Range Anxiety: I did a 32 mile ride on the Ariel X ebike today!

Solarcabin

Region
USA
I did a 32 mile ride on the Ariel X ebike today! Decided to put that ebike to the test and rode to town to pick up a few things. I kept it in peddle assist 2 and with no exertion I kept it at about 23MPH the whole way even up hills. I have no ligament in my right knee but didn't experience any pain. Made it down and back in about an hour and a half and I stopped to get a drink and a burger in town. Battery still had a little charge left so now I know it can handle that trip at a decent speed and will use that more to save on gas and get some well needed exercise to improve my leg strength. My butt got a little sore but that is from not riding all winter.

Took a video of the ride and will do a review of that ebike soon. Enjoyed the scenery!
Off Grid Adventure Channel: www.youtube.com/solarcbin

What is your average trip distance and can you do it on one charge?

Ariel X and me.PNG

We ride every day, but those trips aren't long. Depending on where we are at (Florida or Mi.) distance traveled will be 4-6 miles. Mi. is a lot of grass and single track, so we don't rack up the miles quite as quickly here. Then there's the occasional day where we ride closer to 20 miles. That's about all my butt can handle in a day. Bikes will go 35 miles easily, so we generally ride until the pack gets down to about 46 volts, then charge.

Keeping it below 20mph would dramatically change your range. Above 20mph aerodynamics make a huge difference and battery range drops dramatically.

Keeping it below 20mph would dramatically change your range. Above 20mph aerodynamics make a huge difference and battery range drops dramatically.
Yep, I could get 40 miles+ easily in PAS 1 but that 23-25mph just feels right for a nice country ride and no real exertion pedaling. I didn't even feel any speed drop or change in speed going up the hills and I love hitting that throttle to get across a busy intersection. Felt much safer.

I'm with you squirting across a road safely. My bikes generally get a good poke of throttle for that purpose.

The rest of the time though, I'm happy doing 8-14mph. Retired, no hurry here....

My range will vary with speed and terrain as well. I always carry my charger with me just in case. I figure it is fairly easy to find a house or business and throw the owner $5.00 for a charge if needed.

My 8-year-old Bosch 400 is down to about 80%, I can get about 25 miles through fairly hilly country, using Eco and Tour settings. Two years ago, I was able to get 60 miles on my (then) 1-year-old 500 battery; last year I was well into the last 20% after 55 miles.

Since most of my rides are between 25 and 40 miles, I will be using the 500 battery, and carry the 400 as a backup.

Back