Ramp to basement

ThompsonRH

Region
Canada
I'm new to eBikes, I have to wait a month for the delivery of a Rize RX 2021. The issue is where to store the eBike.
I don't have a garage but am quite used to humping my regular 30pound hybrid bike down steep steps into the basement. But I can imagine that it won't be so easy with a 70 pound Rize RX.
So todays project was building a ramp that would allow me to safely roll the eBike into the basement from the back garden.
I built the ramp with leftover pieces of wood, screws and glue. The only purchase was the perfectly formed Ondura Premium9 roofing panel from Home Depot (of which I have 90% left over). It forms a deep groove to reduce the chance of the wheels running off the plank and has a rough surface so that the tyres won’t slip, especially when its a wet day. The Panel is 6'6" long so it was almost perfect.
Its trimmed off at the top so that the door still closes.
Important elements include the fact that the ramp is very sturdy but not fixed in place, its completely free standing and can be simply moved sideways so that the pedals don't catch the doorway or wall. The blue strap underneath stops it sliding away but doesn’t stop it from moving sideways a few inches.
Not particularly clever but I thought it might help others with some ideas, if they have a similar problem.

Attachments

• 210821_BikeRamp_051.jpg
    210821_BikeRamp_051.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 2,019
  • 210821_BikeRamp_058.jpg
    210821_BikeRamp_058.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 210821_BikeRamp_060.jpg
    210821_BikeRamp_060.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 917
  • 210821_BikeRamp_061.jpg
    210821_BikeRamp_061.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 774
I'm new to eBikes, I have to wait a month for the delivery of a Rize RX 2021. The issue is where to store the eBike.
I don't have a garage but am quite used to humping my regular 30pound hybrid bike down steep steps into the basement. But I can imagine that it won't be so easy with a 70 pound Rize RX.
So todays project was building a ramp that would allow me to safely roll the eBike into the basement from the back garden.
I built the ramp with leftover pieces of wood, screws and glue. The only purchase was the perfectly formed Ondura Premium9 roofing panel from Home Depot (of which I have 90% left over). It forms a deep groove to reduce the chance of the wheels running off the plank and has a rough surface so that the tyres won’t slip, especially when its a wet day. The Panel is 6'6" long so it was almost perfect.
Important elements include the fact that the ramp is very sturdy but not fixed in place, its completely free standing and can be simply moved sideways so that the pedals don't catch the doorway or wall. The blue strap underneath stops it sliding away but doesn’t stop it from moving sideways a few inches.
Not particularly clever but I thought it might help others with some ideas, if they have a similar problem.
Good idea and a nice build!

I built something similar to roll my bikes up into my pickup. I bought a 10' piece of 3" PVC pipe, cut it in half lenghtwise and then bolted the two halves together to form a channel.

P1070256a.jpg
P1070258a.jpg

I made one for my neighbor without the end pieces last year to help him get his bikes in and out of his basement. We screwed it to the stair riser away from the wall so the handlebars would clear. It really helps to have walk assist on the e-bikes.

Good idea and a nice build!

I built something similar to roll my bikes up into my pickup. I bought a 10' piece of 3" PVC pipe, cut it in half lenghtwise and then bolted the two halves together to form a channel.

View attachment 97376 View attachment 97377

I made one for my neighbor without the end pieces last year to help him get his bikes in and out of his basement. We screwed it to the stair riser away from the wall so the handlebars would clear. It really helps to have walk assist on the e-bikes.
I think you may have been the inspiration for MacGyver... ever simple yet clever.

Walk assist would be my plan as well. That leaves you on the left side of the bike while climbing out. Then, one hand on the front brake to manage the bike's weight while going down, also on the left. That's going to make that ramp want to be centered I think, but more will be known once it's been in use a few times. Great ideas though. Both about as simple and easy as you can imagine.

