Rear fender removal on Superdelite?

geoff1

Has anyone removed the rear fender on their Superdelite? Are there problems that I should anticipate before trying? If so, any recommendations about how to proceed? I can see a number of possibilities... thanks in advance for any advice.

I have done it on a 2018 delite. It is best to put the bike up in a stand as the first step is to remove the rear wheel. The attachment points to the bike should be one through the leading end of the fender through the front end of the swing arm and two for the fender stays into a holder attached at the back end of the swing arm. There will be a machine screw with washer holding the front bottom of the fender into the swing arm. The other two attachment points will be at the back of the swing arm with a machine screw on either side going in very close to and above the drop outs. The plastic hardware piece that holds two of the fender stays are likely attached on the outside of the swing arm with the screw head outside, turned in to the inside. It could be the opposite with the stay attachment mount inside of the dropout end and the screw head going from inside to out. If you plan to reinstall the fenders, it is a good idea to put all the hardware in a zip lock bag and tape it to the stays so you will have everything you need in one place when the time comes.

Thanks for this, Alaskan. I now see that I do need to remove the rear wheel. Now just need to figure out how to do this without a rack. Will need to improvise.

M: I just received the a 1Up rack, put it on my car, and don't see a way to mount the bike on the rack without removing the fender. How are you doing it the "uneasy" way. (I thought of stuffing a rag or something of the sort between the tire and the rear fender where the 1up arm hits the fender. This might provide some downward support for the 1Up's arm on the fender. Do you use a different strategy?) Note: I don't see a need for the fender unless it's raining. Absent the fender I could put a thin piece of wood on the rack if I were concerned about spray hitting my back (the fender's reflector seems unnecessary, since somewhat redundant with the rear light.)

I got a 1UP fender cushion for the rear wheel and I also loosen the rear fender supports so I can snug the rear fender down onto the tire while transporting on the rack. You can move the fender up and down easily if you loosen the hex screws at the base of the fender support rods. When I take the bike off of the rack I pull the fender up off of the rear tire and retighten the hex screws. Works pretty good.

Thanks very much for this and the link! (and I wasn't aware that 1Up sold a fender cushion). I'll try your approach and figure that Plan B will be removal of the fender.

Machokie, fyi... I found out a way to avoid loosening the rear supports on the SD and still use the 1up rack (keeping the fender on the Superdelite). The solution should make loading and unloading very simple (without re-adjusting the fender supports). I put a groove in a piece of scrap wood (see first attachment). I load the bike on the rack and then slide the wood snugly between the tire and the fender (see second attached photo) with the wood's groove allowing for the bolt's protrusion under the fender. Just to provide a little extra support, I stuff a rag behind the piece of wood (between the tire and the fender). This seems like it should work, with the 1up arm bearing down on the fender as close to the wood spacer as possible; haven't tried it on the rack yet, but when I press on the fender (off of the 1up rack) there's no fender give at all.

Attachments

• IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 329
Back