Rear Rack installation for RadRover

Fofer

Let's talk about compatible rear racks for the RadRover. I've done some searches online and have seen folks asking, without getting specific answers. The RadRover's lack of pre-drilled mounting holes or brazeons makes it a bit trickier. Rad Power posted a video of the "BlackBurn Outpost" rack, but I don't really like the look of it. My seat is set pretty low, which means I don't have enough room for the clamp of a rear post-mounted rack.

Instead I installed the Ibera IB-RA5 (which works with disk brakes, and is the same rack system I have on my other eBike, so the clip-on bag I use is interchangeable.)

For mounting this rack, I replaced the seat clamp with the Sunlite Alloy Seatpost Clamp Rack Mount. I also used the Portland Design Works P-Mounts to secure it to the seatstay. It's working great so far. I especially like this rack because it has a lower shelf that's a good spot to store my lock when riding.

See pics below:

Monosnap_2015-10-23_12-22-48.png

Monosnap_2015-10-23_10-28-20.png

Monosnap_2015-10-23_10-28-50.png

Monosnap_2015-10-23_10-29-19.png

Monosnap_2015-10-23_10-29-50.png

(I'll obviously use bungee cords to secure this lock if I ride this way)

Monosnap_2015-10-23_10-30-32.png

(This big Utility lock wedges in there perfectly!)

Monosnap_2015-10-23_12-19-35.png

I like the look, feel and utility of this rear rack solution so I figured I'd share. Thanks for all the great info, gang! What rack solutions have you found?

Loving this eBike. Thank you RadPower!

Last edited:
Fofer, have you ever gotten close to the maximum load capacity of 55lbs? I'm wondering if it would be a few pounds less since we have to attach it to a seat post.

I put on a Topeak rack that mounts to the seat post only. I have a Topeak bag that clips right in, so I stuck with that brand. Goes on easy and looks good, but doesn't have the weight capacity or impact protection that a three point rack does. Mine is limited to about 20 lbs, which is way more than I put back there, but still, it would be nice to have more headroom for weight if I need it.

UPDATE:

As it turns out there are threaded holes by the RadRover's brakes. So I used the disk brake mounting pegs that came with the Ibera IB-RA5, to fasten the legs of the rack to those top threaded holes. I then used the P-Clamps to fasten the rack’s arms to the seat-stay instead.

It feels very sturdy, attaching to a solid point on the bike, and looks great. The rack is also in a better position overall, further back and lower down, but with adequate clearance for the brakes and rear tire.

I am also now able to switch back to the original seatpost clamp, which I preferred anyway, since with it I can adjust the seat’s height by hand, and on-the-fly.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002T5OG5Y/ref=nosim/appleink/

Fofer, have you ever gotten close to the maximum load capacity of 55lbs? I'm wondering if it would be a few pounds less since we have to attach it to a seat post.

Not yet - more like 20 - 25... but with this new setup, I have no doubt it'd be fine with 55...

UPDATE:

As it turns out there are threaded holes by the RadRover's brakes. So I used the disk brake mounting pegs that came with the Ibera IB-RA5, to fasten the legs of the rack to those top threaded holes. I then used the P-Clamps to fasten the rack’s arms to the seat-stay instead.

It feels very sturdy, attaching to a solid point on the bike, and looks great. The rack is also in a better position overall, further back and lower down, but with adequate clearance for the brakes and rear tire.

I am also now able to switch back to the original seatpost clamp, which I preferred anyway, since with it I can adjust the seat’s height by hand, and on-the-fly.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002T5OG5Y/ref=nosim/appleink/

I just got this rack but can't figure out how to mount to the brake on the left. I can see in your picture the right side with the spacer and the long screw that came with the rack went right in. But on the side with my brake, I removed the top brake screw and tried the long screw with spacer but it just pushed right through so screw seems too thin to catch threads on that side and the original screw is too short to work with the spacer.

Could you post a picture of the break side where it is screwed in?

Update: I found another hole lower down then the one I was trying which fits the screw well... problem solved

thanks
Sam

Last edited:
Looks like RPB is now offering a rack for the RAD Rover
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Nice. I like that one a lot better than the "BlackBurn Outpost" rack they previously showed in their how-to video.
However, I see this (very important) note on their page too:

The "RadRover Rear Rack" is only compatible with the 2016 RadRover model and will not mount to the 2015 RadRover model.

I am glad to have installed the Ibera though, simply because my other eBike has the same rack. So I can clip in the same bag on either one, depending on which one I'm riding that day...

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
can you post a closer pic of the area where the "clamps" go? the part right under the seat. is that the "Portland design P Mounts"? i noticed the amazon link provided says "currently unavalable" so without that item this rack is a no go?

Thanks for recommending the rack. I installed mine today. The 2016 Radrovers have all the eyelets for an easier installation. Here's mine. I think the only further mod I want are the Big O fenders, if they ever start offering the install hardware again (or some of us finding fitting hardware).
2016-06-22 18.23.30.jpg

Whoa, I just realized I could mount my old seatpost-mounted tail light to this rack. Just take the light off of the mounting hardware and use two layers of double sided tape plus zip tie the tab on the back of the light to the narrow part of the rear plate. Two layers of tape makes it a bit easier to reach the on/off button. This removes a little of messiness on the seatpost.

2016-06-22 20.43.23.jpg

Back