Range with Throttle only

itsjustme

Hi all-

Trying to get a sense of what the range of the bike is on throttle only. Flat roads. Curious for all battery sizes but would be particularly interested in the large batter size.

Thanks very much in advance!

Blue Monkey Ebikes has videos (@Mikey- ) of a throttle only range testing for some bike models, using the same route to test each bike. You can find them on youtube.

The problem, of course, with this type of testing is that it will vary with the weight of the driver, composition of road/path surface, tire inflation, etc. There are a lot of variables I can think of and I'm not even a techie sort.

It would be great if some kind of standardized testing method might be developed, like the mpg ratings of cars. Of course, mpg also would varies depending on load, tire inflation, etc., but the industry has a standard way of testing to allow consumers to compare different cars.

The problem, of course, with this type of testing is that it will vary with the weight of the driver, composition of road/path surface, tire inflation, etc. There are a lot of variables I can think of and I'm not even a techie sort.

And one of the biggest variables - speed...range drops off dramatically the faster you go.

In the early 2000's, most ebikes were throttle only (and with heavy and bulky lead acid batteries). I had to add a controller so that I can configure it to make it run at different partial throttle settings, just like the pedelec system, since I was getting tired and numb right hand from operating the throttle. Besides, the pedelec mode extends the range of the battery.

Having a heavy ebike (with battery and motor) requires a small amount of steady power to maintain speed. With the throttle alone, it is hard to have a steady power for a long time since your hand gets tired of holding it in the in-between position.

I had to add a controller so that I can configure it to make it run at different partial throttle settings, just like the pedelec system, since I was getting tired and numb right hand from operating the throttle. .
Was this "controller" something you built? and if so, how? I have a throttle only kit and while it does have a cruise control button, something with 2 or 3 preset current levels would be convenient for me.

Was this "controller" something you built? and if so, how? I have a throttle only kit and while it does have a cruise control button, something with 2 or 3 preset current levels would be convenient for me.

I used a cheap PWM controller from ebay and placed it in between the battery and the motor.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/nyc-electric-bike-law.940/page-6#post-151811

1535148081402.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-48...d-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-/111851538617

We just put up a new web-site to explain our products better on how they perform off-road. The NEW e-bike comparison page has a throttle-only range calculator that's based on the seminal science book on the subject ("Bicycling Science" - MIT Press) and a lot of research. You can't argue with physics!

http://riderungu.com/e-bike-compare/

(calculator is at the bottom of the page)

I agree with the comment regarding holding the throttle for long durations, it's uncomfortable. Depending on your pedelec settings, you can achieve the same result by pedaling without actually exerting force.

Wow this is super interesting. If the calculator is right, bike and rider weight make almost no difference, looks like rolling resistance is the biggest factor. I sort of knew this but I didn't realize how big of a difference riding surface would make.

Makes sense then, that adding some information about the tires could be interesting (street vs mountain).

I'd also love to see an elevation gain box added to the calculator!

My Biktrix 20AH battery will get about 25-29 miles with level 3 assist (15-20MPH). Throttle only eats the battery pretty quickly at level 5, I would say I could maybe get 15 miles with throttle only at level 4-5. Im about 220lbs. Be careful.. Once the battery level gets to 1-2 bars it will cut off often at full throttle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. We'll look to add % grade in the future.

You're absolutely right. On flat road, rolling resistance has a big impact... up until about 15 mph when wind resistance takes over. Weight of the rider and load take over as the main driver for more power once the slope increases a few %.

I live in a hilly area. My commute to work is about 26 miles round trip, and I can do that round trip without charging, and run an errand or two, and have "one bar" left .... Here's what that looks like.
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 7.54.27 PM.png

Then, my husband and I took a weekend recreational ride on a bike trail. We rode for three hours, and barely made a dent in our batteries' capacity. The difference? NO HILLS. The route is so flat that google maps won't even give elevations on it--just says "the route is mostly flat"

So, hills have a huge impact on range, methinks--going up hill, lugging me, the bike, and the battery, is a lot of work for the battery, even when offset by downhill stretches that use little battery at all.

Thanks all. Really helpful. I realize I’m asking the group who mostly owns the brand but any other full suspension bike with a better bang for the buck than the juggernaut fs that you considered?

If you want to ask the group more broadly about their rides of other brands, you can start a new thread under "General Discussion." Maybe called "Full Suspension ebikes" and folks can weigh in with their experiences. Prices are available in Court's reviews and via dealers and brand websites.

Back