Ravis battery talk

Sure was a good interview Ravi unfortunately I can't find my electric bike action article you wrote I'm sure this was much more comprehensive thank you

Ravi, thanks for sharing so much knowledge with us. After reading your articles I now know that for the best battery life I should charge to 80% and don’t discharge below 30%. My question is that if I need more range than that provided using those limits, exceeding which of those limits will be the least harmful. Going below 30% or charging above 80%? Hope that make sense.

Ravi, thanks for sharing so much knowledge with us. After reading your articles I now know that for the best battery life I should charge to 80% and don’t discharge below 30%. My question is that if I need more range than that provided using those limits, exceeding which of those limits will be the least harmful. Going below 30% or charging above 80%? Hope that make sense.

Hi @Daneflyer ,

Thanks for your kind words and I hope the video was useful.

You can absolutely charge above 80 and go below 30. This won't harm the battery very much EXCEPT that you should not let them stay at very low or very high voltages for long periods of time. Even if you do once in a while, that is fine but regularly sitting at voltages above 90% will accelerate some of the parasitic reactions.
So, I charge my batteries to 85 or 90% and when I do need the extra range, I just charge to 100% but then I use it immediately.

For your question, I would charge to 90% and then safely take it down to 10%.

Hi @Daneflyer ,

Thanks for your kind words and I hope the video was useful.

You can absolutely charge above 80 and go below 30. This won't harm the battery very much EXCEPT that you should not let them stay at very low or very high voltages for long periods of time. Even if you do once in a while, that is fine but regularly sitting at voltages above 90% will accelerate some of the parasitic reactions.
So, I charge my batteries to 85 or 90% and when I do need the extra range, I just charge to 100% but then I use it immediately.

For your question, I would charge to 90% and then safely take it down to 10%.

Same here. After a ride I let them sit overnight and not charge until I’m preparing to ride.

Thanks to the ques from Rav (much appreciated) I just set a timer to charge for a 45% recharge from my normal ride. This is easy on me and gives an easy on the battery swing from 35% to 80%.

My only question would be "topping off" from 80% to 90% just before a ride. Is the fact there is a second "topping" charge detrimental, i.e. more so than a single 35% to 90% charge.

It helps if you know your estimated battery need for the day.
Example- battery was 40% after ride today. I charged it to 70% as a start.
Tomorrow I can ride with that or plug in charger when I get up if extra is needed.
I try to only charge to uppermost levels just before ride, if needed

My only question would be "topping off" from 80% to 90% just before a ride.

Hi jim,

you could charge it to 100% without worrying much.
Anywhere in the ballpark of 90% to 93% is just fine. I would not worry too much about 80% or 90%.
If you don't let the battery sit at 100% for hours on end, then everything else is redundant.

That explains why my good chargers don't charge to 100%, they always charge to about 98%

I use a timer for my charger. I set it 1-2 hours charging time since I know it will partially charge my battery (within the 50-70% SOC sweet spot). And then fully charge it just before having another bike ride.

Back