaking the bank.

What are your thoughts?

Leave a comment in the comment section.

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 920
I use the Mirrycycle and I like that it extends beyond the handlebars to provide an obstruction-free view (my arm is not in the way, for example, as in other handlebar mirrors). I found it easy to set up—the comment that setup "can be tricky" is puzzling indeed. I also like the ability to fold it so one can pass through doorways (as in my garage storage). In nearly two years of use, both on road and off-road, I've never had to retighten it. I would recommend it highly.

I second the Mirrycle mirror. I have mine mounted down and under the handlebar, which helps keep the space above the bar unobstructed. Regardless of what you use to check the traffic behind you, the best defensive weapon IMO is your ears. While I enjoy listening to music or a good podcast as much as the next person, I need to hear what's coming up behind me so the earbuds stay in my backpack. I've gotten pretty good at detecting a city or tour bus coming up on my tail.
Mirror.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed on the listening part, I like to keep one earbud in and at a lower volume, I need to hear everything around me- especially a car creeping up on me. The Mirrcycle definitely seems to be a favorite among riders.

I use the Mirrycycle and I like that it extends beyond the handlebars to provide an obstruction-free view (my arm is not in the way, for example, as in other handlebar mirrors). I found it easy to set up—the comment that setup "can be tricky" is puzzling indeed. I also like the ability to fold it so one can pass through doorways (as in my garage storage). In nearly two years of use, both on road and off-road, I've never had to retighten it. I would recommend it highly.
I think on cruiser or traditional shaped handlebars that bend toward the rider it can be a little tricky to get an arm angle and position that allows good visibility without being in the way. My LBS had a little difficulty installing the Mirrycle on my Gazelle Arroyo because the plastic endcap on the grip was oval shaped instead of round, making it difficult to know where exactly to drill in the oval to match up with the handlebar opening. They removed the grip and took great care in measuring ... got a perfect fit and I really like the Mirrycle mirror.

I love my helmet mirror. Finding one that was sturdy and stable was a bit challenging, but the mirror gives an easy-to-access, clear view of the rear.

https://www.efficientvelo.com/home/safezone/

This is a very stable mirror, attached with included zip-ties and including little hook-and-loop zip ties to use to find a good placement before using the plastic zip-ties. It takes time to get it adjusted the first time, which I did over a series of days/rides, till I got it just the way I like it. Then, I rarely need to adjust it. Also, if/when I get a new helmet, I'll be able to transfer this spendy mirror (it's $40.00).

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 2.38.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 2.38.24 PM.png

I have tried several different mirrors and my favorite for years now is the Bike Peddler Take-a-look. Stable, easy to mount and with a good field of view. Mounting it to the helmet may require zip ties, depending on design, but you can also mount it onto your glasses.
I have gotten so used to it that I catch myself looking to the upper left, even when I am not riding my bike and not wearing my helmet.

Attachments

• 233835_large.jpg
    233835_large.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 776
mirrors are a requirement in Germany, and Busch and Müller make these bar end types: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/mirrors.php

I have traditional swept back North Road style upright handlebars and didn’t like how far I had to take my eyes off the road to check the Mirrycle so instead I use a mirror that clamps onto the handlebar on a flexible rod that brings it up nearer my line of vision.

mirrors are a requirement in Germany, and Busch and Müller make these bar end types: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/mirrors.php

I have traditional swept back North Road style upright handlebars and didn’t like how far I had to take my eyes off the road to check the Mirrycle so instead I use a mirror that clamps onto the handlebar on a flexible rod that brings it up nearer my line of vision.

I haven't used the bar end types but I agree that I dislike taking my eyes off the road at any time, I like that with these you still are aware of the road ahead of you, even peripherally or un-focused.

I don't feel bar end mirrors are really any distraction from riding. I don't wear a helmet, so it's the best solution for me.

I have tried several different mirrors and my favorite for years now is the Bike Peddler Take-a-look. Stable, easy to mount and with a good field of view. Mounting it to the helmet may require zip ties, depending on design, but you can also mount it onto your glasses.
I have gotten so used to it that I catch myself looking to the upper left, even when I am not riding my bike and not wearing my helmet.
I use this mirror. It hooks onto my glasses. I suppose I could mount it to the helmet but haven't bothered.
mirror.jpg

I've used the bicycle peddler mirror on my helmet in the past, but the angle was always weird and no matter how I positioned it I'd have to move my head to the left some and look up. And there were a couple times I forgot to put the mirror on my helmet before getting to where I started my ride. D'oh.

I installed a Mirrycle bar end mirror on my ebike and it solved my issue once and for all, and I don't need to deal with a helmet mirror. Much better setup for me.

I like the compact design. Checked out the link and it's the usual verbiage:
1532977298982.png

Geez. It's like folks think we don't have mail service here in the Pacific. Sometimes I feel like Tom Hanks in "Cast Away" when I shop on Ebay. Oh well, probably a knock-off on Aliexpress or I'll ship it my brother and have him reroute it. Won't be the first time.

UPDATE: Never mind...Amazon has it. They know where I am.

Last edited:
Back