RadRover chain

Tars Tarkas

The RadRover uses an EMC Z7 chain. I've got enough miles on my bike I wouldn't mind having a spare chain on the shelf. I'm comfortable working with chains but I know next to nothing about chain sizes. I'm wondering what other chains are compatible. I have no complaints about the EOM EMC but wonder if there might be something better out there. How does on know -- is there a chart somewhere that cross-tabs chains pr provides a good general education?

The EMC Z7 is 1/2" x 3/32", 116 links. The Shimano CN-HG71 6/7/8-Speed Chain says it comes with 116 links but I can't find anywhere that gives the link dimensions.

Any help, comments?

Thanks,

TT

How many miles on your rover? I have about +3500 miles on each of my two 2016 Rovers. I've haven't had any issues with the chains; but, it would be nice to know my options if I do (or just routine preventive maint).

I'm not having any issues; I'd like to learn a little bit about chains and take a look at what's out there before I have a problem that needs solving right away..

So, I guess no one knows anymore than me...

I replace the chain on my RadCity about every 700 to 1000 miles. So far I've been using a KMC Z51/Z8.1 chain and have been very happy with it. This chain is about 10 bucks on Amazon.

I'm not having any issues; I'd like to learn a little bit about chains and take a look at what's out there before I have a problem that needs solving right away..
Chains will all be 1/2" x 3/32" when specified for 6/7/8 speed bikes. Any other sizing would be unusual.
I went with Connex Whipperman chains. Tough as nails and outlast any other. Shop around to find better pricing!

Last edited:

So, I guess no one knows anymore than me...
If you lose the chain you can still use the throttle though, right?

I replace the chain on my RadCity about every 700 to 1000 miles. So far I've been using a KMC Z51/Z8.1 chain and have been very happy with it. This chain is about 10 bucks on Amazon.
I haven't measured my chain in a while, but that seems pretty frequent. You're right though, for 10 of 15 bucks why not keep ahead of it!

TT

Chains will all be 1/2" x 3/32" when specified for 6/7/8 speed bikes. Any other sizing would be unusual.
I went with Connex Whipperman chains. Tough as nails and outlast any other. Shop around to find better pricing!
Good info. Thanks.

TT

I would hope there would be some fairly obvious signs of wear before it gets to that point.
Sure using a simple tool.

better yet,

More info, HG chains are for HG freewheels. Hyperglide. Not on Rad bikes. An HG chain might work on a non HG freewheel but probably not the best shifting.
Also heard that some chains off Amazon are too short for Rad bikes.
If your chain is worn out the freewheel probably is too. The City uses a DNP 11-34 screw on freewheel. You have to make sure the largest sprocket is way bigger than the next one or the ratios will be less useable for an ebike ie some 11-34 freewheels have different intermediate sprockets than the ones used on Rad that are also 11-34.
About 2500 to 3000 miles is the right time for a new freewheel and chain for a rear motor bike. Or if you have a chain wear tool use that data. More often on a non ebike due to higher pedaling forces over time and more often on a mid drive ebike.

Since they wear together many 6000 mile bikes will still shift good and quiet but it’s still best to replace both.

Last edited:
I have a spare chain, just buy any 7 speed chain, it should be compatible. As for length, just measure from the old chain when you're gonna take it off. That's what I usually do.

So far, I have about 3000 miles, stock chain's still looking good.

Back