Rear carrier swap for pannier on 2020 Delite/Superdelite

Allandpm

I'm planning on getting the 2020 Delite or Superdelite with the regular rear carrier rack. I was wondering if it was removable and if the smaller pannier rack could be installed. It may require a new rear fender.I could also order it with the pannier rack and do the change. It would make the decision process easier if I knew they could be swapped.

I'm planning on getting the 2020 Delite or Superdelite with the regular rear carrier rack. I was wondering if it was removable and if the smaller pannier rack could be installed. It may require a new rear fender.I could also order it with the pannier rack and do the change. It would make the decision process easier if I knew they could be swapped.
It’s not easily swapped at the moment since the parts aren’t available as aftermarket. You would need to rewire the light, swap the fender and the rack. I’m hoping this will be a parts kit available soon as I know many will want this option and we want this option for our inventory. I imagine it will be possible next spring.

rm_sd_2020_rack.jpg

The Superdelite is a big ebike. For those of us who are shorter than average, the optional pannier rack (right) would make swinging a leg over the rear wheel a good deal simpler. Losing sprung suspension of the panniers (along with lower load limits) could be a loss worth accepting. I'd add the same 75mm dropper post as I have on my 2019 Homage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dave and Chris for the reply. I'm planning on the 47cm frame. Do you think the seat on the pannier bike can be lowered more than the bike with the regular carrier rack? I'm 5'6" and concerned about the ability to touch the ground when seated.

1. I'm planning on the 47cm frame.
  2. Do you think the seat on the pannier bike can be lowered more than the bike with the regular carrier rack?
  3. I'm 5'6" and concerned about the ability to touch the ground when seated.
Allan …
We're about the same height. (We also live the same distance from the equator allowing us to enjoy year-round ebiking!)

Judging from the photos, it appears that the saddle can be set at the lowest position even with the traditional rack installed; so, the answer to #2 is 'No!' Here is the 'evidence', courtesy of Photoshop…
rm_sd_2020_rack_a.jpg

My personal opinion:
  • If you can place both feet on the ground when stopped, the seat will be set lower than the 'correct' pedalling height but
  • this can be overcome by using a dropper post which will give you two heights (low when stopped and high when pedalling).
  • A dropper post will also make it much easier to get onto the bike, but only with the traditional rack (above) removed.
Maybe, a 75mm dropper (usually the minimum up/down range) will be just right – it is for me on my Homage which has a 49cm frame. Whatever you do, don't choose a dropper post with an excessive range which will propel you so far skyward that, when it's in the 'up' position, your feet won't be able to reach down to the pedals!

… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Allan …
We're about the same height. (We also live the same distance from the equator allowing us to enjoy year-round ebiking!)

Judging from the photos, it appears that the saddle can be set at the lowest position even with the traditional rack installed; so, the answer to #2 is 'No!' Here is the 'evidence', courtesy of Photoshop…
View attachment 40264

My personal opinion:
  • If you can place both feet on the ground when stopped, the seat will be set lower than the 'correct' pedalling height but
  • this can be overcome by using a dropper post which will give you two heights (low when stopped and high when pedalling).
  • A dropper post will also make it much easier to get onto the bike, but only with the traditional rack (above) removed.
Maybe, a 75mm dropper (usually the minimum up/down range) will be just right – it is for me on my Homage which has a 49cm frame. Whatever you do, don't choose a dropper post with an excessive range which will propel you so far skyward that, when it's in the 'up' position, your feet won't be able to reach down to the pedals!

… David

Thank you David and Photoshop.That's pretty clear now. I have been considering a dropper post. The X-Fusion Manic seatpost that Riese Muller installs shows the outter housing not lowered all the way down. Can it be inserted lower othrerwise it may add excess height. Thanks, Allan

Last edited:
I agree @David Berry especially if you add a dropper seatpost.
Hi Chris. Have you had any update from R&M on the availability of the pannier rack as an accessory?
Also it was suggested by R&M that tyre clearance might be an issue with CX option which is perhaps why not available to order in that configuration.
It does however appear that CX uses the same mudguards which I would have thought would have been the primary influence on clearance. I am looking at removing CX rack and fitting stop light to mudguard with concealed wiring so will post if I come up with a workable solution for this.
Cheers Stephen

No updates yet, but I haven't asked to order it. Tire clearance is a bit tighter but not so much. I think the fixed fender mount could pose a danger under off-road conditions if a rock gets stuck between the tire and fender. I would recommend making a request with your dealer and having them order the parts. I do believe it's possible. The install will be a bit of job with the light wiring, but it's not too challenging.

Thanks Chris.

I collect my bike this coming Saturday so will have a better idea of the options after that.
Cheers

Very interested in converting my Superdelite (once it arrives in a couple weeks) to the rear pannier rack. Please post if your successful in ordering OE replacement parts.

Hi,

I now have my Delite but as indicated it was always my intention with the CX to just remove the rear rack and refit on the few occasions when required. When I definitely do need a rack the capacity of the pannier rack might be insufficient.

LBS has refitted rear light to guard as shown in photos.

I agree for some that it might be a good option to have the pannier rack for day to day use so hopefully someone will confirm it will be available from R&M as a spares option.

Cheers Stephen

View attachment 40260
The Superdelite is a big ebike. For those of us who are shorter than average, the optional pannier rack (right) would make swinging a leg over the rear wheel a good deal simpler. Losing sprung suspension of the panniers (along with lower load limits) could be a loss worth accepting. I'd add the same 75mm dropper post as I have on my 2019 Homage.
Dear Dave, very relevant post for me. I am 66.5 inches tall with circa 29 inseam. Currently I am riding a 49 cm Charger 3 which is just manageable but I want to trade up to Super Delite. Without the GX option I am in a quandry about the 47 or 51 SD frame. The 51 has a lower stand over height than the 47 and is 3cm lower than my Charger. But the lowest seat height will be an issue but I am planning to cut down the post and have a very low profile dropper. What would you advise. The 47 would work but I feel the 51 frame would be better overall. But really I am unsure what to do. Thanks very much.

Back