Radwagon Renegerative Braking activates without engaging brakes

Chris P

This evening, I was riding down a long gradual hill and halfway down the regenerative brakes engaged which made it really hard to keep a decent speed. I wasn't pressing the brake levers (I even tapped on them a few times, but that didn't help).

After I stopped at a light, and started up again, it was off, and the bike worked as normal.

Has anyone had something like that happen, or know what may have caused it?

I have adjusted the rear brake and the cable tension since my brake was rubbing, but I don't really see how that would do anything to engage the regenerative brakes.

I'm not too sure what you're trying to say here.

The regenerative brakes engaged and they didn't allow you to maintain a constant speed? As in they were too strong? I believe the last I heard that the system is all internal in the motor - correct?

I have experienced this- On the same hill (a long 60% grade slope approx) when in power assist 3, the motor does not disengage to allow coasting for about a block unless I tap my break. Same hill, same place, same distance, every time. No other issues like it. Once it releases I get up to about 30 coasting. My battery is about 4/5th used as it is the end of my commute. Not a big issue so I never think about it much.

I have experienced this- On the same hill (a long 60% grade slope approx) when in power assist 3, the motor does not disengage to allow coasting for about a block unless I tap my break. Same hill, same place, same distance, every time. No other issues like it. Once it releases I get up to about 30 coasting. My battery is about 4/5th used as it is the end of my commute. Not a big issue so I never think about it much.
Weird. Well I'll try that hill again and see if I can get it to do the same thing. The only difference is that it didn't release when I tapped my brakes. I love the regenerative brakes, but I would prefer that it use inertia to regenerate, not my legs.

I did a longer ride yesterday with lots of hills and long open trails.

It looks like the regenerative braking engaged every time I went over 20mph.

Now I really want to see if there is a way i can disable it. I am fine with the electric assist maxing out at 20mph, but if I am pedaling under my own strength I really don't want the motor working against me.

Does anyone know if I can find any more documentation on the motor or controller so I can see if i can disable it? The manual is pretty sparse on info.

Hi Chris,

If you have not already talked to our team at [email protected] I recommend you give them a shout and maybe schedule swinging into the retail store in Ballard when it is convenient for you, they will see if there is maybe a setting that it incorrect in the programming, as you should be able to freewheel/pedal to higher top speeds.

There is no user accessible switch to turn regen on/off, it has to be done in our facility with a special programming dongle and software program.

My wagon has the latest programming and I am able to travel much faster going down phinney ridge hill on market street for example, so we should be able to get this corrected!

Hi Chris,

If you have not already talked to our team at [email protected] I recommend you give them a shout and maybe schedule swinging into the retail store in Ballard when it is convenient for you, they will see if there is maybe a setting that it incorrect in the programming, as you should be able to freewheel/pedal to higher top speeds.

There is no user accessible switch to turn regen on/off, it has to be done in our facility with a special programming dongle and software program.

My wagon has the latest programming and I am able to travel much faster going down phinney ridge hill on market street for example, so we should be able to get this corrected!
Really? Would this be helpful with my model?

Hi @Barkme Wolf It sounds like this is a slightly different condition then Chris. Slip mode regen should not be coming on, but if it turns off with the application of the brakes, or the throttle momentarily, it should not be a concern.

Hi @Barkme Wolf It sounds like this is a slightly different condition then Chris. Slip mode regen should not be coming on, but if it turns off with the application of the brakes, or the throttle momentarily, it should not be a concern.
It turns "OFF" when I "tap" my breaks. It stays engaged after I stop peddling to cost and either disengages itself after a block or if I "tap" the breaks.Only in assist 3 and only on one particular hill. It isn't a big issue because of the rarity.

I’m having a similar issue with my Radcity. Once I stop pedaling or stop turning the throttle, and it hits 000 Watts, the Regen kicks in and slows me down to a halt. Not just on certain hills. It’s consistent. I have to manually brake and bring the bike to a full hault, and only after I do that will the motor drive the bike. It’s kind of dangerous, I have to consistently pedal or throttle because if I try to coast then the Regen will kick in and its happened while I was in the middle of traffic. If I pedal or throttle once the Regen kicks in, it’ll show wattage on the LCD, but the motor won’t be turning. That’s probably making the hub over heat. This is happened when I installed a new controller & LCD that Jules from radpower sent me. He’s been very helpful btw!

