Radrover Controller & Display Upgrade Kit

spmckinnon

Well I just installed and tested out my Radrover Upgrade kit from Boltonebikes.com.
It's a 35a controller and I also chose the KT-LCD8H color display.
My 500W Canadian 2018 Radrover absolutely flies up hills now.
I recommend this to any Radrover owner who wants more power, especially if you bought the 500W Canadian model.
I affixed the controller to the frame with industrial velcro and a few zip ties, seems to be on there pretty good.

Finally I have access to the full potential of the motor.
I'm going up steep hills now at 33-35KM with light pedalling whereas before I'd be struggling to reach 15km/h.

Will post back after some longer rides and commutes to see how battery life is and top speed. Have only done a short test run.

The controller fits ok with the stock fenders too.

One thing to note my PAS sensor wasn't working right away, changing setting C1 to 3 fixed the problem.

IMG_20190308_170158.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_170141.jpg
    IMG_20190308_170141.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5,196
Last edited:
If you aren't happy with the new range available, and willing to sacrifice some performance to increase it, you can limit the max amperage available to the motor very easily. It's very easy to reach a set of compromise settings. Same story on PAS levels.

Check with Bolton to be sure prior to ordering, but pretty sure this kit will work with the direct drive models as well - leaving you with the same performance increases and degree of control over the electronic settings you get using it on a Rover.

I have a EU 2018 RadRover, so you are saying that uphill if I use the throttle it will give me over 1000w? Whereas now only gives 745w max? This sounds very interesting.

I have a EU 2018 RadRover, so you are saying that uphill if I use the throttle it will give me over 1000w? Whereas now only gives 745w max? This sounds very interesting.

I just tested this a few minutes ago, went uphill, full throttle and it peaked at 1440W. It doesn't sustain that level for long as the bike will accelerate and the power draw lessens. It's quite impressive to feel this level of torque.

I just tested this a few minutes ago, went uphill, full throttle and it peaked at 1440W. It doesn't sustain that level for long as the bike will accelerate and the power draw lessens. It's quite impressive to feel this level of torque.

Ok, that really sounds impressive... Do you have any information if the controller's case (box) is water resistant (sealed)?

Ok, that really sounds impressive... Do you have any information if the controller's case (box) is water resistant (sealed)?

I was wondering that myself. I suspect its not as sealed as the stock controller. The stock controller has like a thick layer of waterproofing inside of it. This newer controller is built quite well, I think it would be ok in very light rain, but I wouldn't take it in moderate to heavy rain personally. I would contact the seller for details.

As long as the new controller is installed with harness pointing down (as suggested by Bolton), the "as received" water resistance of KT controllers is just OK. Not hard to improve on if you are looking for better. Anyone capable of installing this kit should be able to do a pretty good job if they have the need and set their mind to it.

Interesting. They listed the kit as an upgrade for the 2017-2018 Radrover. I have a 2016, I don't think there was any change from 2016 to 2017, even the same Dolphin battery form factor (might have increased the capacity, don't remember exactly). I think I'm going to give this a try.

Interesting. They listed the kit as an upgrade for the 2017-2018 Radrover. I have a 2016, I don't think there was any change from 2016 to 2017, even the same Dolphin battery form factor (might have increased the capacity, don't remember exactly). I think I'm going to give this a try.

Here are the cable interfaces from the upgraded controller, do they match your 2016 model?

1552185325427.png

Looks the same. Didn't take all of them off because I didn't want to cut the zipties yet. I will do that soon enough as I had already ordered the kit.

So i finally took the Radrover out for on my commute with the upgrade and I can report back a more detailed comparison.

With stock controller:
I would always be in PAS 5, my wattage would sit just shy of 500W (canadian version). I would constantly shift gears to ensure I could sustain a relatively consistent cadence.

With Upgraded Controller:
Keep it on PAS 3 for flats and downhill. Wattage sits at or around 650W on flats, I'm holding a pretty steady 40km/h on flats.
For hills if I'm in a hurry commuting, I crank the pedal assist to 5 or fully twist the throttle to get some extra power. I can typically maintain 35km/h uphill.
Downhill I hit around 45km/h.

So far I've got my commute to 43mins down from 46mins (25km).

I was worried battery would drain a lot faster but I end up at work with about 30% left, where with the stock controller I had around 40% left.

Really, really impressed with the upgrade.

So i finally took the Radrover out for on my commute with the upgrade and I can report back a more detailed comparison.

With stock controller:
I would always be in PAS 5, my wattage would sit just shy of 500W (canadian version). I would constantly shift gears to ensure I could sustain a relatively consistent cadence.

With Upgraded Controller:
Keep it on PAS 3 for flats and downhill. Wattage sits at or around 650W on flats, I'm holding a pretty steady 40km/h on flats.
For hills if I'm in a hurry commuting, I crank the pedal assist to 5 or fully twist the throttle to get some extra power. I can typically maintain 35km/h uphill.
Downhill I hit around 45km/h.

So far I've got my commute to 43mins down from 46mins (25km).

I was worried battery would drain a lot faster but I end up at work with about 30% left, where with the stock controller I had around 40% left.

Really, really impressed with the upgrade.

Thanks for starting this thread and for posting subsequent updates. I've been thinking of this update for a while after seeing the utube video on the installation. I'm also in Canada and find the output of the stock 500 watt version we get pretty lame. Due to your review I ordered the upgrade kit from Bolton's last night. Thanks again for your insight.

It's not working on my 2016 Radrover. I just get an error code "03 info" when I crank it or give it throttle. All the connectors are the same, but the connector to the motor, on mine seem to have some connector blades surrounding the 3 prongs. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. The error code on the manual indicates discrepancy in the motor hall sensor. Luckily I didn't mount it yet, or unmounted the original, i only connected the wires to test it first.

Edit: It works. Likely I might not have shoved the motor connector quite far enough. I was all set to watch through the LCD programming video from Bolton to see if it's a setting I can change. I reconnected everything and made sure all the connectors are tight... and success. Now I just have to mount everything.

Last edited:
Just received my kit from Bolton, three day delivery and no duties or taxes crossing the border into Canada. I'll review it when it's installed.

I would still watch the video, it will help you dial the settings in. I had to change the C1 setting to 3 to get PAS working.

Definitely have to play with the settings. On mine, C1 of 1, 2, or 3, the PAS works, felt like at 3 the PAS was giving me too much assist. Not sure, I just did a quick 5 mile ride to test it out. And made a couple of changes on the road. The 2016 has a 6 magnet sensor, I think Rad change to a 12 magnet sensor later, not sure when.

My impression is that this gives the bike a definite boost. The torque is almost instant, especially with the throttle. One of the reviewers at the Bolton product page said that their Radmini practically does wheelies. That might not be that big an exaggeration. From a stop, while my weight wasn't quite on the bike yet (one foot on the ground), my front wheel lifted when I gave it too much throttle too fast. Going to have to get use to the feel and modulate the throttle from now on.

I saw almost 1200 watts on a hill. This power will come in handy on street traffic where getting up to speed quick is good.

I saw almost 1200 watts on a hill. This power will come in handy on street traffic where getting up to speed quick is good.
Completely agree. It's already saved me once from escaping an intersection. I hit 1500W today going up a hill while carrying my child in the child seat.

The stock controller is set up with a "soft start" where power to the motor is ramped up slowly to prevent people from being startled/alarmed like they might be if the power came on immediately. Nice if that's your cup of tea, but in a perfect world, you should have a sya in the matter. That's what Boltons kit gives you. One thing anyway....

Back