RadMini update soon??

CrossfitCommute

Buyer's remorse is real and so I do everything I can to future proof my choices lol struggle bus!
Anyways my lectric Xp has been overall great but...
It's heavy, I hate mechanical disc brakes and I hate 4 inch fattys.
Seeing Rad and the new City commuter with juice brakes and nice display has me wondering if they're going to give
the mini a similar make over. If it gets the same upgrades and weighs around 50-55 lbs I'm all in.
Any rumors?

Ohh.. okay.

But still, if you don't like the Lectric XP's 4 inch tire, can't you just switch the tire?

I think switching the whole bike just because of tire size is a bit too much.
In my case I was planning to get the XP as an easy bike to transport as well as the lower price. But I already had a Rad Rover and decided it would be stupid to get the XP as most all the components for the mini were the same as the rover especially the battery. I had also watched a side by side comparison video of the XP and mini. The XP was faster which was of 0 interest to me but the mini was said to be the overall better bike. I must say though that I do like the tires on the mini better than the ones on my rover. I'll probably switch to a street tire on the rover when the ones that came on it wear out. They have 2 years and over 3,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread though so guess I'll get at least another year out of them. For me the brakes are no issue as they don't get all that much use and are simple to adjust.

In my case I was planning to get the XP as an easy bike to transport as well as the lower price. But I already had a Rad Rover and decided it would be stupid to get the XP as most all the components for the mini were the same as the rover especially the battery. I had also watched a side by side comparison video of the XP and mini. The XP was faster which was of 0 interest to me but the mini was said to be the overall better bike. I must say though that I do like the tires on the mini better than the ones on my rover. I'll probably switch to a street tire on the rover when the ones that came on it wear out. They have 2 years and over 3,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread though so guess I'll get at least another year out of them. For me the brakes are no issue as they don't get all that much use and are simple to adjust.
The lesson I learned about running street tires on a fatty was not good. I tried 26x4 Origin 8's and then 26x3 Kenda Flames. They have a self steering issue until they have enough pressure in them to just about ruin any thoughts of a good ride. Origin 8's still have all the tit's on the tires, Kenda Flames still have most. Both will be for sale soon, will come with inner tubes.

Bike has been converted to 27.5 x2.8" Schwalbe Super Moto-X balloon tires, the way I should have ordered it originally. Very sure footed, great ride, and surprisingly low rolling resistance even when run at low pressure. Live and learn....

Any rumors?
You may be onto something because RAD is at least contemplating changes in the RADMini. I know this because they recently sent out a questionnaire to Mini buyers asking for suggestions for changes. With the latest updates in the RADCity that really improved that bike, it's not inconceivable that the Mini will get some similar updates. Questions regarding whether tires should be narrower and if the folding ability is really necessary, and also asked about better handlebar styles, fenders, and seats, and then finalized by asking for suggestions each rider thinks will improve the Mini. Might be worth a wait.

"They have a self steering issue until they have enough pressure in them to just about ruin any thoughts of a good ride." What is that pressure? I have 20 in the Rover tires and 25 in the Mini.

"They have a self steering issue until they have enough pressure in them to just about ruin any thoughts of a good ride." What is that pressure? I have 20 in the Rover tires and 25 in the Mini.
20-22 psi in the rear, about 18 in front, is about what I was running as a compromise between the self steering issue and trying to maintain a decent ride. It would still exhibit some self steering, but it was more at a level that was irritating than something that would take you by surprise. The surprise I experienced was that at that 20 psi, IMHO, the fatty's do not ride as well as the Schwalbe balloon tires, they FEEL heavier (because they are), and there's way more rolling resistance. For comparison, the Schwalbe balloon tires are running at about 30-35psi in back and 20-25 in the front.

If it were not for the self steering issue, the street fatty's would be awesome. The issue with the street tires is, I think, the amount of contact area/rubber actually in contact with the pavement. There just too much at lower pressures. Knobby types don't have that issue at all! That's why I bring this up frequently. NOBODY (or rarely at best) is talking about the self steering issue exhibited by the fat street tires. I hate the idea of people spending the money those darn things cost, only to discover a rather unpleasant surprise.... -Al

20-22 psi in the rear, about 18 in front, is about what I was running as a compromise between the self steering issue and trying to maintain a decent ride. It would still exhibit some self steering, but it was more at a level that was irritating than something that would take you by surprise. The surprise I experienced was that at that 20 psi, IMHO, the fatty's do not ride as well as the Schwalbe balloon tires, they FEEL heavier (because they are), and there's way more rolling resistance. For comparison, the Schwalbe balloon tires are running at about 30-35psi in back and 20-25 in the front.

If it were not for the self steering issue, the street fatty's would be awesome. The issue with the street tires is, I think, the amount of contact area/rubber actually in contact with the pavement. There just too much at lower pressures. Knobby types don't have that issue at all! That's why I bring this up frequently. NOBODY (or rarely at best) is talking about the self steering issue exhibited by the fat street tires. I hate the idea of people spending the money those darn things cost, only to discover a rather unpleasant surprise.... -Al
Interesting,thank you. The 3" street tires on the mini obviously have less rolling resistance and are quieter than the rover tires which is why I was thinking of switching to Origin 8's. On the other hand the 8's are twice or more the cost of the stock Kendas and in truth I'm very happy with the stock rover anyway

I should have added that one thing I didn't like about the mini was that at full extension it was still a bit short on me (I'm 5'11"). I replaced the seat post with a longer 450mm post for around $22 and that made a huge difference.

