Rear Fender on RCS Removal

Merc

Does anyone know if the rear fender of the RCS can be removed without removing the rear wheel?

Hello Merc

Now then . . . the quick answer to your question is . . . YES!

Will it be easy? Well . . . not exactly.

20181223_155905_HDR.jpg

As you can see from the photo their isn't that much room to operate in. Well your saying, don't be such a clod. let the air out of the tire. I mean . . . how hard can it be?

Well, these are 4 inch wide Kenda Krusade Sport tires with wire beads and tubes inside. They do not collapse so easily. Even with the air out of the tire and you pushing the tire down, you will only have maybe 45 millimeters to work in. An 'L' shaped 4 millimeter allen key is about 25 millimeters on the short side and the screw your about to attempt to remove is about 19 millimeter long. Do you see where this is going?

You will have to reach in there up to your knuckles and slowly turn the allen wrench, and Oh by the way, they did put Locktite 242 on the end of those screws.

Now, if you are a ham fisted American as I am, trying this maneuver is like driving a 747 up to the drive thru window at McDonalds .

OK . . so it's impossible you say? I stand a better chance of parking the QE2 in a slip meant for a dingy! I'm not saying that.

Is it annoying? Is it frustrating? Will you drop the wrench countless number of times? Will you say many, many bad things? Ahhh . . yes . . yes . . yes . AND YES!

Believe me, I know, because I've done it.

The only reason you would do this is because you don't want to remove the wire ties, unplug the motor connector, remove the chain and nuts on the axle. Then put it all back together properly and torque the axle nuts to 45 newton meters.

So . . their you have it.

Hi Merc,

I removed the rear fender from the CCX the same way. In addition to deflating the tire I also used a compression clamp with rubberized jaws to compress the deflated tire and rim. I don't know how well it will work the RCS as those are beefier tires. You need a lot of patience because they did put Loctite on the CCX screws and the allen wrench can only rotate maybe 1/4 turn each time. Good luck!

Thanks the the response. I was able to get it done, deflated tire and Allen wrench was the trick.

You're a better man than I am. I took one look at that rear fender and said to hell with it. I installed the front one to make them match!

I like the look of the bikes w/o the fenders. I kept the front off and when the time comes for the rear wheel to come off that fender will be kaput too.

I hit a tree with the front of my bike and the fender shattered. I don’t think they sell the front fender separately?

Back