Rear Rack for 500 ST

knharper

Region
USA
I decided to add a rack to my Series 500 ST, and I ordered the Ibera that Ride1Up recommended from Amazon, but it did not fit and I had to return it. If it could be adapted somehow, I could not figure it out. I see that R!U has changed their recommendations somewhat. They still recommend the Ibera but they also recommend this one Songmics. Anyone have any experience with these racks, or can you recommend another one that will work with this bike? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 8.19.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 8.19.08 AM.png
    586.4 KB · Views: 253
I have the exact same rack on my 500 XR and it fits perfect out of the box. You just have to make sure the individual bars/brackets are oriented the correct way. I can try to post a pic when I get home.

Did you use the Ibera or the Songmics? Either way, I would love to see those photos of how you attached this rack, especially near the hub. Thanks!

I got the Songmics. Here are a few pics of the install. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 6513A1C7-7F0B-4AA0-9AA0-EB3BE11BAE77.jpeg
    6513A1C7-7F0B-4AA0-9AA0-EB3BE11BAE77.jpeg
    909.6 KB · Views: 311
  • E861321D-4C7F-44E7-AF25-22BCF03DAB12.jpeg
    E861321D-4C7F-44E7-AF25-22BCF03DAB12.jpeg
    781.1 KB · Views: 305
  • 5E9CA02A-5FBA-4A5A-9EE3-10F9A2993B7E.jpeg
    5E9CA02A-5FBA-4A5A-9EE3-10F9A2993B7E.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 319
Thanks. This helps a lot. I can't quite see exactly what is happening near the hub, but I think I can figure it out. Did you have to take off the rear wheel?

You don't have to touch anything with the rear wheel. I think you might be having a problem with the black rectangle piece (pic 1 & 2) that attaches to the frame near the hub. It's the only piece that attaches near the hub. I thought it needed a long screw to reach into the frame but it is hollowed out somewhat so that the regular size screws that come with the rack are also used for that piece. When you start putting it together keep everything loose until all parts are connected. Then you can adjust as needed, center everything and finally tighten it all down. Patience is the key. Take your time and it WILL fit.

Make sure you got the rack SBC03B for disc brakes and not USBC01B for linear pull brakes as they have different mounting brackets.

Thanks so much for the pictures (nice and clear) with explanation and tips. I have it on order so we shall see!

So I'm finally getting around to assembling the bike rack (we don't want to rush such things!), and I think I have figured out how to assemble the parts. Your advice about keeping things loose until the end is good. Of course, I waited until the weather turned cold! But the afternoons are still warm enough.
I was going to install fenders too but decided I don't really need them. Looks like yours do not have fenders. Any thoughts?

I've only had one ride so far that took me through some muddy, clay like puddles and when i got home my bike....as well as my back looked like hell!! Without being able to just hose the bike down it took me about 1/2 hour to clean all the shi.........stuff off my bike. Meanwhile, my son was riding my Espin 21 Sport that has fenders and his bike was nearly emaculate. Needless to say I am considering fenders at this point.

Good point. I ordered fenders from Amazon, the ones that R1U had recommended for the 500 Step Thru but I could never get them to fit or attach so I returned them. Let me know if you find some that work and are installable...

Good point. I ordered fenders from Amazon, the ones that R1U had recommended for the 500 Step Thru but I could never get them to fit or attach so I returned them. Let me know if you find some that work and are installable...
I think I remember hearing that even the stock R1U fenders were very finicky to adjust and that was one reason I didn't buy them with the bike. My Espin has plastic fenders and I must say that they are great!

Attachments

• 100_2429.JPG
    100_2429.JPG
    601.6 KB · Views: 212
Back