Interesting,thank you. The 3" street tires on the mini obviously have less rolling resistance and are quieter than the rover tires which is why I was thinking of switching to Origin 8's. On the other hand the 8's are twice or more the cost of the stock Kendas and in truth I'm very happy with the stock rover anyway
If you'd like to try a set of Origin 8's at a reduced price, I could help you out. They're like new, and will come with a set of tubes. I'd love to hear somebody else's point of view. Shoot me a PM if interested. -Al

The stock Kendas are pretty much the worst tires on the market, if you care about rolling resistance.
Yeah they're cheap, but you only get what you pay for.
I'm sure you are correct but since I'm happy with the bike and the amount of use I'm getting out of the tires would the improvement be worth the cost to me? This is still all pretty new to me. Presently I have over 3,000 miles on the tires and expect over a 1,000 more before they're worn out. How much more wear would I get out of tires costing more than twice as much?

Here, Kenda Juggernaut scored the worst and Schwalbe Jumbo Jim scored the best.

I don't know about Origin 8 (aka Chaoyang SandStorm) though.
Comparing apples with oranges, no?
Origin 8's are pavement tread, the others are both knobby designs.

My point was that, just because Kenda is cheap, doesn't mean you're getting the best deal.
There's a trade off for low price.
Rider priorities would enter in to that picture as well.

I talked with a tire dealer regarding the Speedsters. I was getting ready to try a set - until he shared they receive a lot of feedback regarding self steering with those as well. I already learned that lesson, so there was no point....

The Kenda Flame tire I have are 26x3 and fit on 80mm rims fine. Kind of a square look as the tread is about the same width as the rim.

Similar boat as the OP. Waiting on return label for the RR6 I got last week that's too much bike for my needs and I'm considering the Mini 4, but suspect a new version may be out by Spring. I'm on the east coast and won't use it much till then.
But the price is good on the current Mini 4 right now at $1299. Could go lower when a new Mini comes out or the M4 could disappear completely. Then I'm stuck paying closer to an RR6 price.
Wait a few months and pay more for a better bike or save a few bucks and get one now. Lighter would be my request and don't care about folding.
If I get it now, my camping buddy is sure to get the upgraded model when it comes out. Argghhh!!

Hi murbot
I wouldn't be so quick to give up the Rover for a Mini. With a little time, you may find a better appreciation for what you already have. I have both and learned how each will behave in various types of the rough terrain that is a playground out here in the west. One first needs to realize that the Rover is perfect for use in this huge sand box that begins in Texas and stretches all the way to the Pacific ocean, and west of the Rockies from Mexico to Canada. Not only do they do well in sandy environments, but are also known for doing well in snowy conditions, as the story goes, where the idea for fat bikes was originally conceived.
The concept for their differences in design should also be considered. Are you really going to be happy with the smaller easily deflected wheels and folding design of the Mini that can leave a rider somewhat vulnerable in areas where the Rover shines - such as when blasting thru mounds of soft sand while descending a mountain pass.
If none of that really appeals to you, then have a good look at the latest RADCity and it's latest improvements. I also have a RADCity step-thru and wouldn't sell any of my bikes. The RadCity is ideal for riding miles of hard surface and pavement. Happy trails...

Hi murbot
I wouldn't be so quick to give up the Rover for a Mini. With a little time, you may find a better appreciation for what you already have. I have both and learned how each will behave in various types of the rough terrain that is a playground out here in the west. One first needs to realize that the Rover is perfect for use in this huge sand box that begins in Texas and stretches all the way to the Pacific ocean, and west of the Rockies from Mexico to Canada. Not only do they do well in sandy environments, but are also known for doing well in snowy conditions, as the story goes, where the idea for fat bikes was originally conceived.
The concept for their differences in design should also be considered. Are you really going to be happy with the smaller easily deflected wheels and folding design of the Mini that can leave a rider somewhat vulnerable in areas where the Rover shines - such as when blasting thru mounds of soft sand while descending a mountain pass.
If none of that really appeals to you, then have a good look at the latest RADCity and it's latest improvements. I also have a RADCity step-thru and wouldn't sell any of my bikes. The RadCity is ideal for riding miles of hard surface and pavement. Happy trails...
Thanks, Banzai.
It's been a struggle to decide due to exactly the things to you mention. I live about 30 miles north of DC (which we still call the east coast when speaking to folks in other parts for some weird reason) and we tow our trailer a couple hours to sites with gravely roads and fairly basic and worn trails. Traveling with the size of the RR6 would add another dimension to how we pack things. If I had a good place to use the Rover conveniently, I would keep it. I need it to be as easy as possible to travel with.
I need something with a smoother ride and easier pedaling for and old injury. I'll mostly be tooling around campgrounds and riding with my young kids and wife.

It's frustrating because I would really enjoy riding the Rover on the trails I've rode since the 90's. I just can't do the bouncy up and down stuff with my injury.

Hi murbot
I wouldn't be so quick to give up the Rover for a Mini.
This is actually my dilemna, along with the thread title.

I have a Step Thru 3, love it to the moon and back. Had it for a couple years. Thinking of pulling the trigger on the new Rover 6 but am wondering if I should wait for a Mini update. Wondering if that might balance me a bit better as I already have an upright bike for the long 75-100k tours on weekends.

So two questions for anyone with even an ounce of advice:

1. Do you think they will update the mini with the new battery, hyraulics, etc - like they did with the Rover and Steph Thru?
2. Is the Rover so close to the Step Thru I should be thinking a different footprint with something like the Mini?

No wrong answers! Just trying to gorm as much info and opinions as I can. And super thanks to anyone with time to share.

Back