Not sure what’s going.

Did anyone figure out this out? my radwagon's regenerative braking always comes on when trying to coast. I've been putting up with it...but needing to throttle or pedal all the time kinda sux.

I recently purchased a Rad City and I'm unclear how the regenerative braking works. It seems when I coast downhill it kicks in(or at least feels like it). Do I have to use the brakes to regen or not? Thanks for any help.

Tech support at Rad Power said it's triggered by the speed. When I emailed to ask how I could fix it, I got the response below;

--------
"regenerative braking will kick on when you reach a certain threshold speed. You are able to adjust this setting by increasing that speed in your settings menu.

With the bike on, hold the up and down selector arrows on your control pad to enter the settings menu. The display should change and begin flashing with your preset wheel diameter. Press "MODE" to cycle through menus until your display reads "32kph". From here, press the up arrow to increase your motors' limit up to 40kph. When done, Hold "MODE" to save and exit the settings menu."
------

I had already adjusted my speed limiter and the regenerative braking kicks in at any speed...just coasting. I was hoping I'd find an actual fix. Pretty sure it's a different setting than what the tech suggested or firmware programming on the controller, but haven't figured it out yet...guess I will continue throttling down hill(!)

I’ve had my Rad Wagon for about 3 weeks now and love it, with the exception of the afore mentioned regenerative braking hangup frustration!

Thanks Hoopty For posting the instructions on how to increase the limit for regenerative braking! I followed the same instructions and it worked well!

This particular method seems to also increase the limit on pedal assist as well. Max mph I could get it up to was 24 - 25mph before pedal assist turned off and regenerative braking kicked in.

Unfortunately at this time there doesn’t seem to be a way to turn off the pedal assist completely. There only seems to be a way to raise the limit to 32kph / 25mph. 😩

Would be nice if Rad would create an actual physical switch which would allow you to turn regenerative braking on and off to be able to coast down hills if you wish to.

Coasting down the hills has always been one of my greatest joys in biking, especially when you’re on a safe bike trail. I understand the need to regulate speed and ensure safety for those on the street but dedicated bike trails I feel are a great place to flex your biking muscles and let ‘er rip!!!!

Also, I do a lot of commuting on my bike and getting a little more speed down the hills always makes my commute that much faster. Its frustrating to be held back when I know I’ve been able to get through certain sections must faster on my regular bike!

Have you tried setting PAS to 0 or turning off the motor altogether (press and hold the center button) when coasting down a long hill? I will occasionally adjust the PAS setting while riding and it is not that much of an issue to glance at or feel for the appropriate button to push.

Also, is regen actually kicking in (270 or so watts displayed) or does the motor just stop providing assist above the max speed setting so it just feels like regen is active?

I’m sorry - I don’t have any significant hills in my area to test out these conditions.

Have you tried setting PAS to 0 or turning off the motor altogether (press and hold the center button) when coasting down a long hill? I will occasionally adjust the PAS setting while riding and it is not that much of an issue to glance at or feel for the appropriate button to push.

Also, is regen actually kicking in (270 or so watts displayed) or does the motor just stop providing assist above the max speed setting so it just feels like regen is active?

I’m sorry - I don’t have any significant hills in my area to test out these conditions.

Hey RangerDave,
That’s a great idea to switch to 0 when coming to hills. Will try that on my commute tomorrow morning! The regen is definitely kicking in down hills, I can feel a literal brake type feel when it kicks in down hills as my body slightly lurches forward with momentum when it kicks in. I’ll try again tomorrow on the hills to verify. Will also try the 0 technique and let you know how it works. Thank you Dave!

When I'm pedalling down a hill and I get to 25 mph, the regen kicks in and holds me back even when I standing on the pedals to apply more power. Did they ever resolve this problem? I can't go past 25 mph on my own as the regen is fighting me. I would gladly pay for a new controller if that is what it takes to fix this problem.

I got the Bolton upgrade controller and display. It has access to lots of program tweaks in it. I think this will solve the problem. It also has a way to adjust the regen levels.

Back