rear drive hub

alistair carson

I recently bought an Dillenger electric conversion kit, rear wheel drive. I have installed all the conponents except one fairly major part, the rear wheel. As per instructions I have added the brake disc and have tried to do the same with the freewheel/ cassette. The problem I have is there is nowhere or thread to attach it to. Is there a part missing or am I simply doing it the wrong way??

thanks

I recently bought an Dillenger electric conversion kit, rear wheel drive. I have installed all the conponents except one fairly major part, the rear wheel. As per instructions I have added the brake disc and have tried to do the same with the freewheel/ cassette. The problem I have is there is nowhere or thread to attach it to. Is there a part missing or am I simply doing it the wrong way??

thanks
Is it a freewheel or cassette? It sounds like you might be trying to install the wrong cluster of gear cogs on the Dillenger hub.

freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Hi,
I took the original cassette off the bike but there's nothing on the hub to align the splines on and there are no threads to screw the freewheel onto.
It looks like there's something missing.

thanks

@alistair carson , you either have a freewheel hub on the old bike or a cassette hub. The new hub motor, if it is actually for a rear wheel will have some place to thread either a freewheel cluster or a cassette set like J.R. posted above. They don't mount the same way. Can you take pictures of your new rear wheel setup and pics of the top/ side & bottom of what you need to put on the new motor. That will help us help you a bit more!

Mr. Alistair Carson, did you resolve your rear cassette/freewheel issue? Like Ann and JR suggested, you either have a) threaded freewheel OR a splined cassette. This would be around the axle on the opposite side of the disc brake. Its either threaded or splined, period. If neither condition exists, the next most likely scenario is they sent you a front drive motor kit instead of a rear drive kit. The front drive kit will measure approx. 100mm between the flanges which mount between the fork tubes, The rear motor will measure approximately 135mm between the flanges which mount in the rear dropouts. They are NOT interchangeable. The rear motor will not fit between the front fork dropouts, and the front motor will drop inside the rear frame with no axle extending out to bolt on. On certain hub motors, the mounting system(threaded or splined) is contained in the side motor cover. On my ebike hub , you can remove the side cover and relace it with a new mounting cover plate. Sometimes the cover plate cracks do to heavy stress in the highest gears (smallest cogs farthest to the outside of the bike). Replacing the side cover is much less expensive then replacing the motor. If for some reason your motor was manufactured without the correct mounting option, this could be one solution. I'm assuming its a brand new kit, hopefully the vendor will swap it out and get you rolling shortly. I hope this helps identify your issue.

Back