That security strap plan sounds like a pretty good one as well, to keep the bike from scooting the ramp while in use. Have seen the results of a ramp moving while loading a 600lb ATV into the back of a PU. When one of the 2 ramps moved, collapsing on one side, while the other stayed in place with the owner attempting to ride it into the back of his truck, that got pretty ugly very quickly. We had to pull the truck up/forward, out from under the remaining ramp, to get the darn thing off of the owner. Thankfully, nobody hurt, but lesson learned for all involved! Ramps can scoot, and if that happens, it can sometimes leave the operator in a precarious position!

Yes my thoughts in adding the blue strap. A bit like automation, great when it works but you can be in a real mess when it doesn't. I envisaged scrambling inside in a monster downpour and not being so careful, and have the ramp judder across the floor and end up with a bike tangled up around my head.

That first step is a doozy. You might want to be down that first step as you start the bike down the ramp. Also I agree with PedaLuma on getting well acquainted with walk mode before you ever try to make it up the ramp in walk mode. Walk mode is very different depending on what gear you have the derailleur in. I suggest practicing in an open area and an incline. I'd also use both brake levers when going down. Given the trough of your ramp material you should have no trouble leaning the bike a bit in to your body as you negotiate it.

I use this device from Steerstopper to keep the wheels aligned when using a ramp. It also makes the bike more stable when using walk assist:

unnamed-3.jpg

It also works well to keep the bars from swinging when stopped.

It can also be locked to add another layer of theft protection from the casual "walkaway" thief.

IMG_0135.jpg

For going down I would have bungees set up in advance to go on the brake levers. These would be set at the correct degree of pull so that you are not fighting the bike. By the way if you want to entertain a kid indoors make a neutral buoyancy helium balloon. Just add weight to the string so it hangs in the air. One alternative to the steer stopper is the deflopilrator.
1630011426157.jpeg

x2 on the deflopilator. I have one on my Mongoose and its such a small thing but is soooo useful in so many unexpected ways. You can buy a version with a connector on the down tube that is a clamp so you can use it on frames not drilled for one... which is pretty much all frames.

x2 on the deflopilator. I have one on my Mongoose and its such a small thing but is soooo useful in so many unexpected ways. You can buy a version with a connector on the down tube that is a clamp so you can use it on frames not drilled for one... which is pretty much all frames.
Anybody got a link for one of these things?

Anybody got a link for one of these things?
I think only Yuba calls it a deflopilator. You can google that word and get the Yuba page but its only good for a drilled frame. Here is one of the (many) clones on Amazon. This one is from Velo Orange which is a pretty reliable old school-ish vendor.

hmmm. this one seems to have better ratings

I think only Yuba calls it a deflopilator. You can google that word and get the Yuba page but its only good for a drilled frame. Here is one of the (many) clones on Amazon. This one is from Velo Orange which is a pretty reliable old school-ish vendor.

hmmm. this one seems to have better ratings

I've been using devices like this for years on my conventional bikes. They work well as a steering damper but do not hold the steering rigid. For general use, this is fine but I found they aren't that effective for keeping the bike tires rolling straight on a ramp.

It's a matter of personal preference though, so try one and see how it works. They certainly are cheaper than the Steerstopper!

I've been using devices like this for years on my conventional bikes. They work well as a steering damper but do not hold the steering rigid. For general use, this is fine but I found they aren't that effective for keeping the bike tires rolling straight on a ramp.

It's a matter of personal preference though, so try one and see how it works. They certainly are cheaper than the Steerstopper!
My primary use for them is to keep the front wheel from ... flopping over ... when the bike is stopped and I am doing a variety of little things on or next to the bike. Or if I am pushing the bike forward while standing next to it and holding the saddle. The deflopilator keeps the wheel straight and the bike rolling straight. All little stuff and none of it has anything to do with actually riding the bike.

For going down I would have bungees set up in advance to go on the brake levers. These would be set at the correct degree of pull so that you are not fighting the bike. By the way if you want to entertain a kid indoors make a neutral buoyancy helium balloon. Just add weight to the string so it hangs in the air. One alternative to the steer stopper is the deflopilrator.
View attachment 97931
Has anyone tried stretching a bungee cord hooked on each fork and wrapped around a frame member like the seat post to keep the wheel straight?

Back