Rear Rotor ringing sound?

PG1

My Rhino has turned 100 miles now, had the usual bedding in noises which have been sorted on the brakes. My LBS sorted the creaking under load from the crank - no grease present from factory! What I have now is a n occasional ringing sound from the rear, coasting or peddling makes no difference and generally above 10 mph. If I tap the rotor spokes with the butt of a screwdriver handle I can get the noise whilst stationary, pressing my finger on one of the rotor spokes or slightly apply the rear brake, the noise goes. Anyone had this?

Last edited:
It sounds like one or both the brake pads are dragging.

Have you checked out the tension/torque of the spokes? I've had issues with the spokes being at various levels of torque. This might cause the ringing and brake rotor not to be true. I just got a spoke tool from Amazon and tighten the spokes by guess-i-mation to the same tension (some spokes took several 360 degree turns to tighten). The pinging sound went away in the wife radcity step-thru once I tighten the spokes.

I still hear a high pitch ringing sound if I tap on rear disk brake on one rover; but, never hear the ping sound when riding (other rover makes a thud when the brake rotors are tapped).

Hi
I have the same issue in my e-bike with Tektro hydraulic brakes. The ringing sound is arise from Tektro breaking rotors due to their design that prone to vibration especially when side wind and on higher speed.
The sound is mostly gone when Tektro break rotors was changed to Shimano rotors.Shimano rotors less prone to vibrations.But Shimano rotors required only polymer brake pads and they are very quiet.
Normally Tektro rotors when taping are ringing like a bell. This sound is quite loud.

Have you checked out the tension/torque of the spokes? I've had issues with the spokes being at various levels of torque. This might cause the ringing and brake rotor not to be true. I just got a spoke tool from Amazon and tighten the spokes by guess-i-mation to the same tension (some spokes took several 360 degree turns to tighten). The pinging sound went away in the wife radcity step-thru once I tighten the spokes.

I still hear a high pitch ringing sound if I tap on rear disk brake on one rover; but, never hear the ping sound when riding (other rover makes a thud when the brake rotors are tapped).
Thanks, I bought a spoke tool and went round all of them. None of them were actually very tight so maybe like you, I went through all them until they were nipping up but not as tight as I would do say, a nut. I kept to just using just my thumb and one finger so I wasn't able to over tighten them. Test ride tomorrow will tell but I still think it's to do with the pads.

Back