RadRover 5 Power

Sailormannn

Looking for comments on the Canadian version of the RadRover 5. Does it have enough power?

It comes with a 500 w motor vs 750 w in USA. Presume the 500 w version might be amped up for performance as both are rated 80 Nm Max Motor Torque, have same payload capacity, etc.

Any complaints from Canadians on the lower wattage motor. Has anyone compared real life experience to the US Version ... or are the differences so small it doesn’t matter.

You might want to want look at this. Canadian poster.

If u are under 125 lbs and have no hills to climb 500W for a 67 lb bike is Still barely adequate.

You know that the current bikes are that way for sure? The reason I wonder is they are now advertised as having 80nm of torque. I don't know that they were doing that previously, when they were in fact using that 350 watt motor. Thinking there's a possibility they reacted to all the complaints (finally), but there's no way to know until somebody pulls a recent production bike down. If you just flat come out and ask them, I doubt seriously you're going to get info I would trust.....

You know that the current bikes are that way for sure? The reason I wonder is they are now advertised as having 80nm of torque. I don't know that they were doing that previously, when they were in fact using that 350 watt motor. Thinking there's a possibility they reacted to all the complaints (finally), but there's no way to know until somebody pulls a recent production bike down. If you just flat come out and ask them, I doubt seriously you're going to get info I would trust.....

Good question. Hopefully someone can independently verify. If both the US and Canadian models are using the same 350 watt motor that would seem misleading at best. Would be interested to see if this has changed with the 2020 RR 5.

I suspect that the Canadian and American RadRovers have the same motor and different controllers, but I don't know this with any certainty. Here is the backside of the original controller from my 2018 Canadian model.

Attachments

• 20200906_195316.jpg
    20200906_195316.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 304
Well, that ends my theory. I was able to pull around 745 watts max with that controller. I'm occasionally seeing over 1300 watts with the upgrade controller. I've travelled about 900 kms with the new controller, with no issues, but I'm mostly on PAS 1, 2, or 3 with an occasional visit to 4 or 5. I use the throttle liberally to get across intersections and bike path crossings. I'm hoping the motorists appreciate the reduced wait time :) I also changed the freewheel to 11-34 like the newer bikes. I now find the PAS levels and gears to be better matched than they were with the original set-up. The PAS used to always seem like it was too much or not enough.

Maybe there is different firmware in the Canadian Lcd display?

I did a 42T to 46T upgrade to the chain ring my legs dont have to turn so fast.

We know RAD has many of the functions available on the OEM display they are using are locked down by somebody. Not accessible anyway. I HIGHLY suspect that one of the reasons for that is the fact that the power available to the motor has been limited using one of those locked down settings..... Seems like a shame for sure, but it has to be cheaper for RAD to do it that way than trying to stock 2 different bikes - one Canadian and the other US version.

So just a thought. I wonder what would happen if that display (where I'm pretty sure all the settings reside) were purchased on the aftermarket (Kingmeter LCD SW-900)? Note that if you're going to try this, there's a flat connector and a round connector available. Make sure you get the one that matches your bike!

Back